Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Brooklyn Marinas

We are looking for any suggestions on funky/cheap marinas in the Brooklyn, New York area. We will probably be in town for 4 or 5 days and hanging out with friends around the city so we would prefer to be near a train stop. We are young and not super picky about amenities etc. ie this is not a mega yacht we are talking about here.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:51   #2

There's nothing funky/cheap in New York anymore. The City runs a marina in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn and another at 79th Street on the west side of Manhattan. The latter is about 75 cents a foot/night more than Brooklyn. You'd be closer to the fun. Live a little!
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:41   #3

no manhattan is beat. All of our friends live in brooklyn that's where the fun is.
Old 09-08-2010, 17:00   #4

Where in Brooklyn? Heights? Park Slope? That will make all the difference. If your buds take you into "the City," it's a major haul back out to the waterfront, especially at closing time. I'd use Google and figure out where you want to be. As native New Yorker, can help you out if I know what your plans are.
Old 09-08-2010, 17:17   #5

actually the east river looks ideal most of my friends are in the williamsburg\bushwick area
Old 09-08-2010, 17:24   #6

There aren't any marinas in the East River that I know of. Williamsburg is a HAUL on the train from outer Brooklyn marinas and you're going through some of the toughest neighborhoods in the city, which is fine, as long as it's not 4:00 a.m. Have no idea what your street smarts are, but think it through. Use Google and have fun. Happy to help if you need it.
Old 11-08-2010, 13:23   #7

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
We stayed at 79th St, anchored out, $25/day to use marina. It was great. 2 blocks from 79th St and Bway subway, 20 minutes to Brooklyn. Totally safe.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 13:40   #8

79th st. sounds best

I dock at the sheepshead's bay marina (Gateway Marina) in Brooklyn, and there ain't no train around there. The train is fine from 79th street, though far from Wmsburg. The city is planning a mooring under the Brooklyn Bridge as part of the new park there, but I imagine that's a few years off. It'll be sweet though.

Good luck
frank
fpichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 06:26   #9

That does sound good but you need a tender to stay on the 79th st. moorings and alas...we are tenderless.
Old 27-08-2010, 08:28   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico
We had fun at the 79th Street Boat Basin a couple of years ago. It is ragged but right as a country singer might say. It is fenced in and has a manned gate, so it is safe. The Boat Basin outdoor cafe is great in season, a very active party spot, but no problem with noise etc. There are a lot of permanent houseboat type residents with big trees and tiny little engines to get them out of the marina once a year as required.

It's also a short walk to the subway...maybe 1/2 mile. You really get the Manahattan feel. We are planning on going there again soon.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 08:30   #11

Boat: Cabo Rico
Not sure if the 79th Street basin has moorings or if an anchor is required. Does anyone know? I would be concerned about anchoring with that strong tide.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 10:07   #12

79th street basin has moorings but availability is definitely an issue and you need a tender. I think there is also some transient dock space but it's pretty expensive, if available. You might also consider City Island, up in the Bronx, where there are some very nice marinas with tender service, but the problem there is that public transport via bus and subway to Brooklyn will take a couple of hours. City Island is a fun, funky place to visit.

The City also operates World's Fair Marina in Flushing Queens, not far from LaGuardia airport, but public transport to Brooklyn from there is probably as bad as from City Island.

I think your best bet might be to park your boat in one of these three South Brooklyn spots: Gateway Marina (dock space), Miramar YC in Sheepshead Bay (guest mooring/launch service or maybe dock space) or Sheepshead Bay YC (guest mooring/launch service). None of these are close to subway but there are bus links (very slow) or you could always call car service (taxi alternative) for a quicker ride to the subway than using the bus. There are multiple car service outfits and you could try to strike a deal with one for regular daily subway roundtrips.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brooklyn, marinas