Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2019, 08:43   #1

Best recommendations on folding bikes

Looking for opinions on those with folding bikes. Needs to be lightweight, easy to single handedly load in tender, basket for provisions, fun to ride. Any thoughts?
plumqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Well, lightweight = $$$, the lighter the more $$$.

Sort of which boat is best, without a monetary figure, it’s tough to advise.
A $5,000 bike will be much better than a $500 one, how much can you spend?

Are you a serious cyclist now or were you in the past?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Best recommendations on folding bikes

I really love my dahon . Not light but its the old school (1992 ) stainless frame model.
Th newer titanium model is lighter .
I have never had an issue getting it in or out of the tender. ( or on or off busses or trains for that matter)
just keep your shift and brake cables lubed well
I highly recommend an internal hub not gear cluster and retailers ( more places for issues)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0001.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	446.2 KB
ID:	191390  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:52   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My ideal would be a Ti framed, belt drive with a Nuvinci hub transmission, and probably a coaster brake, aluminum wheels and SS spokes, or maybe carbon.
Ti because Carbon is fragile, Ti isn’t, nuvinci hub cause derailuers are problematic in salt, and wouldn’t work with a belt, belt with a plastic/fiber front sprocket cause that doesn’t rust.
Coaster brake cause it doesn’t require a cable.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:43   #5

Boat: Rival 36

I’d recommend the Brompton. Folds really small, has lots of luggage options and is easy in and out of a tender. If you look closely, there is one and a bag on the beach!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	191400
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:05   #6

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

I have one of these and love it!

https://stridacanada.ca/
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:07   #7

Boat: Nauticat 44 Pilothouse

We have these folding bikes https://www.amazon.com/Retrospec-Sin.../dp/B07N7YVFTK
Very light, easy to fold, rode them all over Bellingham. They are not for long distance riding but easy to go five miles or so. They fit both my 6'4" husband and me at 5'8.
gardeningal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:10   #8

We have a pair of Airnimal Joeys aboard, used for 12 years so far, minimum 6000km/bike. Aluminium frame, you can specify the components, we have hub change gears, they are superb, low maintenance, bikes easy to fold/store. The only negative is that they are slightly heavy, but very robust. You can view here: Airnimal | Folding Bikes
MarkOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:35   #9

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. We had a pr of cheap Chinese folding bikes in Asia......could not recommend them after the 1st year.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:37   #10

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

I went through three folding bikes in twelve years as a full-time cruiser. Considerations are;

Riding conditions: If you are cruising the Bahamas, a single speed will do nicely. Rarely will you encounter a hill that will require you to get off and push the bike. In the Eastern Caribbean, you will need at least ten speeds (preferably more) to get around the islands. Not only are the trade winds a killer, but the islands are mountains rising out of the sea.

You always be around saltwater; so titanium, carbon fiber or aluminum should be your only frame choices. Steel will rust, stainless steel is shiny, but grabbing that top tube after it sits in the sun for an hour or so, and is usually a bit heavier. In the Caribbean, the residents are poor and a bicycle can be a tempting target. Best option is aluminum, cheap, very light and if you crack the frame there is usually someone in thermostats who can fix the frame.

Chain: unless the chain is stainless steel, have the bike shop order and install a stainless steel chain. Save your self a lot of grief and greasy mess. I would stay away from drive belts. Local shops in the undeveloped world don't stock them and don't know how to fix them.

Spokes: If at all possible try to limit the spokes to a maximum of two spoke lengths. The non-drive side of your rear wheel should be the same spoken length as your front wheel. Buy at least four spares for each spoke length and learn how to install and true a wheel. Roads in the undeveloped world are bad. Spoke replacement was my number one issue.

Brakes: Disc brakes are great, but try finding replacement parts or someone to service them in the undeveloped world. Best are Vee Brakes. They may not stop as well in the rain and mud, but they are easy to service and parts are usually available.

Pedals: Flat pedals are best, as cleated shoes are very slippery on the tiled and concrete surfaces. Flat pedals should have some type of grip, either short pins or grated surfaces. It's a pain when your shoes are slipping off the pedals because accumulated mud or a rainstorm.

Carry devices: I started with baskets on the rear, but quickly got rid of them. They constantly made it difficult to get the bike in and out of the dinghy and were just wide enough to cause storage issues (and made bailing off the bike exciting). I found a large backpack to be best. Gives you a cushion if you fall off or bail out. Get one with a drinking bladder pocket, you know the quality of water on your boat...do you really trust the antiquated island drinking water supplies? Bottled water bottles, like quart oil bottles are a scourge on the beaches.

Helmets and gloves: I found that island drivers are normally courteous. It's the tourists in rental cars than are the problem. From driving on the opposite side of the road from their home countries, an unfamiliar vehicle to driving on the island's narrow pothole roads. A fall without gloves can give you a serious and painful road rash, but can also keep you hands clean if you have a mechanical problem. Always wear a helmet! Do you really want to check I to a third world hospital with a head injury?
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:39   #11

Boat: cheoy lee 43 pilothouse

www.downtube.com...
oceane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:21   #12

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

It's a bit like asking which boat is best - it just depends. So start by telling us about your level of biking skills, what bike you have now, what sort of price range you are thinking about, and what are the most important aspects of a bike for you. Some cruisers are happy with cheap clunkers that they replace as needed while others want a folder that will ride as close as possible to a quality street bike. Personally I wanted one that folded very small for storage on my small boat (what is your boat BTW?), and for taking ashore in a dinghy, so I went with a Brompton. I also usually take the folded bike into stores with me - leaving it outside is risky pretty much anywhere (or back to a cheap bike that wouldn't be a big loss). If I were more interested in a serious bike I would go with larger wheels and possibly derailleurs. I am satisfied with steel frames because I don't leave bikes outside in the weather when not being used, and take care of them. In my experience frame rust is the least of the issues; the components usually are made with plated fasteners and they start rusting pretty quickly if not protected (so use a protectant).

Greg

BTW Nickel-plated chains are easy to find and resist rust well. Since you will also be lubing the chain regularly rust won't be a problem, right? If you are intending to not maintain your bike then a clunker is for you.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:49   #13

Boat: Gemini 3200

Before buying any folding bike be sure its folded dimensions will allow it to pass through the hatches and companionways where you intend to store it.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:56   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I’ve seen many a nickel plated chain, I believe the Dahon Mariner comes with them, but have never seen an SS bicycle chain.
That would be slick, cause even the nickel plated ones rust, nickel plated looks pretty in the shop though.

On edit Google finds many SS bike chains, mostly single and 9 speed though.
That and an “SS missing link” and I’m in there.
Never know what you’ll learn here
Old 05-05-2019, 12:01   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Following. We had a pr of cheap Chinese folding bikes in Asia......could not recommend them after the 1st year.

That can be an option though, unless well cared for, stored in bags down below even a Bike Friday will quickly corrode, a cheap bike you can replace yearly if storing below isn’t possible

Tags
men