Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 07:15   #76

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Best Boat Bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
............ I have a Strida. For me it's perfect. It folds smaller than any other bike, is powder coated aluminum, has a belt drive and gets me around. In Mexico, doing 10 miles was a breeze. I've had many offers to buy it. Tells me they are desired.
I met a guy on a boat who had two of those. He seemed to like them a lot but he didn't offer to let me ride one. They fold small and the belt drive eliminates greasy or rusted chains.

For our boat and boating style, we chose not to carry bicycles. Between the original cost, the difficulty of finding storage space on our boat and the worry of theft, we decided that walking or taking a cab would have to do. So far, this has worked for us. When we come home from a cruise, our doctor tells us we are in better shape than when we left.

I bought a folding grocery cart (like you sometimes see seniors with) and it takes care of groceries and laundry.
Old 13-01-2017, 07:35   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So far the URB-E's are working well, but we are still house living so not a real test yet, give me a year and I will know for sure, but a couple of things are apparent.
It really does have a long range, I doubt we have or ever will go 20 miles though, but range is not the issue I had thought it would be, in other words I was skeptical, I thought the range numbers came from a 90 lb rider going down hill , but it will haul me easily well over 10 miles, and has surprising torque.
The things are not flimsy at all, they are very robustly built, my 250 lbs doesn't faze the structure at all on a bumpy road, even the kickstand is over built.
It steers a little squirrely, I assume due to the tiny tires, its not unsafe, but your not riding this thing without your hands on the bars, brake is excellent.
I look like a Circus clown riding it, I am sure cause we get some looks, usually smiles, nobody has pointed and laughed, yet.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 07:42   #78

Boat: shopping

new dual wheel electric 13 miles and hour and up to 20 miles range. https://youtu.be/qYG8Ll7J15g
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 08:48   #79

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedog11 View Post
new dual wheel electric 13 miles and hour and up to 20 miles range. https://youtu.be/qYG8Ll7J15g
I had one of these. They are lots of fun.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:22   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedog11 View Post
Would like to push this conversation a little more and ask if anyone has experience with any of he newer modes of personal transportation. Powered scooter like the electric Razor or gas powered scooters, or some of the new electric long boards. These break down smaller than the bikes and set up smaller. They are also price competitive with the bikes as well as not requiring the pedaling.
Scooters will get you around town pretty well but you'll have a hard time carrying groceries or laundry on them.

Another thing is the very small wheels. These could drop into a pothole and stop the scooter without stopping the rider. That could be a problem.
Old 30-01-2017, 06:59   #81

I watched someone get put into the wall while riding a scooter in Bermuda. It was horrible. No helmet, gloves & in shorts and t-shirt. It was horrible.
t3c9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 07:08   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3c9 View Post
I watched someone get put into the wall while riding a scooter in Bermuda. It was horrible. No helmet, gloves & in shorts and t-shirt. It was horrible.
That's another problem with bicycles or scooters. You really should have the helmet and other safety equipment and that adds cost and complicates storage. I realize we didn't have it when we were kids but we didn't know any better and we were close to home and had our parents to take care of us.
Old 30-01-2017, 07:27   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Our URB-E's max out at about 12 MPH. A good kid can run faster, I will take the chance.
Plus you don't have to run WOT, we usually don't, usually about twice what a brisk walk is.
Life is full of risks, the risk that is tough to manage is the drunk or stupid driver in an automobile, but they run over pedestrians too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 07:37   #84

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's another problem with bicycles or scooters. You really should have the helmet and other safety equipment and that adds cost and complicates storage. I realize we didn't have it when we were kids but we didn't know any better and we were close to home and had our parents to take care of us.
We agree.

Helmets are a cheap and easy safety measure when cruising around islands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e-Twow.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	140372  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 02:39   #85

Boat: True North 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
We agree.

Helmets are a cheap and easy safety measure when cruising around islands.
I see you have the E-TwoW. My wife has the the 'Booster' version of the same. I have the I-Max S1+ and I have to advocate for these excellent machines as boat vehicles.

They have no chain, so no grease or oil getting everywhere and no maintenance required apart from keeping the tyres at the right pressure. I can get a solid 22 miles out of my I-Max (180 lbs) and my wife can get about 18 miles out of hers (115) lbs. They fold tiny compared to any bike and the E-TwoW weighs a svelte 24 lbs and charges in two hours. The I-Max is closer to 40 lbs.

Don't be fooled by the toylike appearance, these are serious vehicles and, with a decent backpack, you can carry a fair amount of shopping. The I-Max does over 20 mph and the 10" inflatable wheels soak up small bumps but would come a cropper in a pothole. We have yet to test them out on the islands but we've covered over 500 kms around Vancouver without any problem.

Given the size and shape when folded, they are easily the most convenient form of shore transport to carry in a dinghy or small tender. They are massive fun in their own right, spookily silent and I cannot recommend them highly enough.
Knapweed is offline   Reply With Quote