Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 02:00   #91

Boat: Vagabond 1980 42
Re: Boat Names...point of view

Years ago their was a big cruiser in Pensacola named ( Figure Heads Three).
Its owned by 3 attorneys. I had a 69 Seacraft named Night Shift. I worked days and mainly fished in the evenings. When I went out most were on their way back. Well it was time for the night shift...lol It fit....
outrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 07:10   #92

Boat: AMF Force 5 -- 14ft long

My last sail boat was a 26 foot sloop named Calm Down. I was always yelling at my ex-wife to calm down any time we took her out in it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jason902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 07:21   #93

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Just saw a sailboat named Bibbity Bobbity Boat.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 07:30   #94

Three equity members (referred to as flag members) of a yacht club bought a boat together and named it Three Flags. Try saying that fast a few times.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 04:07   #95

Boat: Passport 40

I have a friend, a early thirty something single male, that just named his boat "The Panty Dropper"

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 19:10   #96

Boat: mac gregor, venture 22

I was thinking of naming my venture22 Miss Betti. That way if she goes all I have to do is add an "I" at the beginning.
jackclayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 19:17   #97

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

My BF and I have discussed marriage, but I am not being type of woman so we have also discussed calling our next boat "Her Diamond"

If you are in Colorado you might also appreciate "he didn't go to Jared". But it would not be universally appreciated
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 20:02   #98
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Latin alphabet...I wonder how the lawyers define that? In modern Engish we've already lost several letters (eth and thorn) that were once part of our ancestral "Latin"?) alphabetic. And of course, "J" was one of the newcomers and not never latin at all, was it?

As I said to the nice lady at Motor Vehicles, "I'm sorry, but I'm going to need translator" 'Huh?' "Yes, those numbers are all in Arab, and I was taught to read Roman and French in school."

For a moment, it looked very much like she was going to panic.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 01:05   #99

Boat: Southcoast 36

We reverted back to our boats original name when we bought her and found a pic with the name - "Prophecy." I call our dinghy "The Seer."

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 01:18   #100
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
INHERCOURSE was the best I have seen
And I would rate it one of the worst.

Paul J. Nolan
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 02:48   #101
cruiser

Sent the last
Quote:
Originally Posted by svhydra View Post
hello; my first sail boat was a 7m. luger which i named BLOW ME.
Generally I feel obligated to read the entire thread before commenting but two pages of this was more than I could bear. No doubt Mr. Hydra thinks himself clever, but I find him both dull and vulgar. How coarse we have become over my 68 years, and boat names is just one of the many places coarseness shows its ugly face. "Popular" music is another. There is a lot of rap music in my neighborhood and it's "******" this, "******" that, "******, ******, ******" all day long. And yet there are those who take seriously University of Missouri black students' claim that they are traumatized hearing this word from white lips. And just when, I wonder, did '****' become socially acceptable for use in general conversation? Profanity, vulgarity, and coarseness were once the signs of a gutter dweller, but apparently no longer.

Getting back to boat names, one has only to compare race results from fifty or seventy five years ago to those of today to see how far we have fallen. Legendary names like Finisterre, Running Tide, and Windward Passage have given way to Blow Me and its ilk. Years ago there was an R boat in Chicago named Ardelle; I have always thought that a very beautiful name for a woman or a boat.

But there is room for creativity or humor. This seems to work well on race boats. The most beautiful Lightning I've ever seen (and I've seen a thousand of them) had an International orange hull and deck with the nonskid painted fly yellow. Of course it was Shazam!, owned by Fisk Hayden, one of the two best sailors in the Central New York district. The name perfectly fit her appearance and her performance on the race course under Fisk's command. And there is an Olson 30 here in Seattle named Aliens Ate My Buick which even after 20 years still brings a smile to my face whenever I come across it in the race results. (Oddly, Aliens Ate My Car is not funny while Aliens Ate My Buick is very funny).

On naming your boat, please avoid puns, double entendres, or any allusions to anything remotely sexual. Naming her after your wife or daughter is usually a safe bet. My great grandfather named his yawl Winnifred after his only daughter, my grandmother. My great uncle who along with my father raced Starboat #45 when she was still fairly new and competitive (although the gaff rig had been discarded) named her Polaris, a good name for a Star, I think. And immeasurably better than Blow Me.

Paul J. Nolan
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 03:40   #102

In the state of Maine (and maybe other places), it has always been considered "good luck" for lobster boats -- and all vessels -- to be named after a woman. For example: Laura B, Elizabeth Anne, etc. Thus, growing up there, Im always baffled by non female named boats. like "Cheeki Rafiki".
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 04:22   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackclayton View Post
I was thinking of naming my venture22 Miss Betti. That way if she goes all I have to do is add an "I" at the beginning.
Love it Jack...

Welcome to CF!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 04:26   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Spectacular post Paul !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Sent the last

Generally I feel obligated to read the entire thread before commenting but two pages of this was more than I could bear. No doubt Mr. Hydra thinks himself clever, but I find him both dull and vulgar. How coarse we have become over my 68 years, and boat names is just one of the many places coarseness shows its ugly face. "Popular" music is another. There is a lot of rap music in my neighborhood and it's "******" this, "******" that, "******, ******, ******" all day long. And yet there are those who take seriously University of Missouri black students' claim that they are traumatized hearing this word from white lips. And just when, I wonder, did '****' become socially acceptable for use in general conversation? Profanity, vulgarity, and coarseness were once the signs of a gutter dweller, but apparently no longer.

Getting back to boat names, one has only to compare race results from fifty or seventy five years ago to those of today to see how far we have fallen. Legendary names like Finisterre, Running Tide, and Windward Passage have given way to Blow Me and its ilk. Years ago there was an R boat in Chicago named Ardelle; I have always thought that a very beautiful name for a woman or a boat.

But there is room for creativity or humor. This seems to work well on race boats. The most beautiful Lightning I've ever seen (and I've seen a thousand of them) had an International orange hull and deck with the nonskid painted fly yellow. Of course it was Shazam!, owned by Fisk Hayden, one of the two best sailors in the Central New York district. The name perfectly fit her appearance and her performance on the race course under Fisk's command. And there is an Olson 30 here in Seattle named Aliens Ate My Buick which even after 20 years still brings a smile to my face whenever I come across it in the race results. (Oddly, Aliens Ate My Car is not funny while Aliens Ate My Buick is very funny).

On naming your boat, please avoid puns, double entendres, or any allusions to anything remotely sexual. Naming her after your wife or daughter is usually a safe bet. My great grandfather named his yawl Winnifred after his only daughter, my grandmother. My great uncle who along with my father raced Starboat #45 when she was still fairly new and competitive (although the gaff rig had been discarded) named her Polaris, a good name for a Star, I think. And immeasurably better than Blow Me.

Paul J. Nolan

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 11:25   #105

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

This pair made me smile every time I walked past them this fall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2146_edited-1.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	136546  
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat names