Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2010, 09:11   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
One Week Mooring - Severn River to Galesville, MD

posting this on behalf of a pair of fairly inexperienced sailors who have just bought a 23' sloop. They need to move the boat from Smith's Marina (Little Round Bay on the Severn R.) and would like to find a cheap or free, secure mooring to leave for a week, no farther south than Galesville, MD.

The pair have taken a sailing class but are, as I say, relative newbies. They live in D.C. area and would like to work the boat down to the Potomac in small steps over the next month or so.

I suggested anchoring in Back Creek for their first (admittedly very short) hop, but we all have concerns about leaving an anchored boat there, unattended.

Ideally, would be a cheap mooring ball somewhere, but Annapolis only rents them to liveaboards for long-term (I just spoke to the harbor master who confirmed that).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 26-03-2010, 11:27   #2

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Ideally, would be a cheap mooring ball somewhere, but Annapolis only rents them to liveaboards for long-term (I just spoke to the harbor master who confirmed that).
sneuman,

I am sure that this statement is not true - I have been on a mooring there for about 10 days at the mooring rate which is now $30/night and they will have access to the private head in the HM building. You have to pay in advance. The other commercial mooring field that I know of is at the new Hartge Yacht Harbor (formerly Hartge Yacht Yard). Not sure what the fees are. There are some moorings near Pirate Cove and Thursdays that are privately owned. call Pirate Cove and ask....

V49
Old 26-03-2010, 11:58   #3

Boat: PETERSON 44
I stayed on the Annapolis moorings off season years back the harbirmaster discounted the daily charge. Same harbormaster is still there. The moorings are usually used for overnight visitors. Hartges may be able to rent a mooring for a week. As part of the hartge yard changes I think chalk Point marine accross the creek now has several moorings in the same mooring field as hartges on the west river.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 08:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Interesting. I didn't believe it either, so I purposely asked the Harbor Master again. He repeated the same answer. I invite you to call and ask.
Old 29-03-2010, 09:15   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Interesting. I didn't believe it either, so I purposely asked the Harbor Master again. He repeated the same answer. I invite you to call and ask.
Maybe you're not asking the right question of the harbor master, or maybe we are not understanding the question you are asking us.

From the City of Annapolis website:

"Dock space and moorings are available on a first come, first served basis. We do not reserve moorings or slips, except in the case of City-sponsored special events. ...

There are no hourly rates at the moorings; the fee for use of a mooring is $30.00. The moorings are restricted to boats no longer than 45' with some restricted to a maximum of 35'. For overnight customers, checkout time is noon the next day."

So if they moor, pay for a week (granted, it's not cheap!) and then go off to work during the M - F period, who is going to know?

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring