Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2016, 11:42   #106

Boat: Shopping
Re: Boat Names...point of view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Sent the last

Generally I feel obligated to read the entire thread before commenting but two pages of this was more than I could bear. No doubt Mr. Hydra thinks himself clever, but I find him both dull and vulgar. How coarse we have become over my 68 years, and boat names is just one of the many places coarseness shows its ugly face. "Popular" music is another. There is a lot of rap music in my neighborhood and it's "******" this, "******" that, "******, ******, ******" all day long. And yet there are those who take seriously University of Missouri black students' claim that they are traumatized hearing this word from white lips. And just when, I wonder, did '****' become socially acceptable for use in general conversation? Profanity, vulgarity, and coarseness were once the signs of a gutter dweller, but apparently no longer.

Getting back to boat names, one has only to compare race results from fifty or seventy five years ago to those of today to see how far we have fallen. Legendary names like Finisterre, Running Tide, and Windward Passage have given way to Blow Me and its ilk. Years ago there was an R boat in Chicago named Ardelle; I have always thought that a very beautiful name for a woman or a boat.

But there is room for creativity or humor. This seems to work well on race boats. The most beautiful Lightning I've ever seen (and I've seen a thousand of them) had an International orange hull and deck with the nonskid painted fly yellow. Of course it was Shazam!, owned by Fisk Hayden, one of the two best sailors in the Central New York district. The name perfectly fit her appearance and her performance on the race course under Fisk's command. And there is an Olson 30 here in Seattle named Aliens Ate My Buick which even after 20 years still brings a smile to my face whenever I come across it in the race results. (Oddly, Aliens Ate My Car is not funny while Aliens Ate My Buick is very funny).

On naming your boat, please avoid puns, double entendres, or any allusions to anything remotely sexual. Naming her after your wife or daughter is usually a safe bet. My great grandfather named his yawl Winnifred after his only daughter, my grandmother. My great uncle who along with my father raced Starboat #45 when she was still fairly new and competitive (although the gaff rig had been discarded) named her Polaris, a good name for a Star, I think. And immeasurably better than Blow Me.

Paul J. Nolan
Yup. Fratboy wannabes.

But on naming boats after women, some take offense, nowadays.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 12:30   #107

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I had a Hunter Legend 35.5 I called "Misery".

I wanted to call it "Miserly", but the stick on letters were $2 each....and I had to do both sides AND the transom!
Old 20-11-2016, 14:24   #108

Quote: "I'm surprised I've never seen a a catamaran named "wet pussy""

Can't beat that, but I did know a stinkpotter who sported a converted crab-boat. And called 'er "Blue Ointment"

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 14:33   #109

Boat: Camano Troll

I knew a couple who named their boat "Does it Matter?" Well, that's great example of a stupid boat name. Bridge tender: What is the name of your vessel?" Boater: "Does it Matter?"

Think about where that is going and think about having to repeat and explain it at every bridge, lock and marina.

Naming a boat after a daughter or granddaughter is fine, they will always be your daughter or granddaughter. Naming your boat after your wife has its risks.
Old 20-11-2016, 15:25   #110

Boat: Beneteau, First 45F5

I remember a yacht called "Ok Tedi". Named after a gold mine in Papua New Guinea as the owner said it took a gold mine to run her
Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 21:07   #111

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

"Vegemite on Toast"

"Miss B Haven"

"Anwagomi" (First two letters of Andrea, Wayne, Gordon & Miriam, the boat's family), and the dinghy, "Origami", a Fold Boat.
Old 20-11-2016, 21:17   #112

And a stinkpot owned by a copper: "Crime Pays".

I was never too sure in what way, since the copper in question shouldn't have been able to keep a "ya-chet" like that on a flatfoot's pay :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat names