Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 06:27   #1

Where to build - regarding bureaucracy ?

Hi all. After spending 25 years working throughout the developing world I have decided to go to either West Africa or Asia to build a Wharram style Catamaran to Live aboard [ Having looked into Registration I am pretty sure I will go with Jersey ].
My Question is how to find out which countries permit an individual to build, register under a foreign flag and sail off ? - as an Australian I know foreigners are not permitted to do so in our own country unless you are registering to your Passport country. And Indonesia isn't worth the bureaucracy - just as a couple of examples.
Does anyone know of any countries that DO [ or Don't ] permit this process ???

Thanks
Parker 888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 07:28   #2

Re: Where to build - regarding bureaucracy ?

I don't know about other countries, but in the USA anybody can build a boat, no permits needed other than the immigration status needed to live here while you do so.

Once you have the boat built, you will need to apply to the local state to get a Hull ID Number for a "homebuilt boat."

After that, you can register it anywhere you wish--except with the US Coast Guard. You have to be a citizen of the USA to do that.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 07:43   #3

Thanks Billkny. If only it was that simple every where. Australia forbids such practice. And having lived with the dictatorial nature of Govts. in the West and the East I know not to take any common liberties for granted. Viva la America !
Old 16-03-2020, 09:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Parker.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:44   #5

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Parker, feeling your pain. I am one of the few who love the simplicity of Wharram designs.

Because you are building two boats and then attaching them they are easy to transport. You don’t need to be near the water. That is a huge plus. Think about that. Pick a place where you have moderate weather. For example Seattle would be the sh!ts with all the rain and moisture.

If you can find a run down shed or old commercial building and rent out space. Would be ideal.

But honestly ... why build when you can get what rams cheap all over the world ? Just buy and modify./ repair.

The other thing is building materials. Sourcing the materials is key to the projects. Philippines and Vietnam have builders. I know Pi has substantial problems with theft. But labor is cheap and guys do it. I have seen some Wharrams built in South Africa also. In Mexico, where I keep my boat in Sea of Cortez, you would be paying an arm and a leg ( 18%) import tax for everything on the back of your truck.... unless you go Rambo ... “do you feel lucky, Punk?” (Dirty Harry Clint Eastwood).

It will take minimum 3 years to build for a guy who knows what he is doing with infrastructure. Think seriously about buying.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 11:59   #6

Thanks Alan Smith. I hear you. Completely ! I have bought a Wharram before - disassembled it in Adelaide, trucked it 3500 kilometres to Darwin to put her back together, and purchased a 12 tonne 1935 Huon Pine south seas trawler, repaired and converted her to a live-aboard. And as they say, "buying a secondhand boat is buying somebody else's problems. And I want to know every inch of her before I finally sail the world. And I really believe I can simplify the construction design and improve the cats' efficiency - and I'm not paying the service fees for a western country - exorbitant, relative to building on a beach in Africa, or Asia. In the right season the weather is perfect, no need for sheds or yards; can do that in three months. And in a small village there is no worries about theft - if you get the Chiefs approval first - with a gift. Not to mention the material cost in these third world places is brilliant. I admit there will be an issue acquiring the Tech. equipment; but I figure I will build her [ in West Africa ] with a simple rigging and sail her to Europe to fit her out with the Tech. then. I'm not concerned about taxes. But you are right....much easier !!! Not to mention the pleasure of sailing your own build.....sometimes I think I might be in it more for the build than the sail !?!
All the best to you.
Old 17-03-2020, 13:14   #7

Boat: Coast 30

What a most interesting post about getting lifts of marine plywood. rolls of Glass fibre cloth, and epoxy resin delivered to a beach in Africa and building an improved version (Is that even possible? James made his point decades ago) Wharran catamaran by your self in three months. and without any climate control for correct adhesion .

just like magic ?

please make a video.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 14:25   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

I am not sure what is wrong with Australia? We built our 32 foot yacht in the backyard under a carport here in Gympie. It took 18 months and never once did we see a goverment official. The only time we dealt with the goverment was when I registered her before launching and that was a painless 5 minute process.
Also any supplies I needed could be couried overnight or delivered within a few days of ordering.
Gympie weather is good enough that you could build outside.
I think you are dreaming that you can leave all your stuff laying around on a beach and not get some theft? It might not be called theft in the village, it was just "Borrowed"
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 14:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

You may want to consider Hawaii which has no personal property tax on anything including boats. You would have to register with the State and affix State numbers to the bow before launching and pay an annual renewal fee if the boat remained in State waters. You would have to pay a State sales tax on parts and materials which would be 5.5% on Oahu (Honolulu) and 5% on the other islands. Just about any boat parts or equipment is available online.

Living costs are higher than the rest of the US and space to build on might be expensive. But Hawaii has many local boat builders and skilled people to help you out.

If you are not a US citizen, or the boat is not owned by a US company which is at least 50% controlled by US citizens, US Coast Guard documentation is not an option.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 22:57   #10

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I am not sure what is wrong with Australia? We built our 32 foot yacht in the backyard under a carport here in Gympie. It took 18 months and never once did we see a goverment official.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 04:46   #11

Just a response to "coastalexplorer". So others are not deterred from Africa.

1 - No need to have Fibreglass/Ply construction supplies "delivered" to Africa - they already have it ! They were late on the Wheel but they are catching up - kind'ov'.
2 - Never mentioned building "by myself" !
3 - Finding a constant temperature of 24 - 30'C and low humidity for curing Epoxy is simply a matter of choosing the right time of year in the right geographic location.
If not they have the resources to create an indoor build.
4 - Regarding improvements I also intend on removing the half-cabins from each hull which allows for simpler lines - similar to the Amatasi', but larger. I am not suggesting that I can "improve" a Wharram. It is more that I am using Wharrams design to make a slightly different vessel with a higher performance aspect. I guess I should have said "modifying" a Wharram to suit my needs OR a Wharram based design. My mistake. No offence meant to the King !

Here is a Video of an amateur doing a great job in West Africa. It's not the design I am looking at; but it does display the environment and potential of the place, for you guys who have never stepped foot there, let alone lived there.

P.S. I do appreciate this chat - but does anyone know a resource that answers my question ?