Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2022, 09:02   #76
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What to do about this fool anchoring too close?

All you can do is fender up as best you can, get your engine working again and move on.
The other option is (if your up to it) kick his ass and tell him to move.. and hope he's not a popular local with big friends.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 11:51   #77

Re: What to do about this fool anchoring too close?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
<snip>.

I wonder if I peed on his deck would I be violating illegal dumping rules since it didn't hit the water directly???

Curiously... dumping directly into the ocean (pee +) is legal. Not legal is using an intermediate container and then dumping the filled container.

Strange but true...
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 13:42   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldPinkler View Post
Maritime said they can't do much. Only laws for moored vessels
Abnsolute rubbish, the Transport Operations Marine Safety Act does not ONLY APPLY to Moored Vessels. Keep ringing MSQ till you find someone with a clue.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:48   #79

Boat: Allied Princess 36'

Anchor lines fray when a piece of floatsom rubs against them. Swimming a night might see that happen.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:11   #80

Boat: Jeanneau 440

As a Harbormaster in my previous life. I can tell you with certainty that, if you ever came up to my office or hailed me on the VHF regarding a situation like described we would respond with a Patrol boat and immediately take action. The subject vessel owner would be told to move his vessel. If he refused, he would be issued summonses and (moved anyway) If the vessel was unmanned, the Patrol officers would take the vessel in tow to a safer location. All must remember! “there’s always two sides to every story”
Mooseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:13   #81

If you are unable to, or uncomfortable moving your vessel in its current state or conditions, then make the situation as safe as possible. Put out fenders on your vessel and tie one if possible to the other vessel. Raft your vessels together to avoid the bumps. If no one is on board the vessel and it is dragging, then it is a derelict vessel and the coast guard should intervene. Wording is everything. A vessel is bumping into me is not alarming, a derelict vessel damaging natural resources and impeding safe navigation is. As for the person on board in a state of intoxication, he is not drunk letting his boat hit yours, he is having a medical emergency that may okay not be related to a diabetic incident, both police, fire ad coast guard will respond. You are just a concerned boater that realizes diabetic incidents can mimic intoxication placing him in a state that is a danger to himself or others.
ccanupii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:18   #82

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseboat View Post
As a Harbormaster in my previous life. I can tell you with certainty that, if you ever came up to my office or hailed me on the VHF regarding a situation like described we would respond with a Patrol boat and immediately take action. The subject vessel owner would be told to move his vessel. If he refused, he would be issued summonses and (moved anyway) If the vessel was unmanned, the Patrol officers would take the vessel in tow to a safer location. All must remember! “there’s always two sides to every story”
Which boat would you move?
The boat that OP has and keeps swinging down on the other boat or the other boat that OP says anchored within his swinging area? And what if OP used an unreasonable scope?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:22   #83

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom 71'

Conversation after hearing the rattle of an anchor chain.

"Hey, you're a little too close don't you think?"
"Oh its OK, we're made of steel!"
Old 04-03-2022, 07:29   #84
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by YANDINA View Post
Conversation after hearing the rattle of an anchor chain.

"Hey, you're a little too close don't you think?"
"Oh its OK, we're made of steel!"
steel and uninsured is the best preventative. did that 1997-98. was fun and preventative. . but short of that, kedging away works well.. best of luck to you. protect your boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:30   #85

Boat: Nor'Sea 27
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash

If your motor is not working, hook your dinghy along side and move it to a better place...
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:57   #86

Not much you can do personally, that person is responsible for his vessel, although now, you know of the problem, I have no doubt the courts would find you partially liable. Besides that, who wants to go the court route.
Personally, when the vessels crew goes ashore, go over, do not go on the boat, but toss a nut or ss cotter pin on his deck, close to the mast. When crew finds it, they will look at it and look up the mast, look at it and look up the mast. Then you can sit back in the cockpit with a nice drink and watch him in his bosuns chair up the mast for an hour or so, trying to find out where that hardware came from. May not solve your problem but sort of gives you a feeling of the jerk deserved it.
There is one other thing you might try. When you see the Capt. of this other vessel, tell him your engine is not running and makes it impossible for you to re-anchor, but you would be happy to help him move his anchor over 50'. After we get you reset, you can come over to my boat and I'll buy ya a rum and coke or beer and we can talk boats.
One of these can make you feel a bit better, one might solve your problem
Happy sailing all..... Capt. Vince Rakstis, RetMS St.Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:00   #87

Boat: Gemini 105mc

Reading OP, I would say the fool is the one on the broken down boat that has been anchored in the same spot for months who is complaining about another boat on the internet instead of getting his boat working order and himself to safety.
qwerme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:08   #88

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldPinkler View Post
What to do about this #@%!?

I've had problems with this guy. Called another friend on mooring because twice I bumped his boat off the other with the inflatable when the wind changed.

He moved his boat where mine would swing. Blew air horn 5 times at 6am to back off. Wouldn't move but tied a rope to shore (not allowed here). Huge squall come through at 10am then the bump followed by 40 knots.

I've already been to the police... can't help. Told me I could go to the courthouse and stand in front of magistrate but part legal fees if unsuccessful. Coast guard has no jurisdiction. Maritime said they can't do much. Only laws for moored vessels. I can't move because I'm working on the engine.

It's 3am. Tired. Just spent 2 hours in squalls fending off a different boat that the fool also put too close to me. It took some damage with it's rail torn off along side me. A bunch of holes where my boat hook shoved it away. It dragged off into the night now after I attached my other anchor to pull it away and sideways. Hopefully it ends up on the beach, not another boat and I get my anchor back.

(In Australia)
If he is not there I would be tempted to move his boat for him by lifting the anchor and drifting out of your space and placing it again.
Thats an insurance job, but would you want to claim. Against your insurance and let your insurance go after his for costs.
Happened near me with moorings, only the first insurance company proves that the then offending mooring / boat was out of its location, only for the blamed party insurance to prove that the first mooring claiming was more out of location than the blamed - result was the mooring company quickly going out of business.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:09   #89
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post

If the vessel was not displaying the proper signals then one risks the insurance company denying a claim and a different apportioning of the liability between the vessels.
I doubt that. It is very hard to prove liability in this situation, as evidenced by all the back in forth on this thread. Each owner's boat will probably just pay the damage for each boat. That is, assuming each boat is insured.
Old 04-03-2022, 08:33   #90

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Here is a land based analogy that tells you how I would handle this.

If a car parks in front of my house and blocks my driveway on a residential street that otherwise lacks "No Parking" signs, they technically are not breaking the law but have become a real ass. I assure you that car would not be blocking my driveway for very long. It would get moved one way or the other.
. No, I think they are technically breaking the law.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring