Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 05:58   #61

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Frustrated...Marina costs in FL?

Ha you really just bashed active captain and you haven't even used it? Cool.

Navionics charts were spot on for me when i was in the bahamas btw. Matched explorer charts.

Above someone mentioned Tampa but there aren't really any sailboat marinas there. Downtown Tampa is nothing like downtown St. Petersburg

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 06:25   #62
Marine Service Provider

Come to Shelter Bay Marina Panama our long term rates for a 45 ft boat are .40 ft. a day no hurricanes means lower cost insurance. All rates posted on the web site Shelter Bay Marina | Shelter Bay Marina Panama
Russ Goedjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 06:39   #63

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Halifax Harbor marina Daytona Beach Fl here:-

Rates | Halifax Harbor Marina
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 06:45   #64

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

And Tampa is actually NE of St. Pete.

Active Captain has proven to be a valuable resource for me while coastal cruising the US Gulf Coast. That and talking to local sailors (croud sourcing too?) complement each other well.

BTW, it seems there is always a "bit of a dust up" around Mr. Seigel.
Old 23-02-2016, 07:42   #65

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Wow, someone is in a tizzy over what constitutes a REAL cruiser.

You can parse words and play semantics if you like, but I stand by my statement. Your assessment that most seasoned cruiser (all, many, lots, pick an adjective you like as the underlying meaning is the same) avoid marinas is not true based on my experience. I'd say it' closer to 50/50 though that will vary by cruising ground (some higher some lower). You added another flaw in your assessment. In addition to spending most of your time with cruisers who prefer anchoring out, you presume that since most boats in marinas are not long term cruisers, that most cruisers stay at anchor. That's false logic. The vast majority of 30-50' boats stay in marinas most of the time. Along the eastern seaboard, there are probably 10 times as many boats in slips as at anchor. So even if only 5% of the boats you see in a marina on a given day are seasoned long term cruisers, that translates to around 30-50% of seasoned long term cruisers in marinas.

PS: You also make the false assumption that cruisers who frequent marinas can't or won't anchor out and thus can't enjoy the benefits. Again, while a significant percentage of seasoned cruisers do frequent marinas, most will anchor out when the situation suits them.

To the OP: There are lots of options available to manage marina costs. In real life (as opposed to the internet), people don't get in your face because you aren't cruising the right way. If you enjoy marinas and the easy access they provide, don't feel bad about it.

Your Honor . . . in the matter of Rognvald v. Valhalla . . . the prosecution rests its case.
Old 23-02-2016, 07:58   #66

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Ha you really just bashed active captain and you haven't even used it? Cool.

Navionics charts were spot on for me when i was in the bahamas btw. Matched explorer charts.

Above someone mentioned Tampa but there aren't really any sailboat marinas there. Downtown Tampa is nothing like downtown St. Petersburg

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No, I cited my experience with others who DO use it, as well as having viewed his comments regarding Explorer Charts.

You must have a different Navionics set than anyone I've ever known; I personally have seen at least (not sure if it was hearsay or my direct memory on the second ) one total loss and know of many others from folks I know and trust's second-hand info by reliance on Navionics.

The folks who make the Explorer Charts might not find it libelous, but they certainly will disagree with your assertion that Navionics licenses their charts. And I can tell you for sure (go to tinyurl.com/flyingpigspotwalla to see where we are right now) that I would have been aground or worse if I'd relied on my Navionics chip in my Raymarine plotter, on many occasions. I don't even think to go to marginal areas without reference to the Explorer charts. Jepp has been working for years to be licensed for the C and E classic series to no avail; they license the Explorer charts.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 09:52   #67
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

KeepIn-
Maybe five or six years ago, I read that Broward County (i.e. FLL) has about 30,000 docks and slips but around 50,000 registered boats. So there's a lot of competition. It actually gets worse (at least from a Yankee point of view) because either you pay a king's ransom to dock near one of the ocean inlets, near all the pricey homes on the waterfronts, or you can dock "only" 3-5 miles away. Except, that is 3-5 miles in a no-wake or manatee zone criss-crossed by drawbridges, so you'll be an hour away from any inlet. Some of those will certainly be cheaper than the places that are near the inlets, to be sure.
From what consistently is posted on the forums, if you want reasonable dockage in FLL you can try to listings for private docks behind homes, and of course, that often means no liveaboards, and you are after all in someone's backyard. Otherwise the debate is how far up (St. Augustine? Jacksonville?) you go to get back to near-normality.
LOTS of competition, and condo-tower developers trying to buy up whatever 'waterfront' they can. So, it may be the sailing capitol of the world, but that's a very relative point of view.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 09:55   #68
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Nicholson-
You linked to a Criagslist Ad. Apparently you're not a CL user, because those prohibited items are the items that *CL* does not allow anyone to advertise or post. They've got nothing to do with the advertiser, unless they are trying to sell something like do-it-yourself bioweapons kits, which CL won't take postings for.
Old 26-02-2016, 00:06   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
No, I cited my experience with others who DO use it, as well as having viewed his comments regarding Explorer Charts.

