Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2006, 09:08   #31
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Sean, I would suggest that you give those (or copies) photos to the DDA so they can authenticate them and use them. May also result in additional charges. But if they don't know of them, they can't charge him. Maybe also give a set to the Humane Society?
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 10:22   #32

Boat: 1972 37' irwin center cockpit
I just now emailed the photos to fish and wildlife and plan on getting the photos to the DA as soon as I get my subpoena in the mail. I was contacted by phone because the police had my address wrong but I should have it this week. I will then get with the DA and hope to get this guy charged with more.
teamivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:31   #33

maniac pleas

I did not go to court. He plead his way into fines and such. The good thing is that I got him kicked out of here. He actually had the most expensive slip in the marina, so I am glad that the harbormaster showed integrity and kicked him out in spite of his status. The marina is Columbia Crossings at Tomahawk Island, Portland, Oregon.
Old 09-06-2006, 15:06   #34

Boat: C&C 27
Congratulations! There is someone on Galveston Island catching pelicans and trimming their wings. A few have starved before they could be found by wildlife rehabbers. I only hope they can catch them. It makes one wonder what goes on in the mind of people like that. Then again would you really want to know? Anyway I, for one, appreciate your effort.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 17:08   #35
Kai Nui

Nice to know there is some justice left.
Old 09-06-2006, 19:49   #36

Nice to hear from ya teamivey.

Glad that there is justice still left in this country. That still stands behind the nature and beauty of some of these creatures.

I was beginning to wonder for a bit there. If that case was ever going to go through the court?

Good to hear from you again.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:49   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I don't believe in maiming animals, and when I spearfish (hand spear or powered) I accept that I will miss some because I always try for a brain kill instead of an easier body shot.

But they're FOOD and I'm a PREDATOR. Too many geese? Christmas dinner come early! In the east they are such a problem that pools, golf courses, and parks have been closed because of e.coli contamination from the damned geese. Yes, they are a real health risk and that's only because some bleeding-hearts have gone a bit too far and declared a food prey species are sacred.

Better for all three sides (two human, one geese) to treat them as what they are and allow hunting. The geese will remember to keep away from humans, dinner will be served, and a balance will be struck. It IS possible to have balance, but turning prey into gods isn't the answer either.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:25   #38

Boat: Sceptre 41
Kai Nui,
The folks in Newport Beach have a similar problem with sea lions. They have found that Sea Lions don't like to get wet when they are sunning themselves. Apparently the Newportians are trying motion detectors that turn on sprinklers and report some success. I have met some of your Moss Landing Sea Lions and they are certainly aggressive. Have you tried applying a little hose water on the varmints?
Richard Black
S/V Saeta
Sceptre 41
Quijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:48   #39

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Hellosailor

Ah, alas, a breath of reason! Thank you. We have protected ourselves into untennable situations. Sea lions, geese, beaver, swans, deer and a host of other creatures are making our lives hell because a few control the destiny of (the equivalent of) urban and suburban rats. We have no recourse other than to enjoy the encroachment of excessive numbers of uncontrolled animals into our habitat. Some may enjoy the gaggle of geese swimming by their boats, but what of the hundreds that no longer fly north for the winter. It is also enjoyable to see a couple of deer grazing in a field when we wander into the hinterlands, but 300 being killed along our highways daily because their numbers are too great. I have always found great pleasure in sighting a beaver dam and house in the middle of a pond, but damming streams and rivers that flood homes and make them unlivable.
We have gone too far today as much as our forefathers went too far when they exterminated many of the species we now protect. We must have balance unfortunately, we do not.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 15:41   #40
Senior Cruiser

On the Sea Lions - I KNOW the pain of them from both Moss Landing, Santa Cruz anchorage (thanks Scott ), and Newport Harbor. They are noisy and dirty animals!!! Fortunately (for me) I have a 5 and 1/2 foot freeboard - don't have to worry about Sea Lions using my deck - now ... f'n birds are another story - and they won't let me shoot them either! (for the PC folk - that was said tongue in cheek - and of course I was biting down)
Old 10-06-2006, 17:27   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"f'n birds are another story - and they won't let me shoot them either! "
Please consider joining the Sacred Order of the Eighth Day Colorists. Our job is to color in the lines that the Good Lord drew upon this universe but left for man to finish, as part of of burden as His Keepers.
It is our religious duty to apply bright colors to those poor creatures of the air which normally are a sadly unfinished gray. Paintball guns are a crude tool of this religious expression, but as you move towards a higher state of conciousness, you will be able to use spray paints, and finally, an ordinary brush.

(Cheek? What cheek?<G>)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 18:00   #42
Senior Cruiser

I ain't wait'n no damn eight days to color their $^#%$#s. I'm gonna "color" them NOW!
Old 10-06-2006, 18:42   #43

Boat: C&C 27
Thanks for clearing it up for me...
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:22   #44

too many numbers

I guess I am just a bleeding heart liberal or something. I understand hunting. I don't do it myself, because I don't know where there are any wild cows. Nor does it seem worth the effort as I can get myself a nice steak up the road at a reasonable price. As far as hunting deer or other animals, my thought is that they just don't taste as good as beef, pork chicken, and turkey. It seems to me that if we really thought that elk, deer, pheasant, or yes even geese tasted better we would have ranches full of them rather than cattle and the earlier listed animals. As far as hunting goes for food or sport I don't have a problem with it. That is our instinct. Besides I don't think hunting makes a difference in the animal population.

As far as the deer being to numerous in areas, that to me is laughable. Being from the west coast, but having spent much time on the east coast, I would say that the only overpopulation problem we have is with the animals that have thumbs. Ok I know I am sounding crazy, but think about it. What was the world population a 100 yrs ago? What will it be in another 100? Average life expectancy rises every year, AIDS is no longer the immediate killer it once was. We know all about early detection of prostate and breast cancer, so we are preventive of it now, and less people die. Now I don't want to say that that is a bad thing, my grandfather had prostrate cancer and early detection has given him many productive years and he is still here today, years after diagnosis. My point is, won't we eventually cover every square mile of earth on this planet. My little town that I am from is now a city. There are blocks upon blocks that used to be a habitat for all kinds of different animals and are now concrete, steel and asphalt. Any animal in those areas would be considered to many. So don't get me wrong I am not against killing animals, I have killed my share with my 2500 square foot house and my years of vehicle emissions. I will kill more before I'm done. However none will be killed because they are an annoyance.

I'm sure this posting will get me lambasted by many of you. I just hope that we don't become so callous that animals deserve killing because we don't like where they ****. As far as the paintball guy, he was just the kind of Ahole that symbolizes the worst in us. The kind of guy who still likes to pull wings off of flies. Talk about overpopulation problems.

Now I have to pull my tranny out of this boat so I can get it running again so I can produce more emissions. Ha.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:46   #45
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamivey
My point is, won't we eventually cover every square mile of earth on this planet.
So what if we cover every square mile of Earth? Is there any species out there that limits its own numbers? When you look at a Forest of trees, do you think about the massive tree "overpopluation?"

Besides, there is more than enough room for everyone. Have you ever driven through Utah, Colorado, or Arizona?
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote