Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 00:57   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 World Spectator
Boat work yard or marina

I am a Canadian sailboat owner returning from a three year trip to the Bahamas where the boat weathered a number of hurricanes with minimual damage. The boat is currently dry stored in Indiantown Florida but needs lots of TLC including the replacement of a wood cap rail and a paint job. I am looking for a yard where I can work on the boat, and live on it from time to time. I will not be using the boat for a year or two and will travel to the boat for short periods of time to work on it. I would like to find an affordable yard/marina that can accommodate me and the boat. Dry storage is fine providing a slip is avaialble from time to time. I'm thinking northern or central Florida but will consider other options based on sound advice from fellow sailors. Any suggestions?
world spectator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:02   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
world,

Tiger Point in Fernandina Beach is a good spot. I've hauled there a couple of times. If you're flying in, JAX is not too far, about a 40 minute drive. Their dry storage is good and you don't have to move to another section to work on your boat as is the case in more and more yards. They will allow you to live aboard while working on the boat.
Old 28-09-2008, 13:07   #3

Ft Pierce marina

On the way down the east coast, I had the unfortunate experiece of a blown fuel pump. I had to pull into Ft Pierce, on the west side of the intercoastal, just next to Harbortown, there is a work marina called Cracker Boy Marina. Name says it all. They are strickly a work Marina, have a couple of slips, and you can basically do what you need to do at very reasonable prices. Only there one night, but if I had some work to do, and did not want the rip off prices of some marinas, I would try there. Also, question. I know where Indian Town marina is, can you do your own work. I am on the west coast, and do not plan on paying 2 grand for a haul and bottom job, cheaper to travel slow to the right place.

captcalm
captcalm is offline   Reply With Quote