Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2009, 10:24   #16

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
I agree with Rich on S/V Third Day regarding police boardings and anchor losses. Marina prices, however, can be a bit less expensive than California rates, depending on where you are acustomed to keeping your boat. By San Diego standards, we found Marina de La Paz and the Marina at El Cid in Mazatlan to be about 35 to 40% less expensive for long term stays. We'd also recommend both the anchorage and the new marina at La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. Each of these marinas are secure, well maintained and offer full services with friendly and helpful staffs. We would suggest staying away from the marina in Cabo San Lucas, a wonderful facility, but way more expensive than anywhere in California.

Given the ability to generate your own power without the aid of your main desiel and being able to make your own water, there are many places where you can anchor out and live inexpensively. Even without an onboard watermaker, if you're not adverse to hauling your own fresh water, living out on the hook is very doable.

Lastly, we'd like to extend an 'Hola' to Third Day and Just A Minute and were happy to hear of their adventures sailing up the Sea to avoid Jimena. We're not sure you ever received the photo taken of Third Day under sail in November 2008 we took between Cabo and Las Frailes.

Pete & Kathie
S/V Citla
San Diego, CA
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 10:35   #17

I checked on Marina Mazatlan and it is relatively inexpensive (less then what we are paying in San Francisco currently). I will check Marina de La Paz and Marina at El Cid. I would suspect that with the amount of tourists visiting Mexico and the marinas, that police boarding would be likely but rare.

We are looking for a "home base" while in Mexico where we will live but then venture out to different anchorages for mini trips and overnights.
firstm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 11:48   #18

Boat: Islander Mk II 30' Tansi Yotin - Northern Cree meaning "Welcome Wind"
We left our boat for a few months at the Coral Marina in Ensenada, very secure, excellent service, reasonable rates.
Stayed for a few days at Marina Cabo San Lucas, good service, grossly over priced.
Stayed at Costa Baja in La Paz for quite a while, very nice marina, very secure, a little out of the way, but they provide a free and excellent taxi service to town. It was getting pricey when we left. I heard good reports from all the marinas in La Paz.
The boat is sitting at Mazatlan Marina at this time, good rates, very friendly, no problems.
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 11:59   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
We left our boat for a few months at the Coral Marina in Ensenada, very secure, excellent service, reasonable rates.
Stayed for a few days at Marina Cabo San Lucas, good service, grossly over priced.
Stayed at Costa Baja in La Paz for quite a while, very nice marina, very secure, a little out of the way, but they provide a free and excellent taxi service to town. It was getting pricey when we left. I heard good reports from all the marinas in La Paz.
The boat is sitting at Mazatlan Marina at this time, good rates, very friendly, no problems.
do you have a neighbor named patricia belle--an 85 ft schooner??? if so--tell them hay from me--goooodfriends..plan on joining them this year if all goes well.....in my formosa --have to show them my boat and work on it for a bit......

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophytecruiser View Post
I agree with Rich on S/V Third Day regarding police boardings and anchor losses. Marina prices, however, can be a bit less expensive than California rates, depending on where you are acustomed to keeping your boat. By San Diego standards, we found Marina de La Paz and the Marina at El Cid in Mazatlan to be about 35 to 40% less expensive for long term stays. We'd also recommend both the anchorage and the new marina at La Cruz de Huanacaxtle. Each of these marinas are secure, well maintained and offer full services with friendly and helpful staffs. We would suggest staying away from the marina in Cabo San Lucas, a wonderful facility, but way more expensive than anywhere in California.

Given the ability to generate your own power without the aid of your main desiel and being able to make your own water, there are many places where you can anchor out and live inexpensively. Even without an onboard watermaker, if you're not adverse to hauling your own fresh water, living out on the hook is very doable.

Lastly, we'd like to extend an 'Hola' to Third Day and Just A Minute and were happy to hear of their adventures sailing up the Sea to avoid Jimena. We're not sure you ever received the photo taken of Third Day under sail in November 2008 we took between Cabo and Las Frailes.

Pete & Kathie
S/V Citla
San Diego, CA

EVERYTHING is less expensive ANYWHERE than san diego...LOL...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2010, 12:02   #20

Boat: Islander Mk II 30' Tansi Yotin - Northern Cree meaning "Welcome Wind"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
do you have a neighbor named patricia belle--an 85 ft schooner??? if so--tell them hay from me--goooodfriends..plan on joining them this year if all goes well.....in my formosa --have to show them my boat and work on it for a bit......
I think she just pulled in when we were leaving but I am heading back Feb 1.... Staying for a few days then south towards Barra de Navidad.....
Rick A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, Mexico