Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2011, 19:38   #91

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea
The fawning and R Slicking and the cringing obsequiousness of many of the annointed is ready evidence for the old adage about giving a bloke a uniform. Or maybe it's the massive saving off the retail price of $14.95?
At Sea, this is only for my own benefit, no one else's... but what exactly has made you so angry? I'm sorry I don't have a Phd, so could you please enlighten me? BTW, (and this may get me another "thank you" PM) I would like to personally refund the entire amount you have spent joining and enjoying this forum. Just tell me where to send it... I await your response, not quite totally creeped out, IMHO, Chris

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 28-01-2011, 20:01   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

LOL..... this is all just to funny for words.. looking around the 'Greenies' there's a lot of familiar faces...
Most of us met queuing outside the office waiting to get caned... if you can't tame them... promote them...
Reminds me of my trade union days....
Opppsss nearly got Political...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 28-01-2011, 20:21   #93
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
The internet is an amazing resource and CF is just one of many ad supported services that provide people with tools at no cost. just like Gmail, facebook, Google, Flickr and zillions of other sites, they are supported by advertising which in turn provides people with the services for free. This business model has fostered innovation and provides millions of people with free services while at the same time allowing entrepreneurs to feed their families from their investments of time and money.

Every member of CF will continue to get the same free services that have been offered in the past, nothing is changing. What has been added is an upgraded account that provides some more perks to say thank you to those who want to help support our community.

I appreciate the kind words but would like to take this time to let everyone know about our team and how we really keep CF online and running smooth. First and foremost is our mod team, you would not imagine how much work is needed to keep a community like ours pointed in a positive direction. You all can help us by keeping the discussions positive and respectful while at the same time being tolerant of the different communication styles our members from around the globe have.

We also have other people who are instrumental such as Jeff (Tech Admin) who manages the server, upgrades the software, and keeps the technical side of the site running. Bob and the team from Cruiser Log have poured their heart and souls into building Cruisers Wiki the amazing Open Source project which is now our sister site.

What we have accomplished here can only be done by a group of passionate people, one person cannot do this alone. Special thanks to everyone involved in keeping our community positive and respectful.
Old 28-01-2011, 20:23   #94

Boat: Maine Cat 41
One thing about all the pretty green 'upgrades' is that it now 'looks' like lotsa folks actually fell for that paying thing. I don't go where I gotta pay on the In-terr-nett. But, hey, if the ads aren't payin the freight then give 'er a go. I find the bright green flags a touch annoying but then, most changes to internet forum 'looks' doesn't sit right at first. That being said, as long as what I come for is free--great. When it isn't, someone else will likely be cheaper. Charge for everything and eventually I'll kick my habit!

The other fascinating thing about all the 'charge for services' concepts on the net is that taken in isolation, most charges seem 'minimal'. But taken in the aggregate, it makes using the net prohibitively expensive.

I'm going with the Yawwwn and Not Real Cool response.
Old 28-01-2011, 20:34   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
At Sea, this is only for my own benefit, no one else's... but what exactly has made you so angry? I'm sorry I don't have a Phd, so could you please enlighten me? BTW, (and this may get me another "thank you" PM) I would like to personally refund the entire amount you have spent joining and enjoying this forum. Just tell me where to send it... I await your response, not quite totally creeped out, IMHO, Chris
No PhD yet? I'm shocked! But you seriously misinterpret my post. Me angry? OMGG! Me amused? Deeply!

My initial bah humbug to the badges idea cast myself as Ebenezer Scrooge - you do know the Dickens tale, don't you?

My next post was an expression of deep mirth at the rush of responses of the type named after its inventor, a certain R Slicker. These are the types for whom a simple pat on the back by the boss will turn them into attack dogs on the boss' behalf.

Judging by your post, I think you have just bared your teeth
Old 28-01-2011, 20:41   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea
Is this the part where you tell me you're a member of MENSA?

Old 28-01-2011, 20:44   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Is this the part where you tell me you're a member of MENSA?
I think I've just been flogged with a wet lettuce leaf
Old 28-01-2011, 20:47   #98

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
These are the types for whom a simple pat on the back by the boss will turn them into attack dogs on the boss' behalf.

Maybe, but it also might be explained as how electronic communications (email, chat, texting, forums, etc) have a different register in the linguistic sense as compared to other older forms. This is why we have emoticons -- feeble as they are -- to make a poor attempt at cutting down on miscommunication.

