Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2023, 01:27   #1

Yacht insurance for a newbee?

Any suggestions for a person who wants to buy a yacht (16.5m steel cutter, $US100k) but has no past sailing experience

I know, it sounds far fetched, but everyone has to start somewhere I suppose, and I'm not sure where to turn.

The boat is currently based in Australia, but the potential buyer intends to sail to Europe, with the assistance of suitably qualified crew

I'd welcome any suggestions
Chimere53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 04:34   #2

Re: Yacht insurance for a newbee?

Yes, everyone needs to start somewhere. Respectfully, a 16.5m steel sailboat might not be the right place.

I’ll just share some of my experience in case they are helpful to you. I’ve been sailing my entire life including teaching sailing for 8 years and recently purchased a 1984 34ft fiberglass boat. Even having experience on similar boats, it is a different world when the boat is yours and you are the one responsible for everyone on board. Particularly think about close quarters maneuvering, what happens in foul weather, and maintenance. Single handing becomes challenging for boats of this size and bordering on impossible im some conditions without vast experience and an equally well equipped vessel.

Getting insurance was also a challenge. Insurance companies want to see ownership history of similarly sized vessels. Many companies will flat out refuse to insure a boat if you can not demonstrate previously owning one within 12-15ft length of it. Others will want to see certified credentials like ASA or USCG captain’s license. A small number will insure without those things at exorbitant prices. I found only one reasonable quote for my boat. From everything I’ve read, it becomes exponentially more difficult for a steel vessel.

If I may offer some advice. Take the ASA101-104 series and get some experience sailing before thinking about buying anything. Having credentials will help with insurance. Alternatively, find your local sailing organizations and get on boats as crew. After you’ve spent about 80 hours on the water and ideally have gotten a chance to steer a few boats in low pressure situations, then you will be better capable to decide on what you want for a first boat. If it is still something like the vessel you describe, you will at least be more capable. I suspect it will not be.
fregata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 04:38   #3

Many thanks for taking the time to reply
Old 14-08-2023, 05:00   #4

Many thanks for taking the time to reply
Old 14-08-2023, 09:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimere53 View Post
Any suggestions for a person who wants to buy a yacht (16.5m steel cutter, $US100k) but has no past sailing experience

I know, it sounds far fetched, but everyone has to start somewhere I suppose, and I'm not sure where to turn.

The boat is currently based in Australia, but the potential buyer intends to sail to Europe, with the assistance of suitably qualified crew

I'd welcome any suggestions
Hey
secure a slot on a marina as well 16 meters is no small boat and spaces may be limited
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 10:16   #6

Hey, are we allowed to talk about the particulars of insurance packages? I think it would be informative to hear what folks have had. I am thinking that when I get clear of working for a living, I am unlikely to spend a great deal of time returning to Canada; so many places to go. I am certain this will constrain who will offer me boat insurance... Thoughts on flag of convenience?

I have also heard that there is medical insurance for folks on the water that includes repatriation to medical facilities if you are in a remote area. I would be interested in hearing more about people's experiences and the conditions necessary to get medical insurance. Is it predicated on your nationality, where you sail, etc...
Mr. Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 14:03   #7

Boat: Alerion Express 28

The best way to find out about insurance of any kind is to contact an insurance agent. Anything else is just hearsay and opinion.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 14:11   #8

In my role as instructor and delivery captain I am frequently asked by new boat owners to sign-off on their competence for an insurance company. This is sometimes for owners new to boats, and sometimes for people moving up in boat size significantly. Most insurance companies have a check list, although a few want me to present my own.

In most cases they have been restricted to only sailing with a licensed Captain until signed-off. I take the skills sign-off seriously, and for someone with literally no background at all, I'd expect to spend a week with them teaching and testing. They might be ready at that point.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 14:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kevin View Post
I have also heard that there is medical insurance for folks on the water that includes repatriation to medical facilities if you are in a remote area. I would be interested in hearing more about people's experiences and the conditions necessary to get medical insurance. Is it predicated on your nationality, where you sail, etc...
You can purchase medical evacuation insurance, and I think it is a good idea, even if one is not in remote areas.

If you get seriously hurt away from home, spending time in a hospital where you do not know the language can be an issue. If the injury/sickness is severe, one might not be able to take a commercial flight back home but need to return to one's own country which will require an evacuation flight.

I have read of a shark attack victim people evacuated from a Pacific island back to Australia. Oddly, I have also seen another shark attack victim in Mexico that that to take a commercial flight back to Canada when she really should have had a medical evacuation. She was lucky to live according to her Canadian doctor.

A coworker was inured on a work trip overseas and had to spend time in the hospital, and later in a hotel room to recover enough to fly home. The company should have done FAR more than they did in this situation and the person was treated horribly. If they, or they company, had paid for evacuation insurance it would have been better.

We get evacuation insurance when we travel overseas. We always get insurance to cover the trip and evacuation insurance can be added to the policy. I don't remember the costs, the wife does this, but it is not much. We did get insurance to cover some of our kids trips in case they had problems. They did and the insurance paid for the trips that had to be canceled. One kid was injured but could fly home commercially. Thankfully.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, yacht