Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2009, 07:42   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Cheasepeake - Cheap Marina

Hi all, I shall be joining my boat in a few week, she's currently berthed at the Sailing Emporium, Rock Hall, and by all accounts its a great marina, but due to various situation involving my ex I have less money to spend than I hoped. I will probably stay at the Stay Emporium for the first month of fitting out, but I will be looking for another marina which i cheaper (<$150/month(27' boat) hopefully) that has good rates for haul-out and wireless. Also, I've never needed to before so I don't know, but can you liveaboard while the boat is in dry berth?
Anywhere in south or central cheasepeeke or near there would be fine.
Old 22-07-2009, 20:24   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I think you are going to be hard pressed to find anything les that $1800 a year

Definitely not on the Western Sho'
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 06:29   #3

Yea, it does look like I can actually get a year cheaper than if I paid transient for 3 months in most places in the central bay area. I have found a place in far south Chesapeeke for $280 a month, and its near my sister and my neice who's in hospital atm, so I'll probably stay there.
There's no jib at the mo, but I've got 2 genoa's and a mains'l, and the Yanmar is said to be working, 160nm should be do-able...
Old 23-07-2009, 06:35   #4

Boat: Cal 34
I used to keep my Coronado 27 on the southern Chesapeake at a place called Cutty Sark Marina. The rates were very reasonable at the time, about 6 years ago. It's in Little Creek, Norfolk, so it shod work for you. They didn't have Internet then, but I am not sure now. Its surrounded by hundreds of condo's so I would think you could pick up a signal regardless.
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 06:39   #5

Ahh, that may be an idea, I just brought a range booster for my wireless too.
Although I can live without the net if I can get to an internet cafe occasionally to order the things I need online. And I can actually live without shore power too once I get my solar panels.
Any places that have slips with no net and electric for cheap you know of down there?
Old 23-07-2009, 06:45   #6

Boat: Cal 34
I did a lot of looking at the time and CuttySark was far and away the cheapest. For the 27, I was paying $165 a month for the slip and $20 a month for electric. I don't think there are to many places with out shore power but of course you don't have to use it and not pay the fee. If I remember, you had to set up an account with the electric co., so the extra $20 was not part of the slip fee. They had/have a website back then, so I am sure they have rates out there now. They also had showers, laundry, etc. It has been 6 years, but that was the deal back then. I am sure there is a Starbucks in the area that you can use for internet if you can't get a signal.
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2009, 06:48   #7

Cheers mate, I'll check em out.