You must have a different Navionics set than anyone I've ever known; I personally have seen at least (not sure if it was hearsay or my direct memory on the second ) one total loss and know of many others from folks I know and trust's second-hand info by reliance on Navionics.

The folks who make the Explorer Charts might not find it libelous, but they certainly will disagree with your assertion that Navionics licenses their charts. And I can tell you for sure (go to tinyurl.com/flyingpigspotwalla to see where we are right now) that I would have been aground or worse if I'd relied on my Navionics chip in my Raymarine plotter, on many occasions. I don't even think to go to marginal areas without reference to the Explorer charts. Jepp has been working for years to be licensed for the C and E classic series to no avail; they license the Explorer charts.
Of course the alternative is traditional cruising guides that ignore marinas that don't buy advertising and give glowing recommendations to those that do buy advertisement.

Crowd sourcing has it's issues but with even a modest amount of common sense, it is easily the best source of info.

Love Active Captain but the one item I tend to ignore is thier recommended marina program (forget exactly what they call it) as that is getting too close to the traditional cozy relationship between guide books and marinas.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 10:52   #70
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Crowd sourcing has it's issues but with even a modest amount of common sense, it is easily the best source of info."
NY State's Attorney General did a check into online reviews of all types, I think 3 years ago now, and their finding was that at least 25% of all online reviews were fraudulent. Either bought and placed by the competition (to trash talk something) or shams planted by the actual place being reviewed. Both ways.
So that modicum of common sense? Has to start with "25% of these reviews are outright bogus." And that's on a good day.
That's nothing new to the internet. High end audio stores used to have a problem with competitors posing as customers, running cassette tapes made with sandpaper, in order to ruin their demo equipment.
Or as Chairman Mao said long before Mr. Bush, "Trust but verify".
Old 26-02-2016, 11:20   #71

Boat: 1989 O'Day 322

"If you want safe storage West of I-95 (56' clearance) $10-12 ft/month is possible, no liveaboard."

CaptJCook: I'll need to store my O'Day 322 (45' clearance) during April and May. When you mention west of I-95, where specifically are you talking about? Ft. Lauderdale?

Thank you.
MrReedatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 11:23   #72

KIT: You are looking for annual rates?
So, you are moving to Florida?
As mentioned, there are places all over Florida that are lots cheaper, depending on your criteria.
Do you have to be in a certain area? Living aboard?
Florida is a great place to live... ergo... there are a lot of scams. I wouldn't book anything in Florida that I haven't actually seen... and then, I'd be careful.
Give us more of the 5 W's, and you'll get better feedback.
In peace,
danclearycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 11:28   #73

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post

I never said Navionics licenses Explorer's charts. I said I had an Explorer chartbook when I was cruising the Bahamas, and the charts were nearly identical to what was on my chartplotter. In any event, I never had an issue. Guess I just lucked out.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 22:02   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
NY State's Attorney General did a check into online reviews of all types, I think 3 years ago now, and their finding was that at least 25% of all online reviews were fraudulent. Either bought and placed by the competition (to trash talk something) or shams planted by the actual place being reviewed. Both ways.
All that proves is the AG didn't investigate cruising guide publishers selling reviews. (and the 25% was a sensualist number obtained by selecting specific criteria to make it look worse than it is. Give me some time and I can make the statistics say your gramma is a axe murder wana-be.)

If you have a tough time picking out the obviously fake reviews, don't use it. I've found the results very accurate compared to what we see when we show up. If nothing else it has pretty much every marina in the eastern USA with contact information. That alone is a huge advantage.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 08:50   #75

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

MrReedatsea,

CaptJCook: I'll need to store my O'Day 322 (45' clearance) during April and May. When you mention west of I-95, where specifically are you talking about? Ft. Lauderdale?

I was at that price. Check "The Waterfront Times", there are listings for dockage throughout Broward County, Citrus Isles are a bit east of I-95, Lauderdale Isles are west both just off New River.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote