Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 23:24   #1
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Your local boat registration requirements?

I would this thread to be just reporting of local your local and national requirements and a discussion of the same and especially of any idiosyncrasies that pertain in your part of the world. Essentially we are talking boats here, not skippers or crew.

Some other recent threads plus many old ones have shown how much difference there is in many parts of the world when it comes to cruising red tape.

Just tell us what it is like to register a boat where you live.

Let me start: for instance, in the state of Western Australia, any vessel that has an engine OR can be fitted with an engine has to be state registered (unless it meets the small tender to a registered yacht exemptions). Note that it doesn't matter if the engine is not actually fitted, as long as there is a practical provision for fitting an engine.

So my mate has little 8 ft inflatable dink with a transom designed for an small outboard but he doesn't own an engine, just paddles it around - has to be registered but my other mate has a same size boat but with no so such transom, he also just paddles - doesn't have to be registered.

My 31' yacht has to be registered 'cause it has an engine but if I remove the engine AND the engine bed, shaft, prop, skeg etc, no registration is required. However if I want to use a mooring, I have to be registered - engine or not, but this is a mooring requirement, not a boat registration requirement.

This state registration has to be renewed every year so essentially it is a tax and AFAIK, it applies to any boat whose owner resides in this state regardless of their nationality.

But if I want to sail to foreign port, I must be on the Australian shipping register. This is somewhat harder to achieve but once on it, you are there for good and it is a once only fee. It also the highest proof of ownership of the vessel. It is however, limited to vessels owned by Australians and it does not exempt one from state registration requirements.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 00:48   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kalik 40
Re: Your local boat registration requirements?

To get a berth in Kuwait you need to have insurance - to get insurance you need to be registered with Ministry of Information. To be registered them, you need to tow your boat to their site annually, so they can check you have life vests, a bucket and a paddle on board. Fortunately, they let us keel boat owners take photos in place of the real thing!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 01:36   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Over here you do not need the boat to be Nationally Registered to use it (SSR or Part 1). Nor does the Skipper need any licence or training. nor a letter from his Mum

However, if a boat is kept in Jersey it is meant to be registered with the local Harbour Office, in practice mostly covered by them being the same folks who rent the moorings. Primary reason is for SAR so they have some details of the vessel involved. But if you are on a trailor or a private mooring then, in practice, can be ommitted. Ain't never heard of anyone being jailed for not doing so and Harbour Office don't have the capacity (nor interest) in trying for 100%.

Speedboats do need to be seperately registered, insured and licenced with the Harbour Office - and so do commercial fishing boats. but never had either of them

Boats on Govt Moorings are meant to be insured. but no enforcement or checking.

Going to France requires national registration. or it's meant to

Registering a Dink? ROTFLMAO

No Govt Poop inspections either
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 01:59   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

No Govt Poop inspections either
Well we share this aspect but who knows for how much longer - I guess while they are busy tracking down the unregistered dinks, they won't have time to think about new Poop rules but once those dinks are sorted.....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration