Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 09:17   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Best stowaway bikes for curisers??

Bike Friday New World Tourist (bikefriday.com) has been an invaluable companion for the boat and everything else. Bike folds into a suitcase for storage which can be converted into a trailer. Rides like a real bike that has worked so well that I've retired my full size bikes. They are custom built in Oregon so not cheap but well worth the cost. I'm thinking about adding electric power. They have a battery pack that can be shipped by air which is something you need to be aware of. Have shipped mine around in its suitcase on the airlines as regular baggage without the extra cost that plagues full sized bikes. bikefriday.com

Bike Friday has come out with a new model called Pakit that folds into a backpack. It's very lightweight and takes up little space when folded.

Weight is a big consideration in a boat bike. Hoisting the bike over lifelines from a dinghy or dock is way way way easier if bike is less than 30 pounds. Many of the cheap folders are made from regular thick wall pipe and weigh a ton. Had one of those cheap bikes and ended up giving it away right quickly. Not only was it heavy but had an uncomfortable cramped riding position.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 09:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We used a pair of Dahons for many years; however, we came to prefer full-size bicycles (24" to 26" wheels) during our last years of cruising. I could raise the bikes from our dinghy and lower them into our aft cabin with a strap on our mizzen halyard. Quick release wheels allow the larger bikes to be stored almost as compactly as the folding bikes. Of course, these choices depend on the size of your boat, dinghy and storage space. We never cruised with our bikes on deck and I was willing to take a couple of dinghy trips to shuttle bikes, groceries and laundry.

I met a clever solo cruiser in the Chesapeake that kept several ugly beat-up, but functional, bikes chained to fences or poles at different ports that he frequented. His boat was small, but his plan was great!
Old 22-01-2021, 09:43   #18

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post
Hello Members..... what (brand/model) would you recommend for a stowaway peddle bike for a cruising sailboat boat?

And if your a cruiser.....would you recommend a peddle bike for the boat?

Thanks
Don & Gloria
For space and stowage considerations you might consider an electric skateboard. You can carry it in a knapsack - so no theft issues when you're not riding it and they perform as normal skateboards when they run low on juice. This is assuming one knows how to ride a skateboard. If not you can go from cruiser to curser pretty fast
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 10:15   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

We have three Citizen folding bikes. All were bought used for around $150 each. They are capable, comfortable, rugged and attractive bikes. They are 6 speed. Look on Craigslist.

Link: Portable & Folding Bikes

Certainly there are more expensive, deluxe folding bikes out there. But, these are just right for their intended purpose. Good luck
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 10:34   #20

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded reckoner View Post
We have used Zizzo pedal bikes for more than one year and put innumerable miles on them. The only maintenance I've ever had to do was oil the chains and put air in the tires. Periodically, they go on sale. I think their price now is a little over $300. The bikes fold up and it into what's called a dust cover (actually a bag with a handle). The Zizzo website has a list of accessories. We bought the rake in the back. On this rack, we fix a Big Ant folding crate. The crate helps you carry heavy loads (e.g. a gallon of milk, oil, etc.). We would buy new Zizzo bikes in a minute if something were to happen to the ones we have. One thing to consider is if you would like a lighter folding bike. But, you will pay much more for a bike with this feature.
=========================================

bought my Liberte as refurbished

came in original packing box
my choice based on weight 23 lbs and all aluminum.
I use it as a normal bike for my daily exercise ii neighborhood

now available at and usually dont last long at that price
I believe shipping was included

https://zizzo.bike/collections/refurbished
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 10:47   #21

Boat: Catalina 425

Brompton if price doesn’t matter otherwise Dahon.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 11:05   #22

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

We had Brompton for the last 22 years, beginning to show their age in that they need to have gears, brakes and cables replaced...parts are expensive and hard to find for Bromptons but otherwise they are very durable and fold to a very small package......I just bought a Carbo bike which has electric assist (getting on in years) but have not received it yet.....we'll see
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 14:26   #23

GoCycle Electric bikes are being bought by quite a few cruisers here in Auckland. Expensive but very useful for those of us who do not like going up hills. https://gocycle.com/models/gocycle-gx-gxi/
TeWhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 16:24   #24

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Buy the cheapest used bike you can find on craigslist and just strap it to the lifeline. The salt air will ruin any bike in under a year and nobody steals a junker. Buy an expensive folding bike and you will waste time cleaning it, storing it and worrying about it being stolen. Spend $40 bucks and replace it every year. If not, get an electric scooter and you will be fine.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 20:56   #25

I have a Carbo X which is all carbon fiber and uses a belt instead of a chain. It weighs 12kg including the motor and battery. It has 20x2 tires which are fairly standard and easy to find. Since it is an ebike it can go up hills without needing any extra gears.
It was supposed to come with a bag for travel, but the company has had trouble designing it, so I have yet to see it. The battery is in the seat post, so it is fairly easy to unplug and take with you. It is probably more of an expense than many are looking for, but much easier on the knees than a regular bike.
Old 22-01-2021, 21:45   #26

Boat: Hylas 46

Members/Sailors.....thanks heaps for all your replies. Wow....from Whoa to Go regarding options, styles ect.

Yes, I can relate to the theft issue for sure, as I do my outboard which is actually pretty new and of course shinny. At the moment, regarding the outboard.... I'm looking for a used cowling so as to paint, maybe a hot pink camouflage color or the likes. Make it ugly and bright. I would imagine I will do the same with the bikes.

Thank you for all your replies and recommendations!!

Don & Gloria
Old 22-01-2021, 23:45   #27

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Oydssey 40.3

I plan to take my Brompton with me as well. Glad to hear others are also using them It’s a great bike - and you can use it as a shopping cart as well, with it folded, and only the handlebar raised, with a grocery bag attached to the front block.
Elcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 13:14   #28

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi

STRIDA, very light, folds a bit long but very narrow, all alum and ss, disk brakes, no grease, rubber belt, no chain. No corrosion, once you get used to it its very handy. Have had two for almost ten years, use a lot, no repairs. No good for mountain biking
Inanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 18:22   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post
Hello Members..... what (brand/model) would you recommend for a stowaway peddle bike for a cruising sailboat boat?

And if your a cruiser.....would you recommend a peddle bike for the boat?

Thanks
Don & Gloria
If you are interested in electric bikes, look at the Blix Vika +..
Hooksetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 06:37   #30

Boat: Tartan 42

+1 on the Dahon Mariner Folding Bike. Bought 2 at the beginning of last summer off of amazon (~$750 / each) for a cruise throughout New England. They are 7 speeds and rid them even through Acadia National Park. Make sure you get the bike bags for them. It makes it much easier to load/unload the dinghy.
drgtmartin is offline   Reply With Quote