Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 15:31   #1

Boat: Chrysler C26/Morgan OI 37
Yacht in Transit shipping

I am two weeks away from shipping my pallet of boat stuff and tools, personal items and such. They want an invoice of everything. How detailed do you have to get? It will say YIT but the shipper still wants a proforma invoice. The person in Palau says they do not charge for YIT but I don't want any problems. Should I just generalize or do I have to list every little thing?

Dan
Skipper_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 18:11   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: Yacht in Transit shipping

It's not clear to me from your post, but assuming you mean that the pallet is being freighted from another country to Palau. Then as with any imported/exported goods you should list a detailed inventory along with the value of each item.
Old 03-12-2021, 18:16   #3

Sorry, yes it is going from USA to Palau.

I was wondering how detailed I need to get. it is all my stuff as I purchased the boat over there. Now I need to get my stuff to it to sail it home. Like each screwdriver, each wrench, every item? or just tools?

That would take forever to inventory everything, for no purpose as I have been told that YIT does not get taxed.
Old 03-12-2021, 18:21   #4

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

It is a pain, but consider a moment sending a big box of stuff to the USA and just saying:
Tools
Yacht Parts
Motor parts
Paint
Note: Yacht in Transit so no tax

Do you think US Customs would be a little curious and want to open up and look?
Old 03-12-2021, 18:32   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

You probably would want to insure this. If so, all the details are necessary.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 20:03   #6

Well if it was not taxable because it was YIT why would you care if they open it up. That makes no sense to have to list every tool if the regs say it is not taxed. The stuff is not being imported, it is just going through.
Old 03-12-2021, 20:26   #7

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Back when I worked for an antenna company, our shipping department just invoiced "waveguide NOIBN" (I think not otherwise identified by name)and the value.
Best to check with a customs house broker.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 22:54   #8

When I flew to bring my boat from the Caribbean, the crew members brought all the equipment as personal luggage. A little clumsy, but easy.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 23:29   #9

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

It depends on the country. They all have their own “quirks” re import. We list things by specific category eg various cutlery , not the number or type of spoons/forks/knives. Or, 23 various hand tools of screwdrivers, hammer, handsaws, chisels etc.
Customs are assesing if you’re trying to bring in prohibited items, dangerous goods, or high value items for black market sale in their country.
For example in Thailand we cant bring in anything to do with aircon, HF/SSB, digital scales ( how weird is that?), etc etc etc.
A Customs agent will be able to tell you the regs for the specific country or it may be on the Country Customs webpage.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:36   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
It is a pain, but consider a moment sending a big box of stuff to the USA and just saying:
Tools
Yacht Parts
Motor parts
Paint
Note: Yacht in Transit so no tax

Do you think US Customs would be a little curious and want to open up and look?
Call the local receiver and ask the extent of dtails.
But generally they want a quantity and value number, (6 screwdrivers,var sizes)
and value- the reason is to be able to 1) track the stuff and assure it not sold in-country 2) assign a value if it is something declared for a duty.
brand new stuff tends to question.
insurance is also going to want these details. pictures help a long way.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
It depends on the country. They all have their own “quirks” re import. We list things by specific category eg various cutlery , not the number or type of spoons/forks/knives. Or, 23 various hand tools of screwdrivers, hammer, handsaws, chisels etc.
Customs are assesing if you’re trying to bring in prohibited items, dangerous goods, or high value items for black market sale in their country.
For example in Thailand we cant bring in anything to do with aircon, HF/SSB, digital scales ( how weird is that?), etc etc etc.
A Customs agent will be able to tell you the regs for the specific country or it may be on the Country Customs webpage.
This is what I did, I actually contacted the Customs officer in Palau. He said just go by what the shipping company tells you. I also looked on the web site and found that tools and things that do not stay in the country more than 30 days are not taxed. I also talked to the Yacht club owner and he said YIT does nto get taxed. I jsut want to cover all my bases and get as much info as I can. all helpful info is appreciated. It would be easy if it was just one or two items that I purchased. But this is everything I need for a voyage about two years to get back to the Gulf Coast.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:44   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper_Dan View Post
I am two weeks away from shipping my pallet of boat stuff and tools, personal items and such. They want an invoice of everything. How detailed do you have to get? It will say YIT but the shipper still wants a proforma invoice. The person in Palau says they do not charge for YIT but I don't want any problems. Should I just generalize or do I have to list every little thing?

Dan
They is who? Possibly your shipping co. or their insurer in order to know what the liability would be should the container your pallet is in gets the deep six. I had diamonds in there after the fact?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
They is who? Possibly your shipping co. or their insurer in order to know what the liability would be should the container your pallet is in gets the deep six. I had diamonds in there after the fact?
They being the shipping company for Customs. There is no insurance other than liability.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:44   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ Skipper Dan,

They will be interested to know if things are new or used.

Medical prescription items do require documentation (like copies of the Rx's involved).

First make up a detailed list. I once had fabric to make matching pillowslips questioned, and it is hard to guess in advance where they will have questions. Be sure to keep a copy of the complete list: you want to be able to check everything's still there.

Ann
Old 04-12-2021, 14:09   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper_Dan View Post
They being the shipping company for Customs. There is no insurance other than liability.
I would assume the shipping co. would be liable for the value of your shipment should it not arrive. Customs that is anyone's guess.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shipping, yacht