Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2021, 05:59   #31

Boat: Beneteau 35S5
Re: Chesapeake Bay haul out recommendations

Knapps Narrows Marina at Tilghman, MD. Inexpensive, no problem with DIY and close to BWI or Regan.
Parker9645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:34   #32

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Wormley Creek in Yorktown (York River) is very friendly for DIY, good rates, and very accessible to Newport News/Williamsburg airport. Also splits the difference mostly between Richmond and Norfolk for a bigger airport.

They have several out-of-staters based there. You also don't have to go far up the Chesapeake to get to it. Their store is quite small, but priced better than West Marine.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 06:38   #33

Boat: Wm. Atkin Ketch - 34' LOD

You might try Mobjack Bay Marina on the North River. Small family run. 804-725-7245
sailatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 06:50   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 405 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
i dealt with danielle

frontdesk@herringtonharbour.com

here are their prices

https://www.herringtonharbour.com/ya...-932cea65-39a3

if you speak with danielle tell her that I sent you her way. maybe I'll get some bonus points next time I haul out.

the definitely have the space to store boats...

only about an hour from BWI 45 to National and 1.15 to dulles i live 15 min from dulles and its a 52 mile drive to Herrington.

+1 for Herrnigton Harbour North...been their 5 years...very professional staff and will work with you on any specific needs. Danielle is great.
Toujours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 06:58   #35

Haul in Dundalk, md, outside Bmo, catch a cab to BWI. Or various yards near bwi in pasadena, md. Lots of supplies, transpo, and an airport.
SUNCAT365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:01   #36

I used Harrington Harbor North for annual haulouts. Great yard, they do allow owners to work on their boats, well protected from surge..
bbsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 07:47   #37

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

You didn't mention where on the Bay you were looking, north, central or south, which would help to help you.

I am more familiar with northern above the bay bridge, and since we've been on the Loop for the last 6yrs, (maybe 2 more yrs to go) I can only offer, mostly, where to stay away from.

Avoid Gregg Neck Boat Yard on the Sasassfras River above the Georgetown Bridge. While it is/was a DIY yard when we were there, 10ya, it was pretty decrepit. Docks weren't in good shape and the owner allowed waterskiers to buzz the docks. Surprising when your boat starts rocking & rolling.

Storage OK, do your own work, OK, no yard work unless present, if you choose Worton Creek Marina. Bad experience with their work.

Besides where you'd like to be, what work are you planning could help us help you.

Good luck.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 08:29   #38

Yankee Point Sailboat Marina. Good folks; not too far up the bay.
Ken and Karen Knull (804) 462-7635
https://www.yankeepointmarina.com/
MH Alb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:12   #39

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsailor View Post
I used Harrington Harbor North for annual haulouts. Great yard, they do allow owners to work on their boats, well protected from surge..
This is a great option.

If near Annapolis, Bert Jabin Yacht Yard, Liberty Marina in Edgewater, Hartage Yacht Yard in Galesville.

There isn’t really much near Baltimore. Dundalk/Sparrow’s Point could work but only if you do everything yourself. There isn’t much water getting in over there either. Also a pretty far drive to get to anything.

If you don’t mind being out of the way, Deckelman’s Boat Yard in Essex really treated us nice. Just have to make sure tide is in your favor to get on the Travel lift. The approach was 8’ or so. There are also a couple restaurants/bars a five minute walk away, and a couple grocery stores about a mile or so.

You’ll definitely save money south of Annapolis though.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:16   #40

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Since you're going home for a bit you have to look at transportation costs. That pretty well rules out Deltaville, maybe Solomons, and most of the Eastern Shore. Rental car cost have skyrocketed. That means Norfolk/Portsmouth/Little Creek/Hampton (ORF) or Annapolis/Baltimore (BWI). In my opinion: Cobbs Marina in Little Creek, Bluewater Yachting Center in Hampton, Jabins in Annapolis. Someone mentioned Oak Harbor in Pasadena - unless they have replaced their service manager I would not go there.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 09:49   #41

Boat: Owned Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Haven harbor in Rock Hall, maryland. It's on Swan creek which a greatly protected. Been here 10 years. Honest, nice facility and quality work. Operations manager is Greta Somers and service manager is Bill Neff. They are awesome!!

Haven Harbour Marina
(410) 778-6697

Haven Harbour Marina
"Haven Harbour Marina" https://www.havenharbour.com/haven-harbour-marina

No conflicts of interest to report. I'm just a very satisfied long term customer. And, if you end up there, I can keep an eye on your boat from time to time.

Ben
My oldest friend Russell Helveston and his wife Joyce bought the Haven Harbor back in the 80s - expanded it, built a store on property which she ran and lived on the property back then [big old two story house there]. About 7 years later took good offer from a corporation and moved on and now lives in FL.
MSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:07   #42

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt View Post
My oldest friend Russell Helveston and his wife Joyce bought the Haven Harbor back in the 80s - expanded it, built a store on property which she ran and lived on the property back then [big old two story house there]. About 7 years later took good offer from a corporation and moved on and now lives in FL.
They've done a wonderful job with the place!!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:57   #43

Boat: Outremer 51

My boat is currently in Cape Charles on the hard. We left it there last June. Good careful people and very reasonable rates.
Rimica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:04   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAway View Post
I keep my boat at Oak Harbor Marina in winter. The yard is mostly empty in summer. It is on Rock Creek just south of Key Bridge/Baltimore. Way above sea level and you can definitely work on your own boat. 410-255-4070/oakharbormd@gmail.com
Seconding this option. Good DIY yard, Very close to BWI airport, Good supplies and restaurants nearby, as well as two great cities within an hour.
SUNCAT365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 11:35   #45

Boat: Alberg 30, Hull #69

Maryland Marina in Middle River, which is actually North Baltimore. Wet and dry storage, family business, good ships store with very good prices, knowledgeable yard crew, absolutely you can do your own work, good weather hole, reasonable prices. Tell them John Johnston recommended to you. I have been here 7 years restoring old boat, no complaints.
AbelCMann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, haul out, men