Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2016, 19:32   #1

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113
Summer mooring in the Chesapeake

The refit on my Bristol 29.9 is coming right along and I'm hoping to have the boat in the water here in the next few weeks. She'll be floating for the summer with a visit or two but mostly just hanging out until I get back to sail south in the fall. The question remains, where to? Basically, I want to get the boat in the water on a mooring or an inexpensive slip somewhere in the Chesapeake. I want reasonable public transportation access to the marina, so I can fly from Denver and not spend a fortune on taxi rides. If on a mooring, I'll need a spot to tie up the dinghy short term and/or a water taxi for when I'm leaving the boat for longer periods. I'm self sufficient aboard; I don't need shore power/water/etc. I wouldn't entirely mind having access to a shower on shore, but can do without easily enough. In a perfect world this will all cost me $100 a month, but I can do up to twice that. I'm just not interested in dropping 3k or 4k or 6k for an annual slip in Herrington or similar.

Right now Norfolk and Annapolis are topping my list, but I'm open to pretty much any thoughts folks have. It's tough to find moorings, however, and I'm not too keen on sinking my own when I won't likely keep the boat there more than this summer. I've even considered dropping both anchors in Spa Creek but it makes me a bit nervous to leave the boat unattended at anchor for a long period. So, please share your thoughts, or if you know of a marina or someone renting out mooring! Thanks folks!

Phil
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:52   #2

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.
Re: Summer mooring in the Chesapeake

Did you ever find a place?

Annapolis is VERY $$$.

Start going North or South and it can get a lot cheaper.

I suggest you look in the Pasadena area or Edgewater. Pasadena is 15 to 20 minutes from BWI and Edgewater will be a 30 minute ride. Annapolis is about 30 minutes too.

We moved to a nice little marina in Pasadena for $2350 a year. Clean place, 20 minute car ride from BWI. You can walk to the grocery store and some other places in under 10 minutes. The least expensive slip I found in Annapolis was nearly $5,000 for us. Half the money, good sailing and less traffic made our choice over the cool factor of my favorite town. We can just go visit by car or anchor in an off creek and dinghy in to downtown Annapolis.

You could look into the Canton area of Baltimore which would give you access to public transport but then you have the other issues of the city.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:00   #3

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
Re: Summer mooring in the Chesapeake

Hartge Marina Galesville MD. Just a thought. We were thinking of this place if we can get the house sold and boat moved from FL for hurricane season.

Hartge Yacht Harbor in Galesville, Maryland, United States - Home

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring