Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2022, 08:10   #1

Boat: Looking for our boat
Hauling Out

Hi folks,

We bought an ageing Nautitech 475 a few months ago in Martinique. Generally the old girl is in pretty good condition, credit to the previous and only owner since launch. We are now in Panama and headed up towards Mexico. We will have to haul out soon for some minor fibreglass, gelcoat and repaint jobs on the hulls but also topside. Anti fouling needs doing, too. Plus a few other bits and pieces. Generally, it’s nothing serious, rather a minor restoration, a bit of a facelift.
I would love some input as to where to haul out? Is the general consensus that Mexico is best? What about Costa Rica? Which marinas to avoid? Are there any clear standouts in terms of workmanship, professionalism and value for money?
Keen to hear your views!

Thanks heaps!

Happy sailing ⛵️

Jan
Alueva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:12   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Hauling Out

Some friends had their Deerfoot painted in La Cruz de Huanacaxtle a few years ago and the yard there did a fabulous job. Great cruising community, too.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:05   #3

Thanks, nh.

I spoke to friend of a friend yesterday, who happens to be up that way at the moment and said the same thing about this marina. Excellent, thanks for your input.

Has anyone out there had any experience, good or bad, with Marina Chiapas near the Mexico-Guatemala border not far from the town of Tapachula? I would like to know more about that place.

Thanks all 😊
Old 01-09-2022, 09:12   #4

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Can you turn around and go back to Panama? Curious why you didn't stop there as I have heard there are some good facilities, especially for Cats.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:14   #5

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner

I visited both La Cruz and Chiapas in 2015. Haulout and launch in Chiapas went fine. In La Cruz I had some rigging work done and they seem very competent. But that was 7 years ago, same people might not be running things. Chiapas allowed DYI; La Cruz did not. So it may depend on what you want to do vs. what you pay others to do.
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:29   #6

Hi GreenWave,

Funny you say that, as we are still in Panama! I thought Mexico is cheaper and better, just going by what people have told me. I keep hearing that Costa Rica is expensive. Then probably followed by Panama and Mexico. I’m open to doing it here in Panama. I am potentially looking at Vista Mar Marina. Have you heard anything about this particular marina?

Thanks for your suggestion
Old 01-09-2022, 10:32   #7

Hi Paul,

Sounds good, thanks. We would love to do as much of the work ourselves, or at least work side by side with the contractors and labourers.
I will investigate Chiapas further 👍🏽
Old 01-09-2022, 13:59   #8

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alueva View Post
Hi GreenWave,

Funny you say that, as we are still in Panama! I thought Mexico is cheaper and better, just going by what people have told me. I keep hearing that Costa Rica is expensive. Then probably followed by Panama and Mexico. I’m open to doing it here in Panama. I am potentially looking at Vista Mar Marina. Have you heard anything about this particular marina?

Thanks for your suggestion

I have no direct personal experience. The Parlay Revival youtube channel did lots of work in Panama. They have a cat.
Old 01-09-2022, 14:43   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I have no direct personal experience. The Parlay Revival youtube channel did lots of work in Panama. They have a cat.
Cool, will check it out.
You certainly prompted me to have a closer look at the options available here in Panama. And I found a little marina called Vista Mar. I had a chat with them over the phone, they were very helpful and forthcoming. Sounds like they will be able to do everything we need done at reasonable prices. This could be the go.