Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2010, 14:15   #1

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
Orange / Perdido / Gulf Shores Transient

I am looking for temporary slip for 27' sailboat (37'm and 5'draft) around perdido beach, prefer close to gulf as I will come from outside and west. I would like something with hotel walking distance from marina. stay 1 or 2 mts...suggestons...
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 01:38   #2

Boat: seawind II Patience
I do not you can get in there mobile.Think there is a legends there,stayed in legends ft walton very pleased/marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 08:45   #3

Boat: Catalina 28
Sanroc Cay Marina and Zeke's Landing Marina on Cotton Bayou are possibilities. They both are close to the Gulf, within walking distance of places you might stay and they list they have transient slips. I have seen larger boats go into Cotton Bayou but I am not certain of the depth of the channel. Sportsman’s Marina may have some slips but I don’t recommend them for sailboats as I have had bad experiences just getting fuel there. They even admit they are not sailboat friendly.
There are not a lot of sailboats in the immediate area and there appears to be some uncertainty with marinas when a sailboat arrives. Most of the sailing activity is a few miles away at Pirates Cove and the ICW area near Perdido Bay. Bear Point Marina is on the ICW and I think they have transient slips. The slips do not seem especially well protected. There is a place to eat but I am not certain about places to stay within walking distance.
Barber Marina is very nice, friendly, and with lots of protected slips but new and far away from anything within walking distance...remote comes to mind. You would need to rent a car if you planned on going somewhere. It is on the ICW and a 30 minute drive from Orange Beach. The Wharf is further west on the ICW also with nice facilities. I think there are condos for rent. It is at least 2 sailboat hrs from the Gulf and it would be expensive.
Perdido Pass can be very exciting at times. It can be very rough rarely with breaking waves and the current can be strong. In addition small fishing boats anchor under the bridge at times further complicating entry. There is a Cotton Bayou channel with a vertical clearance of 41 feet and a Bayou St John channel with a vertical clearance of 54 feet under the Perdido Pass bridge.
Let me suggest Active Captain for further comments especially regarding the Pass and locations of the places I described.
Catnip is offline   Reply With Quote