Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2010, 10:37   #16

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Yeah, best spot off Norman's, short walk to MacDuffs for a burger. Although I still haven't decided whether MacDuffs or Staniel YC burger is better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Hey Bob,

You're anchored in my buddy's (Watermusic, Morgan 384) spot!

bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 10:56   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Now we're onto burgers. The best is at Long Island Breeze in Thompson Bay, Long Island. Second, Sampson Cay. Much better than Staniel's (they don't even have a hamburger bun at Staniel, just two slices of bread). MacDuffs (now they like to be called The Norman Cay Beach Club or something like that) is much too expensive. They also charge extra for the fries. And both the Staniel Cay Yacht Club and MacDuffs no longer have free wifi. This area's going to hell in a handbasket.
Old 19-08-2010, 12:21   #18

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
As long as were on burgers, Green Parrot in Nassau has a better Burger than either one of the Exumas spots, and Berry Island Club, Frazers Hog will make ya a mean burger....
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 02:17   #19

Boat: boatless
Well.... I really appreciate all the replies. And not to ignore the advice... but we're now the proud owner of one week in Nassua - 12 February (Saturday to Saturday).

Apparently the morning after I posted the question, my husband booked the Nassau charter. 'It all just kind of fell together - like it was fate?'. I read your replies a little late.

So now I need to impose upon you Bahamian sailors for your best advice for making the best of it. Burger joints, provisioning locations, etc. Worst case we're still on vacation in a beautiful area away from ... snow and grey days... and with a premium view to boot. Bahamas have got rum, right? [put smiley face here - I used Quick Reply].

Clearly I need to anchor by the lone palm....

Since we have the boat to ourselves with an empty cabin to store an extra suitcase, I'm thinking of packing some portable provisions, maybe some galley staples or crackers, granola bars and such. I expect provisioning is comparable to BVI in terms of cost and availability? Pretty much everything is imported? What if anything do you bring with you....? Well, if you didn't sail there and already have it on board.

Woohoo. We're going sailing!
NotJustDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 02:35   #20

Quote:

Here's a pic of one of the Navtours charter boats aground in the middle of the Normans anchorage.

Not good.
Old 20-08-2010, 05:00   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Notjustdreaming,

You can provision at City Farms, it's close by in a plaza just across the street from Harbour Club Marina. You will be in Yacht Haven which is about three blocks west of Harbour Club. Food is a bit more expensive than in the US as there is duty on everything imported and nearly everything is imported. For one week it's not worth lugging much from home. Beer is expensive $40 a case (nearly like Ontario prices) but good rum is only $9 a liter. Buy booze from Bristol Liquors, across the street from the marina and west towards the bridge. Bring munchies if you've room in your luggage as this stuff is expensive.

For sailing area you'll have to rely on your instructions from Navtours. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you'll have a great time. If you get down to Shroud Cay (five miles south of Normans) here's what you should see if you go through the mangroves and creeks to the ocean side. If you like swimming or snorkeling make sure you bring a wetsuit as the water is cool. I never go in without one.

Old 20-08-2010, 05:35   #22

Quote:

Oh my gosh!

I would have said I'm speechless... but apparently that is physically impossible....

Thanks much for the info. If you think of anything else, please pass it on. Will do on the wet suits.
Old 20-08-2010, 06:54   #23

Boat: Currently Boatless
Notjustdreaming,
You will have about a 30 mile sail (say 5-6 hours) from Nassau to get into the Exumas (ie. Allans Cay or Highbourne Cay). This will be your first introduction to shallow water sailing as you will be in about 12ft of water most of the way. There are coral heads along they way that will be more difficult to spot early in the morning (sun in you face) or if the water is rough. Don't get lazy on your transit - you have to always keep an eye out. You will know when you see the heads - they are dark black - don't even think about driving over one.

My experience is that most of the anchorages in the Exumas have fairly strong tidal currents. I remember when we pulled into Allans, we dropped the hook and then puzzled over which way we should pull to set - the wind was from the south and a strong current from the north at that time of day. We had a 50 knot gale come through at Allens (mid Feb of this year) which was interesting - we knew it was coming so were able to set a second anchor (which got all twisted up with our main anchor) but we faired ok, just spent most of the night up watching the GPS.

I don't want to burst your bubble or freak you out - just a heads up that at this time of year the weather can still be a bit volatile and you can get stuck in places waiting for a weather window. You will likely only have VHF so don't be afraid to ask other cruisers (with SSB or sat phones) in your anchorage for weather updates (from Allens you will be able to pick up the morning cruisers net from Highbourne Cay). You won't have any problem getting help if you ask - there will be lots of cruisers out there.

