Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25   #1

Boat: Hunter E33
Minneford Marina City Island NY

Thinking about getting a slip here for the winter and coming season. Anyone have recommendations?
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 17:22   #2

I pulled in there many years ago on my return from Florida. I taught sailing on City Island and the Minneford yard had a rich nautical history. But, alas, no sign of it was left! The power boater's noise was deafening for a tired offshore sailor! I untied my lines and moved on as fast as I could, didn't even stay one night!!

Consolidated is next door and might be better. Or, try finding a mooring on City Island, the clubs are friendly and they have launch service. Or look up in New Rochelle. 'Still near to NYC and less hassle getting on and off CI on a busy summer day.

Good luck!
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 19:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Forte
I pulled in there many years ago on my return from Florida. I taught sailing on City Island and the Minneford yard had a rich nautical history. But, alas, no sign of it was left! The power boater's noise was deafening for a tired offshore sailor! I untied my lines and moved on as fast as I could, didn't even stay one night!!

Consolidated is next door and might be better. Or, try finding a mooring on City Island, the clubs are friendly and they have launch service. Or look up in New Rochelle. 'Still near to NYC and less hassle getting on and off CI on a busy summer day.

Good luck!
Thanks. I'm actually currently in new Rochelle but its way too expensive. Minneford is more to my price liking.
Old 11-10-2012, 19:37   #4

Boat: Pearson 36
Re: Minneford Marina City Island NY

It might not be what your looking for, but I keep my boat at Barrons which has moorings/ a launch service. This is a little bit north of Minnefords on the east side of the island. We have had a boat there for two seasons (on a mooring in season, and on the hard for winter) It might be worth checking out. Its more of a working boatyard vibe than a marina. There website is Barron's Marine Services, Barron's Boatyard Marina On City Island
triton274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 20:19   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to eorton
Re: Minneford Marina City Island NY

We're not boat owners yet, but we've definitely perferred sailing out of New Rochelle versus City Island. Much quieter and calmer. That said, you've got a lot more within walking distance on City Island.

How long are you going to be around? We'll probably be sailing out of New Rochelle early next week. Maybe we'll see you around...
eorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:47   #6

Well I live in the area. I've been sailing out of new Rochelle for just this past season though. The marina I'm at is more of a yacht club and has a lot of great amenities that I never use. I'm looking for a solid place to leave her over the winter and hopefully for the next foreseeable seasons. I'm checking out Nichols in mamaroneck and mineford in city island because on the pricing and simplicity. seems both are just what i need. There were a few others on the list but all were either to expensive or in the wrong place.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44   #7

I've heard there is an issue with NE winds wreaking havoc on the boats in the slips. Anyone have any experience with this?