Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 19:27   #61

Re: Yacht, Not Under Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Can you clarify this please - it wasn't clear to me from the link.

Assuming I have a catamaran (sails and engine) that can exceed 10 knots under sail and under engines; do I need a licence in NSW and if so, it is only when motoring or when sailing also (and only when exceeding 10 knots?)?

In WA, it is somewhat simpler - every skipper of a registrable, recreational vessel, powered by a motor greater than 4.5kwp (6 hp) (RST vessel) will be required to hold a Recreational Skipper's Ticket.
It's a strange (to me) set up in NSW which is based purely on speed, you need to have a boating licence to operate ANY vessel (excluding PWC) over 10 knots. If you are puttering around under 10 knots (regardless of propulsion and HP) you do not need a licence, get caught over 10 knots with no licence then fines etc can/will apply....i just phoned them on (02) 9563 8511

How to Get a Boat Licence - Maritime

Boat Licences

The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots (18.5 km/h) or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

Types of Licence

General Licence

A licence for people aged 16 years and over to drive any vessel, except a PWC at 10 knots or more.

We have the same requirements in QLD as WA....
A licence is required to operate any recreational boat which is powered by an engine power greater than 4.5 kW (over 6 hp).

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 19:45   #62

Boat: OEM, proportional

Always thought the cockroaches were weirdos....so an offshore racer capable of 50kts+ is ok to be driven by anyone as long as they stay under 10kts, a planing sailing dinghy can zip around over 10kts on the harbour unmolested, but Joe Bloe needs a license for his canoe and 2hp motor when he wants to get to his fishing spot and happens to go 12kts.

Whereas in Qld and WA only the racer needs the license regardless of what warpspeed he does, and Joe and the poor dinghy kid can wallow in his wake unlicensed.

Keep the nutters south of the border. De-federate if possible....
Old 28-08-2012, 21:50   #63

[QUOTE=IslandHopper;1024084]It's a strange (to me) set up in NSW which is based purely on speed, you need to have a boating licence to operate ANY vessel (excluding PWC) over 10 knots. If you are puttering around under 10 knots (regardless of propulsion and HP) you do not need a licence, get caught over 10 knots with no licence then fines etc can/will apply....i just phoned them on (02) 9563 8511

How to Get a Boat Licence - Maritime

Boat Licences

The speed at which a boat is driven determines whether a person needs to be licensed. Any person who drives a powered vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters at a speed of 10 knots (18.5 km/h) or more must have a boat driver’s licence. Ten knots is the speed at which most accelerating boats will start to plane – that is rise up and skim on top of the water instead of ploughing through it. The exception is anyone who drives a personal watercraft (PWC) at ANY speed must have a PWC Licence.

QUOTE]

Whats interesting is that the legislation defines speed as speed over ground - every where the department is making constant refrences to boats achiving planeing speed. I wonder if they are brave enough to ticket you without a speed camera.
Old 29-08-2012, 01:46   #64
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Boat Licences

Types of Licence

General Licence

A licence for people aged 16 years and over to drive any vessel, except a PWC at 10 knots or more......
Thanks IH, but I am still confused (mind, that is easy to do).

So is ANY vessel or is it ANY POWERED vessel. By powered, I am assuming engine (be it internal combustion, electric, steam etc); not sail, oars, peddle etc.

And if it only means powered, then what is the case when say sailing with engine off.

Be nice to see the actual law rather than their website info - anyone have a link?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 02:35   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

From here in the Act:

NSW Legislation - Marine Safety Act

And here is the Reg at what I think is the relevant bit
Reg
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 02:58   #66

Boat: Sadler 25

Funny thing.

Not meant as a hijack, but reading this thread brings to mind all the conversations I've had in SE Asia with European or US sailors who have spent time in Oz. All of them have stories about meeting some great people but I haven't met one who would go back there, NZ ? Yep no probs but Oz ? No way !

When asked if they would recommend going to Oz nobody has ever said yes and some of the people said it was one, if not the, worst places they have ever been to in a yacht. These were not inexperienced cruisers.

I think the above thread helps to explain the increasingly negative perception of Oz as a yachting destination.

Just my $0.02 as a newb

Rob
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 03:16   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Thanks IH, but I am still confused (mind, that is easy to do).

So is ANY vessel or is it ANY POWERED vessel. By powered, I am assuming engine (be it internal combustion, electric, steam etc); not sail, oars, peddle etc.

And if it only means powered, then what is the case when say sailing with engine off.

Be nice to see the actual law rather than their website info - anyone have a link?
Don't worry it still doesn’t make much sense to me. I couldn't find any reference to Sailing Vessels on the website or in the legislation (i didn't spend to much time on the legislation), that’s why i phoned them up to which they just parroted the "above 10 knot for anything" from the website.....

Here’s the 2 sections of the legislation concerning (i think) the issue, see if you can find anything.....

Marine Safety (General) Regulation 2009
NSW Legislation
Marine Safety Act 1998 No 121
NSW Legislation

Old 29-08-2012, 03:22   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
From here in the Act:

NSW Legislation - Marine Safety Act

And here is the Reg at what I think is the relevant bit
Reg
Yep, you beat me to it as i am one of the few who are having trouble posting and logging in at times, just took me 20 min or so to get my previous post to go through this time...

Old 29-08-2012, 06:09   #69

Thanks IslandH and Factor, I had a good read of the relevant parts of the Act (and regulations).

Its pretty clear that the licence is only required for power-driven recreational vessels doing 10+ knots. Unfortunately "power-driven" is not covered in the definitions so I am going to assume it is used in the common sense as in engine driven. Similarly it is remains unclear (to me) as to what the case is for when a "power-driven" is underway at 10+ knots but not using the engine for the driving force.

Oh well, time to get a life and stop getting bogged done with arcane detail .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-08-2012, 06:19   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciarob View Post
Funny thing.

Not meant as a hijack, but reading this thread brings to mind all the conversations I've had in SE Asia with European or US sailors who have spent time in Oz. All of them have stories about meeting some great people but I haven't met one who would go back there, NZ ? Yep no probs but Oz ? No way !

When asked if they would recommend going to Oz nobody has ever said yes and some of the people said it was one, if not the, worst places they have ever been to in a yacht. These were not inexperienced cruisers.

I think the above thread helps to explain the increasingly negative perception of Oz as a yachting destination.

Just my $0.02 as a newb

Rob
Welcome aboard Triciarob, brave fella coming out with fighting words on first post . OK, giving you the benefit of the doubt, you might be Aussie in which case its OK to be very critical of down-under; but hey, if not, we become a very defensive bunch to criticism from outsiders (even if well deserved).

Anyway, lucky we still have a few good places hidden away from the crowds (and wallopers)

Here are some co-ordinates of the better (secret) places:

etc.

Tags
yacht