Nassau is a bit of a tough jumping off point for new sailors and only a week of time - you are in the middle of all the great cruising grounds but really have to go 30+ miles in any direction to get to any of them which will knock 2 days off your vacation just for travel. You should really be going to 2 weeks at least. This will put you out of VHF contact with home base. If you go with an unlocked cell phone you can buy a sim card at Batelco in Nassau - cell coverage in the Bahamas is actually quite good. We didn't spend any time in New Providence other than a bit of provisioning and touring Nassau. Be careful anchoring in the main channel in Nassau - very poor holding and good tidal current - the charter company will warn you. Pop them an email and get them to suggest an itinerary for one week. You can then study up in google earth etc and be as prepared as you can. They can also set you up with a skipper for your first overnighter which can be a good way to get the lay of the land and tricks of the trade. If you can I would try and re-schedule to a bit later in the season (April) as the weather is a bit more benign and temps in the low to mid 80's. We've chartered before also and yes as you have found out, these are expensive vacations.

I would also look at cruising on the west coast of Canada (our old cruising ground was Nanaimo on Vancouver Island). Very scenic, lots to see in small hops down though the gulf islands - this one you would do in the summer, easy to get there and you would have a great time with a week to spend as all of you sailing is in protected waters. Check our Nanaimo Yacht Charters and Sailing School.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat some more... we just got back from 7 months in the Bahamas.
KevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 09:52   #24

Wow! Great Info

Thanks Kevin,

That's alot of great advice.

Although it is not a flotilla per se, Navtours has what they referred to as 'the Mothership' that departs Sunday mornings (which is why they only have Saturday charter starts). We can follow the Mothership if we choose and they have crew available to assist if required.

Initially we planned to stick close to the Mothership and see how we feel after getting back in the groove. But based on all your comments, looks like we'll be baby ducks following behind the whole time. Not so much for the coral (we're good to stand watch) but for the weather forecasts, current, mooring and anchoring issues that will be new to us.

Hopefully the weather works out for us. We're going on a two week family vacation with our three kids in December. This week in February is just as much an escape break from parenting as it is a sailing holiday. So the fact it'll be just the two of us alone somewhere not (freezing) cold will keep us from being very disappointed if the weather doesn't cooperate.

And losing the two days going from Nassau to the Exumas is sailing, not travel, for us at this point. I'm looking forward to the longish sail. Certainly on the way down it will give us a warm up.

I haven't checked details like current and wind direction for the area. I'm waiting for an Exumas cruising guide. Dial up at home - I hate surfing the web. And we're taking the Coastal Navigation course at the local marina.

Overall I'm really looking forward to this. Short as it is. Just the two of us.......

Thanks much... and I will PM you when I think of more questions... since you offered.
Old 30-01-2011, 06:06   #25

Two weeks to go!

I am really looking forward to this trip. Though I have to admit I'm a bit nervous. This is a new form of vacation for us. We're usually very laid back when things don't work out the way we expect them. Or when things go wrong.

I'm a little worried about boat spats. We rarely argue, especially on vacation. But... new activity, lots of things to think about, confined space.

Hmm, this is it. Although a short test, we're about to find out if we're compatible on a boat.

I can't wait to have the cockpit to ourselves. Starry night. Sound of water and a creaking boat. Amazing colours of the water. Sand, sun, libations. All by ourselves.

My husband told me I can't plan the next cruise until we get back from this one. Why does he have to be so practical. After this - I'm thinking no more all-inclusive vacations for us. Bareboating!
Old 30-01-2011, 07:01   #26

Boat: Cape Dory
Good thread

NJD -
This is an interesting thread. I am looking forward to your report when you return. Have a great trip!
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 07:42   #27

For sure I'll give a trip report when we get back. Maybe too long. But no one has to keep reading I guess.

Thanks for the comment.

I can't help myself.... I was just browsing charters in the Grenadines. We could actually charter an Athena for 20 days for around $6000 in the low season (August). I'll have to do more research. And I'm not sure if we'd qualify with our lack of experience. Maybe hire a skipper for a day to qualify. I thought it would be over $10K for three weeks. Certainly I could give up our annual winter holidays for that kind of experience. Still have the snow issue though.

We finally broke down and got high speed internet. For a few weeks now I've enjoyed immediate gratification when I click the mouse. Finally I can watch posted videos, add photos, do lots of research from home. I don't even have to logon to CF any more. It happens automatically! Who would have thought.

Tags
abaco, bareboat, British Virgin Islands, nassau