Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 10:10   #1

Boat: Club Sailor; various
BVI vs. Hawaiian Islands?

Sailboat charters in BVI seem to get a lot of interest and publicity. Hawaii not so much. Why is that?
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:20   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: BVI vs. Hawaiian Islands?

Not many sailing destinations in Hawaii. Few marinas, few anchorages, few facilities, and sailing between islands can be rough. I've cruised the islands from Maui to Kauaii and enjoyed it, but it's not the same as the BVI.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:10   #3

Paul saying "it can be rough" is a bit of an understatement . If all of your crew are hard core sailors willing to beat their brains out, then Hawaii is great. If you are not a serious sailor, and you want to enjoy your vacation, and have the rest of the crew enjoy it, then go to the BVI. It may be crowded, but the BVIs are some of the easiest and nicest sailing in the world. A great place for a first charter. Good Luck. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 11:41   #4

Boat: Tartan 3700

I did a week in Hawaii (Oahu, Molokai, Lanai, Maui, Molokai, and back to Oahu) and having all my prior sailing experience in Puget Sound, it was definitely an eye-opener as far as sailing conditions. The first day we crossed the Kaiwi channel to Molokai in 10 foot swells and 30kts and took a good beating (for most of the rest of the week as well). We all loved it but if anyone on board had just been looking for a leisurely cruise, they probably would have been terrified. That said, it was probably the best week of sailing I've had in my life and easily the coolest way to see the islands.

There really aren't many charter companies there, I'm guessing because of the conditions and insurance, etc, so besides there being few marinas, anchorages, etc, it can be difficult to find a boat.
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 12:22   #5

Boat: Farrier f27
I've had a great time sailing and living aboard in Hi but it is a completely different experience from BVI.
Hi sailing in the lees is kicked back and relaxing and in the channels in a span of as little as 50yds it can be blowing a gale. The advantage is if you want, you can take the boat out in the rough stuff, turn around and get out of it when you're tired of it. In the winter the protected anchorages become unprotected during storms and they can blow.
BVI is sail for a couple of hrs, drop the hook have lunch then sail on to your night time anchorage. It's like sailing on a lake, really nice with a different island every night.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii