Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2011, 03:59   #16

Re: A New Documentary Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
+1 on BBC series, like The Blue Planet, Oceans, etc. Really enjoyed Sharkwater: SHARKWATER - beautiful, but sad.
Hey Katiusha - isn't The Blue Planet just exquisite, I love it. I watched your link for Sharkwater and have put it in my Amazon Wish List I respect all marine life but have always been wary & a little frightened of sharks, esp when I'm in the water. It might just do me good to watch Sharkwater so I can emphathise with their situation rather than keep them at arm's length & avoiding them like the plague.

Thanks for the recommendation

Serena
Old 16-12-2011, 05:18   #17

Boat: Van de stadt Vita. 30ft

Deep Water was good,it's only half the story though. The book called " A voyage for madmen" is worth a read.
Aussie legend Malcolm Douglas with book and movie entitled "Follow the sun" sailed a pearling lugger along the Kimberly Coast back in the 70's.
I'll go out on a limb here and say Alby Mangles with the "World Safari" documentaries. The critics have some undeniable, valid points about his work but I do think he is the forefather of the travel/adventure documentary genre.
There was a series on Australian TV, SBS I think called "Gap Year" one of the storys was about a family sailing from UK to Australia aboard there catamaran.
PaulyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 18:17   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Hey Katiusha - isn't The Blue Planet just exquisite, I love it.
After watching The Blue Planet we've started accumulating other BBC series about our planet (original BBC DVDs are cheaper in Turkey than in North America). All BBC footage is just perfect - as we watch the most frequent question is: "How did they manage to film THAT?!". Sometimes they show the filming process, but it's still incredible.

Always a treat for the eyes and the brain!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 06:05   #19

[QUOTE=Katiusha;839240]Really enjoyed Sharkwater: SHARKWATER - beautiful, but sad.

Hi Katiusha, wow -- I watched Sharkwater last night and found it so moving I was in tears for most of it. Some of the vision was so intense I couldn't watch it but for the most part it was compelling.

Thanx for recommending it. I knew sharks were at risk but that so many of them were in such dire straits was an eye opener. I loved this doco, it has charged me into action.

Thanks again
S
Old 18-12-2011, 10:55   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

BBC TV Series - Tomthy Spall: Somewhere at sea. a Trip around Britain on a barge (sea worthy on nice days)......IMO really captures the joys of simply pottering around

Not sure if available online......

BBC Four - Timothy Spall: Somewhere at Sea
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 04:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
BBC TV Series - Tomthy Spall: Somewhere at sea. a Trip around Britain on a barge (sea worthy on nice days)......IMO really captures the joys of simply pottering around
Hey David OJ, Timothy Spall from Lemony Snickett, Sweeney Todd & Harry Potter? I never picked him for a boater but his demeanour is so charming on the promos for Somewhere at Sea. Thanks so much for recommending it. Here he is in a promo for Back at Sea (so endearing):

Pottering is highly under-rated

S
Old 22-12-2011, 00:55   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
The Cruel Sea - Penlee Lifeboat Disaster

Last Monday was the 30th anniversory of this incident. 5 years ago a documentory was shown in the UK to mark the 25th anniversory, and was re-shown the other night.

BBC iPlayer - Cruel Sea: The Penlee Lifeboat Disaster

It is a tragic story, but an incredible program to watch.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 02:11   #23

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Re: The Cruel Sea - Penlee Lifeboat Disaster

Speaking of pottering about, Dylan Winter, a documentary filmmaker, has been studying the east coast of the UK for a few years now. The films are wonderfully relaxing.

Keep Turning Left
Old 23-12-2011, 09:31   #24

Boat: Hobie 16

Definitely 180 South
180° SOUTH
Great cinematography, cool storyline & awesome soundtrack!
Maybe I'm a bit bias, also being a climber & surfer.
Jeff Johnson, inspired by Chouinard & Tompkin's adventure in the '60s to drive CA to Patagonia, travels to same destination although mostly via sailboat. Chouinard & Tompkin are legends in climbing community & clips of their original trip is edited in throughout film.
Did I mention awesome soundtrack?
red.sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:36   #25

CBS story re Panama/San Blas Islands

OMG, a startling story about a guy in Panama who murdered boat owners who were cruising the San Blas Is. He stole their boats, their money & even one of their identities.

It's a tv show, not a documentary but I put it here b/c I didn't where else to put it.

Dark Side of Paradise - 48 Hours - CBS News
Old 07-02-2012, 01:59   #26

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: CBS story re Panama/San Blas Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
OMG, a startling story about a guy in Panama who murdered boat owners who were cruising the San Blas Is. He stole their boats, their money & even one of their identities.

It's a tv show, not a documentary but I put it here b/c I didn't where else to put it.

Dark Side of Paradise - 48 Hours - CBS News

Wow!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote