Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 13:57   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: You are responsible for your wake...

Buy a dozen hundred foot hanks of cheap black polypropylene line, and stream them out in the water. Some yahoo comes too close and sucks one in...Hey, you're allowed to keep what you catch, right?

Hoist Bravo, Delta, Juliet, Tango...whichever one you have at hand. Any moron should be keeping clear of any and all of them. They won't get much pity for ignoring that message.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 16:41   #32

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

We had a big power boat come ripping into the marina last year and their wake sank a small power boat. Wake went right over and flooded the boat
Old 10-04-2019, 17:32   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
This: only I say: “Vessel (name) being operated in dangerous manner that is hazardous to other mariners. All mariners in area be advised and take appropriate action to minimize damage to their vessels.
I do this too but have twice been the victim of significant damage by sportfishers whose transoms were buried so deep I could not see their names.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:43   #34

Boat: 55 fleming

Years ago while travailing the ICW a large sport fish sped past the marina at

Hilton Head doing damage to docked boats. The marine patrol was notified. When this Sport Fish docked at Savanna Georga's Thunder Bolt marina, where I was docked, the owner was arrested and his boat locked to the dock. There is justice is you ask for it.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:23   #35

While sailing a Cape Dory Typhoon on the Navesink River in NJ, a go fast boat blew by about 10 feet off my beam. Then, ignoring the bouy that marked a shoal, he slammed into the shoal at full speed. No one was hurt, but his running gear and hull were severely damaged. There is a God.
gator749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:15   #36

People. You are on the water. And there's about a million boats out there. There's bound to be waves. Please find something less childlike to complain about.
rubberfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:37   #37

Boat: Wellcraft, St. Tropez 3200, 32 ft

It is worth reiterating what one other person already stated, since I see it as the crux of the OP's comment:

In the US, per Federal (and State) law, an operator's boat's wake is an extension of their boat, and they are legally responsible for any and all damage and/or injury that results from it. (I have no idea how this differs internationally.)

It does not matter if you are in a no-wake zone, or not.

This was drilled into me and my fellow classmates throughout all of our US Power Squadrons courses (ABC, Seamanship, Piloting, and Advanced Piloting). This was very effective at making us respectful boaters since we don't want to damage other people's boats, or hurt anyone, and we want the same respect in return. Then again, we're the ones taking the courses, so, we didn't really need much convincing.

I urge you all to stay vigilant and report offenders to the authorities, even when there is no damage.

Some interesting reading on the topics for those of you who want to know more:
https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/mag...-liability.asp

https://www.blslawyers.com/boaters-r...your-wake.html

(I am not affiliated with either of those sites, I just searched for them now.)
Aquasition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:53   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberfish View Post
People. You are on the water. And there's about a million boats out there. There's bound to be waves. Please find something less childlike to complain about.
I complained about two incidents that were significant. One broke my wife's wrist. One flooded my saloon and cockpit and almost rolled us. Is that childish ?

Both were in narrow channels and caused by 60'+ sportfishers.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:06   #39

Quote:
Broken bones and damaged boats are childlike? Really?

You are part of the problem and the one who is childlike if this is how you think about this topic. Grow up.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:15   #40

Quote:
I'm not sure how this discussion is childish. How big do the waves typically get in your marina?

https://www.safeboater.com/learn-the...-courtesy.html

Among other things, an operator can be charged with Careless Operation, if, as a result of excess speed their wash adversely affects:

-> other vessels including anchored vessels, grounded vessels, vessels tied to docks, wrecks, dredges, tows, rowboats or canoes

-> work being passed

->the shoreline

->docks or floats

->wetlands

->other waterway users such as swimmers, or users of bathing beaches
where divers are working

->an area of anchorage
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:29   #41

On the water and on land. This nation needs to learn respect for others again.
skipmesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:49   #42

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquasition View Post
Broken bones and damaged boats are childlike? Really?

You are part of the problem and the one who is childlike if this is how you think about this topic. Grow up.
I think his point was ...." it's to be expected " and bound to happen with so many boats out there and untrained or uncaring operators.

Even at the end of our creek which is not in a no wake zone, the big fishing boats coming in sometimes put out very large wakes. Sometimes you have room to turn in towards them and sometimes not.

The same thing use to happen back in the early 1970's when we were kids on our 14' aluminium boats. We'd get a 3'-4' plus wake sent our way at times but at 16 or 17 years old we didn't care and used it to see how much "air" we could gain then go and flip off the big boat driver that did it.

But you can expect it to occur and have to be ready..........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:14   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I think his point was ...." it's to be expected " and bound to happen with so many boats out there and untrained or uncaring operators.
While you may be correct, perhaps his point would have been better served had he not called those discussing the topic "childlike"?
Old 12-04-2019, 12:32   #44

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

I live on a recreational lake.

There are now boats equipped with tanks that they fill with water to maximize wake for 'surfing' behind the boat.
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 13:06   #45

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

This topic goes around about annually, but it's always fun to complain about that other guy! I heard a topic on public radio (US-residents - NPR) driving to work this morning about the end of empathy, which I encourage you to listen to: https://www.npr.org/2019/04/11/71227...end-of-empathy

Essentially, it's a summary of years of social science research into empathy and concluded that people, globally, are becoming less empathetic over a 40-year span of the study. It's entirely possible that the person rocking your boat just cannot see or care about your point of view or pain. It's a larger problem than getting thrown about the cabin, and points to a return of tribalism. Perhaps I'm just tired, but I do not hold out much hope.

On the other hand, I'm adding the "Wanker to Water ratio" to my vocabulary (Thanks Simi 60)!

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote