Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2006, 14:49   #16

Computer geeks!!! =

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 17:51   #17
cruiser

Ha ha ha... Yup. These kinds of things happen. Funny story, Rick.

Being a "computer geek" myself, I know what went wrong. The geeks you guys had failed to develop a proper spec. I used to drive that home time and time again with my development teams at my old company. We had a rule: No programming until you could describe every detail in a mock-up to the customer. The customer then had to sign off on the mock-up (which was a series of screen shots showing how the application would behave) before any coding was done.

Made us more profitable than many of the other firms that just coded around in circles.

Um... this isn't about sailing at all. Sorry folks.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 17:59   #18

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Lattitude

I think the lattitude is starting with a minus for left of England, and you guys are not using the minus and are ending up to the right of England.
I centered my location by double clicking ( like the instructions said ) then typed in my name, and it happened automagically. It is better if you are dumber.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 17:16   #19

Sounds like Micheal, is correct there!!

To anybody who doesn't know what where talking about. On the top of the main page. You'll see a little globe, at the top right hand of the page.

You could view the present member's, who already marked the map. And you could also put your mark on the map? If you so wish!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 23:10   #20

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
Yep, nothing like following directions.....when all else fails, and no one is looking!

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 13:49   #21
Captain

Using the feature

Hey, this was great fun! I probably spent two hours getting it right while deleting numerous mistakes: Thank heavens for that somebody at Google who mercifully put in a Delete button.

The trick is zooming in veeery close (requires lotsa mouse-activity left/right, up/down). MOST IMPORTANT: the instructions on the pages will get you there (like stated before).

Problem is that old folks like me are prejudiced because we're so darn fed-up with not understanding the newfangled computer-lingo.

Gord - I clung to a Pentium II with WIN98 & Netscape until last fall. At work I was exposed to the newest equipment/software, and eventually realized that my PC at home was hopelessly falling behind: Something to do with older Operating Systems & Webreaders not being able to read the codes of the new ones (how can they, it was invented after their time). Like trying to pass today's hotrods on a highway with a T-Ford...

SOOO? Get hold of a computer-savvy "Geek" and let him/her find if your 'puter has enough HP to "tow" WIN XP with the latest web-reader. Forget Netscape, they were leaders before MS woke up to the web reality: Now the world has long since been misled by MS to believe they "have to" use the darned leaking-like-a-sieve Internet Explorer.

Like they were misled by MS' cheapskate "Office" package, out of which (1) "Word" is an inferior word processor compared to the older and far better Word Perfect (Word is useless for documents larger than 30 pages), and (2) their surprisingly good programme "Excel" was invented by 'puter-geeks whose sales instinct was as bad as their savvy was good so they sold it too cheap, and (3) that pathetic hot-shot-thingy "Power Point" probably intended for busy youngsters is the worst programme I've ever seen yet.

Enough raving and ranting. My "try-everything" brother always calms me down and points out that he has used MS Internet Explorer for a looong time now, without it ruining his PC. So I did try, and lo-and-behold, it has worked fine for me since last fall. Trick is to have an e-mail address with strange characters combined with numbers, as the search-engines of the spammers won't find it till kingdom come. And also to get all kinds of protection - today they guide you through the download.

The 'puters and software have deveoped incredibly during the last decade. No need to get the most powerful PC's if you're not into games. BUT - the codes of the web change mercilessly, and we oldies can no longer use a machine acquired 10 years ago: In my country FM radio will be replaced by Digital in a few years time. End of use of some of the best radio equipment ever made. That's called progress.

This kind of fundamental changes happened when the wheel was invented, and when the steam engine was introduced, and when man was able to fly in the air, and when the jets took over from the props.

Gord - update, and you'll discover heaven!!!