Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 14:58   #1

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Yacht in Transit, Panama imports.

Hi All, Going hairless over this one! I need a new engine. Found the right one but now need to import it and I am in Panama. Bureaucracy in Panama tends toward the unpredictable at the best of times and I have never done anything like this before. There seem to be a number of options for delivery of packages by FedEx etc but this is a 250kg lump coming by sea! I can get it picked up from the dock with a van. The problem is that it seems that you can only bring stuff in "Yacht in Transit" to a couple of marinas, the boat has to be in the marina and Shelter Bay at least seams to charge 20% - On the price of a new engineIf I can't do it YIT it is going to be min 15% sales tax plus import duties and other charges. Anyone with some experience that can help me out?
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 15:38   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Yacht in Transit, Panama imports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Hi All, Going hairless over this one! I need a new engine. Found the right one but now need to import it and I am in Panama. Bureaucracy in Panama tends toward the unpredictable at the best of times and I have never done anything like this before. There seem to be a number of options for delivery of packages by FedEx etc but this is a 250kg lump coming by sea! I can get it picked up from the dock with a van. The problem is that it seems that you can only bring stuff in "Yacht in Transit" to a couple of marinas, the boat has to be in the marina and Shelter Bay at least seams to charge 20% - On the price of a new engineIf I can't do it YIT it is going to be min 15% sales tax plus import duties and other charges. Anyone with some experience that can help me out?
No, but Nike from White Spot Pirates ordered and installed a new Beta while she was in Panama. Maybe reach out and see if she has advice?

Good luck
Old 16-03-2018, 16:03   #3

Boat: Boatless

Shelter Bay did not charge me anything when I shipped in a bulky new main sail. Talk to John Halle the dockmaster. They do charge mechanics 20% but people cheat on the size of the bill.

There is an English speaking van driver called Rojelio/Roger who might be able to help

maoj50@hotmail.com

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 16:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yacht in Transit, Panama imports.

Shipped 8 big agm's into Shelter Bay.. no charges.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 17:05   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Try Chain Global Logistics. +507 60902175 Jose Nicosia
Old 16-03-2018, 18:18   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Shelter Bay did not charge me anything when I shipped in a bulky new main sail. Talk to John Halle the dockmaster. They do charge mechanics 20% but people cheat on the size of the bill.

There is an English speaking van driver called Rojelio/Roger who might be able to help

maoj50@hotmail.com
Dont know where OP got that from, Shelter Bay has never charged me 20% to receive anything. They did charge me a nominal fee once to receive a package when I wasnt there...that was a few months ago.

YIT process is rountine and easy to do in Panama. No reason not to.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 18:31   #7

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

In Panama now.....
You need to ship this by sea cargo, not air
Try:
Maggie Cabral
SOLA TRANSPORT AGENCY
7500 NW 81st Place, Suite #2
Miami, Fl 33166
Main: 305-592-1616
Fax: 305-592-1516
Email: maggie@solatransport.com

You do not have to bring it into a marina, just the Zona Libre......
Shelter bay has their receiving policies on their web site....

Many sea cargo lines go from Miami to Colon (Manzanillo) thus you can avoid going to Panama City.....

You must send it to Yacht in Transit and must have commercial invoice.
Hope this helps....
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 18:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnautilus View Post
In Panama now.....
You need to ship this by sea cargo, not air
Try:
Maggie Cabral
SOLA TRANSPORT AGENCY
7500 NW 81st Place, Suite #2
Miami, Fl 33166
Main: 305-592-1616
Fax: 305-592-1516
Email: maggie@solatransport.com

You do not have to bring it into a marina, just the Zona Libre......

Shelter bay has their receiving policies on their web site....

Many sea cargo lines go from Miami to Colon (Manzanillo) thus you can avoid going to Panama City.....

You must send it to Yacht in Transit and must have commercial invoice.
Hope this helps....
Obviously you have to have a an invoice and label it Yacht in transit, the supplier can do that. But I am assuming the driver cannot just arrive at the dock gate knock on the door and say I am here to pick up a crate for Yacht Voya and that customs wont release it just because it says yacht in transit! So I have to get it delivered to somewhere in the canal zone, someone has to do the customs clearance and then I have to move it 500km N to where the boat is! I have a skipper on the boat but he does not know anymore about import regs than I do so I guess we need an agent. Sent several inquiries but so far no replies.
Old 16-03-2018, 21:36   #9

Quote:
Obviously you have to have a an invoice and label it Yacht in transit, the supplier can do that. But I am assuming the driver cannot just arrive at the dock gate knock on the door and say I am here to pick up a crate for Yacht Voya and that customs wont release it just because it says yacht in transit! So I have to get it delivered to somewhere in the canal zone, someone has to do the customs clearance and then I have to move it 500km N to where the boat is! I have a skipper on the boat but he does not know anymore about import regs than I do so I guess we need an agent. Sent several inquiries but so far no replies.
True, you cannot just pick up a YIT shipment yourself (Ive tried). Technically it must be delivered to the yacht. However, just delivering it to the marina generally sufficies. Typically thats Balboa YC or Shelter Bay.

So, yes, normally an agent is necessary. There are many in Panama. Also some suppliers, like Marina Warehouse, who do this all the time.

FedEx Cargo also handles YIT shipments. Ive used them to ship in standing rigging (bulky & heavy), but an engine is going to require special handling to load/unload.

Where is the boat located?
Old 17-03-2018, 09:08   #10

Boat is anchored off an island near Boca Chica close to David in NW Panama and the engine is coming from China. This may be a 'get me home fix' but from everything I have seen it is more of a 'cut out the middle man' deal. I will post results when the engine is up and running and since I will then be heading to Canada should be able to give an update with a few hundred hours on the clock this summer!
Old 17-03-2018, 09:21   #11

It is possible to have shipments delivered to marinas when you and your boat are not actually there because the couriers never actually deliver to the boat as they technically should or even verify that the boat is there.

For such a large item though someone will need to be there to receive it. From that point you should be able to have a local delivery service, like Fletes Chevales, transport it to Boca Chica or nearby.
Old 17-03-2018, 09:24   #12

Quote:
Boat is anchored off an island near Boca Chica close to David in NW Panama and the engine is coming from China. This may be a 'get me home fix' but from everything I have seen it is more of a 'cut out the middle man' deal. I will post results when the engine is up and running and since I will then be heading to Canada should be able to give an update with a few hundred hours on the clock this summer!
What "middle man"?

As posted earlier, marinas like Shelter Bay do not charge the fee you orginally stated.
Old 17-03-2018, 09:34   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

The Panama City Cruisers Guide lists a number of customs/frieght brokers under mail/frieght section. It also includes this warning
Quote:
Unless you are using an experienced ship's agent such as Marine Warehouse, be aware that it is often
significantly cheaper to pay the minor customs duty on a boat part rather than the considerable expenses
involved with using someone not accustomed to “boat in transit” regulations.
Do comparison shopping before you order!
AVOID Mail Box type businesses for anything except mail or low value items!
Old 17-03-2018, 10:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
What "middle man"?

As posted earlier, marinas like Shelter Bay do not charge the fee you orginally stated.
OK that was not to do with the delivery but was about the engine price (1/2 or less than the alternatives) Remembering the adage that 'if it looks to good to be true it probably is' I had concerns that this was going to be poor quality build and machining. After doing all the checks and seeing video of one running it all seems legit'.
Generally when buying an engine it is made as an industrial engine then sold to another company who marinizes it. They then pass it to a dealer who sells it to the boat owner. Each of them has to make a living so adds a markup but the markup is not on the original price but on what they paid for it so marks up the previous guys profit as well. The result can easily double the price. There are very few people who actually still make small marine engines that will go into a boat with no mods and nobody that sells direct from the factory. So I think this engine is cheap because I am paying the factory gate price not the retail price, hence cutting out the middle men. We will see.
Old 17-03-2018, 10:36   #15

Quote:
OK that was not to do with the delivery but was about the engine price (1/2 or less than the alternatives) Remembering the adage that 'if it looks to good to be true it probably is' I had concerns that this was going to be poor quality build and machining. After doing all the checks and seeing video of one running it all seems legit'.
Generally when buying an engine it is made as an industrial engine then sold to another company who marinizes it. They then pass it to a dealer who sells it to the boat owner. Each of them has to make a living so adds a markup but the markup is not on the original price but on what they paid for it so marks up the previous guys profit as well. The result can easily double the price. There are very few people who actually still make small marine engines that will go into a boat with no mods and nobody that sells direct from the factory. So I think this engine is cheap because I am paying the factory gate price not the retail price, hence cutting out the middle men. We will see.
Ok. That makes more sense.

Tags
import, Panama, ports, yacht