Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2021, 07:44   #61

Boat: Hylas 46
Thumbs up Re: Best stowaway bikes for cruisers??

Thanks eveyone for your great input. We did pick up or rather searched out for a good used Zizzo Urbano. There is a guy on Youtube whom has both bikes, the Urbano and can't remember the other. He recommends the Urbano as it had wider tires and a few other options. Frames were the same. Urbano was more off road.

OK, the Urbano is fine for me..... it is slightly squirely due (to me) becuase of it's short wheel base vers a full size bike. Gloria, feels a tad insecure riding it. On the payment she is fine....trails and maybe where we will end up riding them....not so sure for her. Might add...she's pretty tuff!

Neighbors here in Moss Landing have a pair of Bromptons. They will bring them back this up coming weekend so we can try them out. I can see immidiately they have a longer wheel base....which would make them feel much more stable i.e. full size bike. I do like the idea that there is some electric's within the rear hub to run lights if need be. I'm thinking....like a motorcycle....run lights all the time!! Safety!

Best of luck for everyone!

Don & Gloria
Old 20-04-2021, 09:06   #62

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Re: Best stowaway bikes for cruisers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post
Neighbors here in Moss Landing have a pair of Bromptons. They will bring them back this up coming weekend so we can try them out. I can see immediately they have a longer wheel base....which would make them feel much more stable
I don't think it's the wheelbase, I think it's either the wheelsize, or the geometry of the front fork or both. My brompton has very light steering, and took a while to get used to. But now that I am used to it, the steering on my full sized bikes seem sluggish.

I think a consequence of the light steering is that if I'm not careful it can also develop a significant "speed-wobble" at high speeds (60km/h+), so be careful on steep downhills.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:26   #63

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I purchased a Zizzo back in October and found the shorter wheel base felt awkward at first, but after a few dozen miles of use it felt normal. Approaching 2,000 miles with no serious issues. Love having the rear rack. I have a trunk bag with fold out panniers that works great for groceries, and the bike still folds with the trunk bag on, though for cruising I’d probably prefer a pannier that can be worn as a day pack. I’ve also seen dry bag panniers.

I regularly do 12 mile rides and have done 25+ with no problem. A seat spring was another nice addition for longer rides however.

I hope they work well for you. Happy cruising.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 19:20   #64

Boat: C-Dory 22 and actively sailing Other Peoples' Boats

Picked up a refurbished Liberte and was very impressed. Ordered a second one last week. Lightweight. Seems well made. Rides well. Price is right.
The Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:55   #65

Boat: Rival 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I think a consequence of the light steering is that if I'm not careful it can also develop a significant "speed-wobble" at high speeds (60km/h+), so be careful on steep downhills.

I’ve ridden Brompton for more than 20 years and I’m not sure I would fancy going at more than 60km/h downhill. Very exciting!!
Sailingmartin is offline   Reply With Quote