Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 15:14   #31
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Bicycles

Yes, a derailleur is an exposed item. But with the wheel removed it is even more exposed, literally sticking out fetom the rear of the bike.

On my folding bike I have an internal 3-speed hub. That might not seem like it is enough but in a typical 8 or 9-speed derailleur system I have the same spread between my high gear and low gear as they do. I'm simply missing some of the fine steps in between. To really get a wide spread on a derailleur-type bike one needs a front derailleur too. The front chainrings get the big spread and the rear is more fine-grained. Most folding bikes avoid a front derailleur as the folding mechanism makes it really difficult to implement.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 15:38   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
folding Schwinn Day Tripper cargo wagon.

The wagon makes carrying a ton of groceries and two cases of beer easy.
Great idea, I'm looking for something like that to......

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 15:53   #33

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Great idea, I'm looking for something like that to....
It works extremely well. Once the wheels are removed, it folds down nicely.

Quote:
I prefer a full size Mountain Bike and couldn't pass on the Paratrooper
I really wanted to get one of those........ For the price, maybe later.

For anyone interested, there is a reason it's called the Paratrooper. A very interesting reason.........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 15:55   #34

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Folding bikes big or small are not expensive and is better to buy than rent (in remote locations there is no renting )
I wish I had a bike almost every day but I had to choose between bike or my girlfriend's staff and since she is a good crew I got no bike .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 18:02   #35

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
but I had to choose between bike or my girlfriend's staff and since she is a good crew I got no bike .
You, sir, need better negotiating skills.

You can do it.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 20:06   #36

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
You, sir, need better negotiating skills.

You can do it.
Haha not.much to negotiate in 26 feet
Once we.mkbe to bigger boat will add 2 bikes
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 07:19   #37

So I take it that my plan to use either 2 e-bikes or an e-bike and a Solex motor scooter on a 45-50' Leopard cat is no good due to the size and required storage? I figured they would fit in the front of a large enough (11-12') RIB. I can't imagine being in the Carrib and totally relying local transportation from the dingy dock or beach. Would I be better off with just a set of folding bikes?
stevenstoll001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 07:27   #38

Boat: Home made 15 foot sailing dinghy used for coastal and cross channel cruising

A freind of ours sails a 14 foot LOA 'Paradox' fully decked sailing boat and amazingly he carries a Brompton bike in it, stowed right up in the bow. We sometimes do weekend coastal sailing with him, with us sailing our 15 foot open boat that has a tent cover attached to the boom overnight. On two occasions that bike has proved useful, both times when we sailed a few miles along the coast on a Saturday then a gale blew up for Sunday so he was able to cycle back to our start point, collect his car and boat trailer, then take us back to collect our car and boat trailer.
dinghysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 07:27   #39

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

My land bike has Gates Belt Drive and Tannus solid tires and it's virtually maintenance free; I love being able to do no more than check the function of the brakes before riding and never worry about flats. I've found no difference in the ride quality v. pneumatic tires.

We carry a couple of folding bikes and find them very useful, but keeping them ready to go is a problem, so I'm planning to replace them with Gates Carbon Belt Drive bikes with solid tires. The only relatively cheap option I've found is the Citizen Rome, an alloy frame 20-pound bike with belt drive and airless tires for about five hundred bucks. It's single speed, but folding bikes with internal hubs are significantly more expensive. I did find one with an 8-speed internal hub on sale for about $750.00; I'd have to add the airless tires.

I suppose the value of boat bikes is dependent on where you sail and how much storage space you have, but for us, biking into town is both a pleasure and a practical advantage, although we do use Uber or Lyft when we have something bulky to return to the boat.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:01   #40
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I am in complete agreement with the Great Sheldon Brown (Patron Saint of all bicycle mechanics) when it comes to the subject of airless tires. If you like the Tannus system that is great for you. IMHO, Ugh ...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#airless
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:08   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have two URB-E scooters, very expensive things and work well, 25 mile range and 15 mph I think.
However the Wife doesn’t like it, I think she feels like she looks silly on the the thing, and they are a little squirreley so they are now in storage. The are harder to ride than a bike, takes a little more attention.
We bought two Dahon Mariner’s in Jax and two really good bags on Amazon for them. We use them occasionally, by the time you put them into the dinghy and off etc, then back in and back in the bags and stow them, it’s pretty much just easier to walk.
However if there are roads and you want to cover some distance, a bike will cover vast distances compared to walking.

If you go the folding bike route, be sure to get good, thick padded bags for them, it saves both the bike and the boat from damage.

Were your bikes 20"? Do you recall what bags you got?
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:34   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Do you carry one? Folding or not?

I've seen posts from people who say they're wasted space because they can be borrowed, rented, or bought locally. And I've seen posts from people who say leaving theirs at home was their biggest mistake.
Check out cyclamatic cx2 foldable electric bike $549.99
Or the Prodico foldable
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 09:50   #43

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I am in complete agreement with the Great Sheldon Brown (Patron Saint of all bicycle mechanics) when it comes to the subject of airless tires. If you like the Tannus system that is great for you. IMHO, Ugh ...

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#airless
My bike expert can beat up your bike expert!

Seriously, perhaps you should read some reviews; the Tannus tires have been great on my bike; no flats ever, no carrying tubes and air pumps.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 10:32   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Do you carry one? Folding or not?

I've seen posts from people who say they're wasted space because they can be borrowed, rented, or bought locally. .
'

Have a folding Swagtron EB5 electric assist bike. Does around 15mi at around 12 mph on a charge. You can pedal, but it takes more work to do say than a regular bike.

Folds pretty small. Can't change the battery. Have had some quality issues to date. Charging port disappeared inside the inaccessible metal frame. Wiring had intermittent connectivity.

When shipped back to the mfr, returned with a bent sprocket that required expense and hassle of sending back again. @^@%^@$%^^!

The small tires are rather smooth and there seem to be no knobbies available as replacements. Riding on island sandy or muddy roads is a bit of a challenge.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 10:37   #45

Boat: Amel 50

I am getting two Tern Link D7i bicycles.

From the Tern website:

The Link D7i is perfect for getting around in the city, hauling gear, and riding day-in-day-out. Because it’s built around a durable low seven-speed Nexus internal hub, it’s ideal for carrying onto buses or riding in the rain. Rear rack and integrated lighting with electricity-generating hub are included.

7-speed internal geared Shimano hub for versatility and low maintenance
Andros™ handlebar stem for tool-free riding position adjustments on the fly
FreeDrive™ chain cover protects your clothes from grease and dirt
Bomb-proof wheels built with Sapim spokes
Schwalbe Big Apple tires with Kevlar puncture protection
Fenders for rainy days
Folds compactly in 10 seconds for storage and transport
Rear rack and integrated lighting included

I am also getting two RockBros Folding Bike Carry Bag 16 inch to 20 inch.

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote