Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 09:25   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Which countries have a reasonable path to citizenship?

Best Citizenship by Investment Countries

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13   #47

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I don't know about "most," but I do know that the U.S., Britain, Canada, France, Germany... many of the industrialized nations, definitely WILL tax you on your investment income. As to whether or not they tax you on retirement income really depends on exactly where that money comes from.
Industrialized Nations?
I thought China made everything now? When was the last time you seen a sticker on a product that said "made in" one of the countries above?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:22   #48

Boat: Bristol 34

Several Latin American countries have "rentista" and "penisanado" schemes requiring either a steady monthly income (Costa Rica used to be about $1000/month) or $50k in an approved investment scheme. These programs only lead to residency status but are a path to citizenship. Check out Belize, Costa Rica, Panama, Uruguay and Equador as these are currently prime expat destinations.

Do a bit of Google searching as there are a number of sites dedicated to Americans living and investing overseas. Many are set up just to get your cash so treat lightly there.

A good local attorney (rare I am afraid) in most of these countries can help pave the way or even expedite residency and then citizenship.

Of course the easiest way is to marry a local. Just beware of major cultural differences if you go that route, for most often you marry an entire family.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:45   #49

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
Interesting enough there are less than a handful countries in the world which taxes there citizen if they live abroad and have no income in the home country.
I pay my taxes based on the working country, not to the one I'm living in.. That's how it's btw all Nordic countries..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Here you go. Three countries you can get immediate citizenship in.

Two in the Caribbean, one in Europe.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:00   #51

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Mate. You'll be hard pressed to find a better place to have citizenship and enjoy the liveaboard sailing lifestyle than New Zealand. Here's the link to get you started: Immigration New Zealand

You first have to gain residency and then can elect to get citizenship if you desire. Citizenship also allows you to work and live in Australia. We successfully navigated the
bureaucracy process ourselves without using any professional immigration services for around $4,000 USD total. Timing was right for us and we did not have to move financial assets or become employed. The requirements change as governments change.

A dirty little secret. Many cruisers enjoy living 6 months in New Zealand without every gaining residency. They follow the path of the sun and sail up to the Pacific islands & return with the change of the seasons. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:05   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
FOR REAL?
Sarcasm. Some questionable people do claim refugee status in Canada and the process of vetting is slow but as the OP wisely pointed out this isn't the forum for discussing non-cruising related politics.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53   #53

Having lived as an expat in both S. Korea and Thailand for most of the 2005-2009 time period, I assure you denverd0n is correct on taxation. You are required to file an annual US return regardless of residency status, and the IRS allows you a 90K tax exemption on income derived from non-US sources in foreign countries (foreign employers/governments etc) if taxes are remitted locally. Any income above this threshold amount is taxable in both countries.

As we gear up for our life at sea, the wife and I have looked into this emigration question as well and based on our research, I would have to agree that there is a direct correlation between the ease of acquiring citizenship (not residency) in a particular country and a low desirability factor of that country's citizenship status worldwide.

Best bets right now honestly appear to us to be Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico - or as matauwhi sugests... New Zealand.

Regardless of where you choose to go however, and as much as America is troubled at the moment, I would recommend caution or at least some serious due diligence before surrendering one's US citizenship status as it is very hard, if not outright impossible, to "unmake" this decision.

Jack
phunkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:02   #54

I have two questions. When did the law change that allowed US citizens to work outside of the country for 18 monthes and not pay taxes? You could only be back in this country for 30 days during that period, and you still had to file, but paid no taxes. When I got out of the navy in the late 60s I was offered a job like that (legitimate company), but turned it down. I knew a few people that took jobs like that and made good money, and paid no taxes. The next question is about Scotland. Does ancestory there make it easier to get an EU passport? An EU passport would make much of the world easier to travel in, and if it could be obtained without giving up the US passport would give the best of both worlds._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:00   #55
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
The next question is about Scotland. Does ancestory there make it easier to get an EU passport? An EU passport would make much of the world easier to travel in, and if it could be obtained without giving up the US passport would give the best of both worlds._____Grant.
At the moment Scotland is still part of the UK - so British citizenship is what you are after.

My understanding (on a "don't quote me on that" basis ) is that would need Grandparents (or more recent) who were full British Citizens by birth and that full citzenship (which gets you a passport) would only come after a number of years of residency (and that likely also tax residency) - with the stated intention of being in the UK forever.......so, not quite a pop into the UK and pick up a passport whilst changing flights to Euroland scenario.

I have no doubt missed out a few things .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38   #56

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

When I was there, Antigua would give citizenship if you deposited $1M in the local banks. They were owned by Mr Stanford who now lives in Jail, like Madoff. I also have somewhat rich friends who have moved to St martin since the new administration raised taxes.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 13:14   #57

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkz View Post
Having lived as an expat in both S. Korea and Thailand for most of the 2005-2009 time period, I assure you denverd0n is correct on taxation. You are required to file an annual US return regardless of residency status, and the IRS allows you a 90K tax exemption on income derived from non-US sources in foreign countries (foreign employers/governments etc) if taxes are remitted locally. Any income above this threshold amount is taxable in both countries.

As we gear up for our life at sea, the wife and I have looked into this emigration question as well and based on our research, I would have to agree that there is a direct correlation between the ease of acquiring citizenship (not residency) in a particular country and a low desirability factor of that country's citizenship status worldwide.

Best bets right now honestly appear to us to be Costa Rica, Panama, Mexico - or as matauwhi sugests... New Zealand.

Regardless of where you choose to go however, and as much as America is troubled at the moment, I would recommend caution or at least some serious due diligence before surrendering one's US citizenship status as it is very hard, if not outright impossible, to "unmake" this decision.

Jack
This is a common misconception. The 90K exemption ONLY applies to "earned income" like salaries and wages. It does not include interest, dividends, capital gains, pension income, social security, IRA distributions, etc., no matter what country the income is from, US or non-US. So, basically if you aren't working in the country there isn't going to be any exemption for you.
Old 05-07-2012, 13:23   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hblask View Post
Which countries have the most reasonable route to becoming a citizen of that country, coming from the United States? I saw something about the rules being different for retiring there for some places.

Is it just a matter of giving them money and waiting, or do you need special skills?
I've heard Somalian citizenship is real easy to get.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 13:28   #59

Boat: Beneteau 473

All I can say is; "try before you buy..."
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 16:46   #60

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

On the EU passport thing.

I have German grandparents.

Can I get a EU passport?