In other words, you might think what you said came out really clearly but it might not have. Errors get compounded on both sides with the result of everyone sure they're right.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Old 28-01-2011, 20:55   #99
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
This has the makings of a gun or anchor thread....will it get LOCKED? Too funny.

This has always been THE PLACE to to talk cruising. Sailing Anarchy - Too Vulgar and more about racing, Sail Net - Too ??? not sure what it is there. A couple of other places are pretty ok, but limited in either members, or content. But CF usually gets it done better than the others. I have to agree with what Don Lucas said earlier. More members to put on ignore lately, and less from members that have the goods to deliver and willing to share. Seems to me, it's getting harder to find the good stuff.

I'm just here trying to learn how to sail from point A to point B with the least amount of errors. How not to sink my boat, and maybe hang out a little and see what others like.

Carry on
Old 28-01-2011, 21:34   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
What's all the brouhaha?

Been lurking on this thread a bit and biting my tongue (rhetorically speaking) but can no longer resist.

For years I spent hundreds on books and magazines to get the information I can get here for free, but to put this information on the internet is not free.

Server's cost money. Big servers cost big money. Bandwidth isn't free. CF is free, still free, no one has to pay to use it just see a few ads in the corners. Try watching TV in the US and compare the omnipresent car insurance commercials to what's on the forum and tell me which is more intrusive and obnoxious.

If Andy can make money and provide this resource for free (and in a way that's not too annoying) then I think it's great. Hell I hope he gets filthy stinking rich on the deal.

And for all those who want to rant about free internet and I only go where I don't have to pay, feel free to pony up the cost for a high quality, high bandwidth web site and offer free access to the world. By the way, did I mention that CF is still free.

Ok, so I got a fancy green sticker and I like CF. So anyone want to call me a brown nose, boot licker or what have you, feel free. I would still be on this forum if they put the black spot next to my name. And so far we don't even know what goodies we might get with the upgrade.
Old 29-01-2011, 05:41   #101

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
I really don't get what the problem is.

I don't have a green patch by my name yet I can view all the site just like before. There are no parts of the site that say "Green Patch Only" so, what's the big deal?

When there are parts that have the "GPO" sign on them, I'll think about throwing some cash in if I think those particular parts are worth it to me.

When it comes to the money part, 15 bucks? C'mon. Most of us spend more than that in useless lottery tickets in a month.
Old 29-01-2011, 06:28   #102
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
When it comes to the money part, 15 bucks? C'mon. Most of us spend more than that in useless lottery tickets in a month.
for a monthly subscription of $7.50 I can save you $7.50 a month - therefore my service will be FREE for you. and I can guarantee that you will win as much as you would do on the Lottery.

If CF comes up with something worth paying for then I will be first in the Q with my credit card All power to Andy in making money from CF but until he comes up with something I want then I won't be giving him a dime...........and in the interim I will be keeping the creditcard in use elsewhere on the internet.
Old 29-01-2011, 06:41   #103
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
davids goat needs to chew on the estimate i got today for my packi8ng gland replacement...
Talking of which, where's the goat at now? And does he get a green badge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
The internet is an amazing resource and CF is just one of many ad supporte What has been added is an upgraded account that provides some more perks to say thank you to those who want to help support our community.
Andy - it's great that you started off by giving these upgraded accounts free of financial charge as a reward to those who have contributed to the forums in other ways. All the green badges I seeare attached to members who deserve a big thanks - so whatever your formula it worked (except for the bit that missed me off the list .)
Old 29-01-2011, 06:46   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas

Maybe it would be best to stop complaining about a green sticker thing here and move on to a boat related topic. .
I agree 100%. Let me change the subject; starting this January 1st, anyone cruising here in the USA needs either a State fishing license OR must be registered HERE: https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/ before they can troll. Please be advised that the fee is $15.00, and that failure to comply before trolling can result is a heavy fine. I find it unfortunate, but apparently foreign cruisers do not need to register, and can troll for free as usual (State regulations vary). Hope this helps clear this up, Chris

Old 29-01-2011, 07:39   #105

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
perfect example

Quote:
As much as I'd like to end with a really witty DOJ-like comment, I'm going to have to fall back on another serious comment since I'm not really all that clever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
for a monthly subscription of $7.50 I can save you $7.50 a month - therefore my service will be FREE for you. and I can guarantee that you will win as much as you would do on the Lottery.
See, that's what I'm talkin' about I dunno how you can so easily and consistently spin them off, but I love 'em.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Closed Thread