Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2013, 03:13   #106
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Best luxury upgrades to add to a 30 foot boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
Single plate induction burners are very light and use less power than an electric hot plate. The other advantages are less retained heat, faster heat up... About 3x as fast, much lighter...2x lighter, switches off if the pot is removed, a much improved more modern technology.

A 2000 watt one boils your water for a coffee in around a minute, the old style buffet burner hotplate takes about 6 minutes.

Disadvantages.... Requires a good quality sine wave power supply and magnetic pots.

I am absolutely nuts about my induction cooktop and it is WELL worth the small bother of needing magnetic pans. They're easily found -- just slip a magnet in your pocket and go to some garage sales. I have found that the great majority of micro-wavable food (having an instant meal around is handy on occasion) can be heated very well on mine by wrapping it in tin foil. Then I just heat it on both sides, turning often.

If/when I return to land-based living I will still use induction cooking. In my opinion it is superior even to natural gas. Mine came with a grill that cooks wonderful steaks.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 04:44   #107

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

I am absolutely nuts about my induction cooktop and it is WELL worth the small bother of needing magnetic pans. They're easily found -- just slip a magnet in your pocket and go to some garage sales. I have found that the great majority of micro-wavable food (having an instant meal around is handy on occasion) can be heated very well on mine by wrapping it in tin foil. Then I just heat it on both sides, turning often.

If/when I return to land-based living I will still use induction cooking. In my opinion it is superior even to natural gas. Mine came with a grill that cooks wonderful steaks.
Or they make an interface disk you can use with non magnetic cookware.

A recent favorite if mine has been an air chair ($35 from big online retailers) to hang from a spinnaker halyard and watch the sunset.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 04:59   #108
cruiser

Re: Best Luxury Upgrades to Add to a 30 Foot Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Or they make an interface disk you can use with non magnetic cookware.

A recent favorite if mine has been an air chair ($35 from big online retailers) to hang from a spinnaker halyard and watch the sunset.

SC

Can you provide a link? I didn't find one under $69.95.
Old 30-07-2013, 05:15   #109

Boat: S2 9.2C

A sultry girlfriend/masseuse/chef who loves to swab decks, do laundry and never complains....
pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 08:06   #110

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Can you provide a link? I didn't find one under $69.95.
Sure! The price for the specific one I have is now $42.95 which does fluctuate as many prices do on Amazon. It is by Sky Enterprises USA.

Here is a similar chair that is even a name brand for $39.98.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000G7...r=8-22&pi=SL75

If you search 'Hammock chair' on eBay or amazon there are tons. It is my on board recliner that I love to read in when we are tied up or on the hook.

It looks like this: (there are fancier models with frames which are more expensive)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3197597550.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	64862

Hope this helps!
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 08:24   #111
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Sure! The price for the specific one I have is now $42.95 which does fluctuate as many prices do on Amazon. It is by Sky Enterprises USA.

Here is a similar chair that is even a name brand for $39.98.
Hammaka 1031-HMKA Cradle Chair Blue, Wood:Amazon:Patio, Lawn & Garden

If you search 'Hammock chair' on eBay or amazon there are tons. It is my on board recliner that I love to read in when we are tied up or on the hook.

It looks like this: (there are fancier models with frames which are more expensive)

Attachment 64862

Hope this helps!
SC

That's the one I saw!

Wish I had had that during TS Debby! The water was so high I couldn't get off my boat most of the time, and although it was very windy, it was often quite sunny. So I was sitting on deck with my back to the mast reading my Kindle.

Two sightseers came by (wading through the water that completely covered the docks and the roadway between them) and took my picture, which I thought was funny --

but sitting up there reading is a pure delight. Saving that link! The kids always want to know what to get me for Christmas ...