Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 11:43   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Bahamas Family Reunion

We plan on cruising, leaving the Chesapeake Bay in Sept 2015 and heading via ICW to the Bahamas. Our daughter will turn 1 on 2/2/16 and my family would like to meet us for a party in the Bahamas. The location can't be determined totally last minute due to the cost of plane fair and my brother has 4 kids to mobilize.
We need a marina that has nice accommodations for non-boating guests, not to touristy (Nassau is out of the question), preferably everything we need will be on site or within walking distance. Also has to be reasonable for us to get to by late January/early February.
TIA,
Sharon
4archsmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 11:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Bahamas Family Reunion

Sharon,

Are you aware you are headed into the hurricane belt at the height of the hurricane season with an infant?

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 12:15   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Are you aware you are headed into the hurricane belt at the height of the hurricane season with an infant?
Not so. To be clear, the plan is to sail the Chesapeake in September, enter the ICW in October, cross the GA-FL line Nov 1 and not cross to the Bahamas until early January – just like almost every other snowbird cruiser.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 13:02   #4

Boat: Pearson 422

Arch,

A couple of places in the Abacos come to mind: Hopetown & Treasure Cay. We had some folks meet us at Treasure Cay - small airport with direct flights to/from US, plenty of hotel space, lots of room to either anchor or take a slip with good space for a party either at the pool or the beach.

Sounds like a fun plan! Have a great time and maybe we'll see you down there.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 12:04   #5

Thanks Paperbird, theses are great suggestions!
Old 27-05-2015, 12:12   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

I'm also looking for suggestions along the lines of 4archsmate. Will be in the abacos starting Nov 2015 with family flying down for a week of scuba diving and general hanging out.

So a double thanks for all suggestions.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 12:29   #7

Check out Bimini also, I believe there is still a water shuttle from Ft Lauderdale or Miami as well as reasonable comuter flights. Bimimi sands marina if you rent rooms for family your slip is included.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 18:26   #8

Boat: Various

I'd really consider Harbour Island, Eleuthera. We were there earlier this week. It's just the right mix for having amenities but being peaceful and calm. On this trip we've been to Nassau and Chub Cay as well and Harbour Island is the perfect compromise between the nature of those two places.

Also considerably less expensive than Bimini or Nassau. Bimini's prices are pushed up due to the proximity to South Florida. We're in Bimini now.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 18:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

My vote would be for Staniel Key. Walk to the "resort" from the airport, nice cottages for rent, not touristy and plenty to do if you want.
Old 27-05-2015, 18:58   #10

Be aware that early February can be quite cool in the Bahamas. Great for walking and sailing but the kids might not want to do much swimming. It can also be very windy for days at a time, so plan a marina with good protection.

While the Abacos can be cooler than farther south, I don't find it that different and Abaco has much better air service and marinas.

I would vote for Bluff House on Green Turtle Cay. Great for kids. Large pool right next to the bar/restaurant. Very protected marina. Rent a golf cart to ride into the fun small town. Wonderful beach and beach bar on ocean side of resort. Well above average food for Abacos.

Several nearby islands are also great picnic lunch spots to take the boat with the whole gang.

Fly into Marsh Harbor or Treasure Cay. Take 5 minute taxi from Treasure Cay to ferry dock. 15 minute ferry right to the dock of Bluff House.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 08:41   #11

these are great suggestions, thanks!

Tags
Bahamas, family