Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2021, 11:13   #1

Liveabord needs help near San Francisco

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help because I am 100% new at all of this. My girlfriend and I are both nurses and we have a 45’ sailing boat that we are trying to live on because we have contracts in the Redwood City area. I have tried calling marinas and have been told of long wait lists for liveabords. I have basically almost given up on finding one. So I have to ask any one know the rules about using mooring balls? How long can we stay in one place? Does anyone know anywhere we can go?

We have contracts starting in December. Is this a ridiculous plan?
Richardjlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 13:19   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Liveabord needs help near San Francisco

Hello, Richard.

Go in person to the marinas, let 'em look you over. Ask for transient berthing. Get perhaps 3 marinas that accept transient berthing. If your boat looks smart, tidy, and clean, you will probably be squeezed in somewhere. However, 45 is pretty big to tuck in. Also, be aware BCDC rules not more than 10% liveaboard occupancy for the Bay, so slips are at a premium, and it may not work out for you.

Probably cheaper to live in a studio apt. and bicycle to work.

Ann
Old 15-10-2021, 13:44   #3

Totally beside the topic but thank you for busting your butts with all the COVID craziness. Good luck with the boat! Hope you can save lives and make great money!
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 14:35   #4

Nurses - God bless.

I recommend doing a search on this forum "+liveaboard+San+Francisco"

There have been numerous and detailed discussions about this very subject. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not usually one of those who in response to an honest ? say "Go do a search." Indeed, most of the time in my replies I will provide a link to topics that have relevance. In this case, only you can get the search results to show up after you use those terms and the + between words.

It is hard to find, but some have done it. Good luck.

PS I lived an SF from 1978 to 2016 and started boating there soon after I arrived. I know/knew the area quite well. My boat was in Coyote Point when I bought it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 08:45   #5

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardjlw View Post
........rules about using mooring balls? How long can we stay in one place? Does anyone know anywhere we can go?......
The only mooring ball location in the San Francisco Bay I am aware of is at Angle Island and is not practical commute. Moreover, most marinas do not have mooring balls or permit anchoring. The only mooring ball marina in close proximity to Redwood City is at Pillar Point in Half Moon Bay (see link below) but you will need to check with the marina on their rules. See the link on other marinas in San Mateo County below. Try Marina Bay Yacht Harbor in Richmond as they offer slips for 45 ft sailboats and liveaboards.

Pillar Point Harbor
Boating Facilities in San Mateo County
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 08:46   #6
C38

Boat: 1981 Catalina 38 S&S design

Try Berkeley. I have lived here a couple years and they do a lottery. I believe they pick the best candidate, not necessarily the next on the list. Let them know you are nurses. We all love you people these days and should get some preferential treatment. Can't hurt.
C38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 08:48   #7

NEVER tell them you are a live aboard. You are transient.... and always go in person as a professional looking couple.

It is a game we have to play unfortunately.
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 08:50   #8
C38

Boat: 1981 Catalina 38 S&S design

Also, not by a long shot is it cheaper to get a studio. I lived in the Canal in San Rafael before this. I paid 2200 a month for a 400sq ft studio. Anyone around here knows what the Canal in San Rafael is I think would agree. Not the nicest neighborhood. Good family people but run down.
C38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 09:04   #9

You can begin by anchoring out
In outer harbor at Pillar Point in Half Moon Bay. Gotta dinghy in but costs about 200 a month as a transient
Eventually yu can get a slip in the
Marina . We stayed 7 months out there . Nice community. Off hours it’s 20 min over the hill to RWC .
Gnwceleste4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 09:44   #10

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I have in the past lived in many marinas in the bay area for 16 years. You need to go in and politely ask about liveaboard. Explain your situation and hope for the best. RWC is very desirable as it is the banana belt. Tough to get into. You need to look beyond. Other side of the Hayward San mateo bridge, Oakland, and another south of that escapes me. There is a slip for sale I saw a while back on Pier 39. Berkeley etc.

How long is your contract for and what are your plans after? If you're doing a 3 month contract and heading down the road then transient is perfect.

When you bought your boat did you pay taxes on it? Property taxes? If you came from Oregon you did not and if you become a liveaboard the county will come after you for property taxes. Something to consider
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 11:39   #11

Boat: Hunter 46

Try Marina Bay in Richmond and Emery Cove Marina in Emeryville. They both have slips for 45 ft boats.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2021, 13:35   #12

Boat: Union Polaris cutter 36'

I've had slips in a couple of marinas. They would not give me permission to live aboard and said I could only stay 3 nights per week. I stayed all the time/full time anyway. They charged me the extra live aboard rates and I never asked and they never said anything about it.
A little sketchy but no harm no foul....
Buzoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san francisco