Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2017, 10:25   #16

Re: Can a Hookah system fill a dive tank?

Sorry, NOT a Typing error.
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 10:37   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievardon View Post
I hope some young kid doesn't believe that.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 10:39   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I hope some young kid doesn't believe that.

Commercial diver prefaced the depth. Mixed gas with decompression sends squishy pink humans to substantial depths.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 10:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Commercial diver prefaced the depth. Mixed gas with decompression sends squishy pink humans to substantial depths.
It isn't the gas, which would be a consideration, it would be the pressure. Did you steal a submarine? I'm sorry 800 ft. sounds crazy. I'm guessing 375 psi. As I recall one atmosphere/ 32 feet.
Old 25-05-2017, 11:13   #20

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

While on travel to dive I've been forced to buddy up with complete strangers with Padi tickets So many are dangerous because they 'earned' their ticket at a quickie dive shop. Padi lost my vote long ago with this whacko approach for a few tourist dollars. Snorkelling alone is more satisfying/safe. Ran a crew boat for CanDive on drill rigs in the Arctic. they were sat diving to 600 ft to work the drill head.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 11:20   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
It isn't the gas, which would be a consideration, it would be the pressure. Did you steal a submarine? I'm sorry 800 ft. sounds crazy. I'm guessing 375 psi. As I recall one atmosphere/ 32 feet.
Divers have gone below 1000 feet. Google it. I did.
Old 25-05-2017, 11:37   #22

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

CanDive developed the Newtsuit which changed everything .Back when, we pumped down high pressure gases and hot water to heat the wet suit.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 12:37   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

http://www.skin-diver.com/department....asp?theID=150

Full saturation diving has been conducted to depths of nearly 2,000 feet. One classic saturation dive for a crew of eight divers was to 600 feet for 30 days. Several additional days were required for decompression. There is some indication that humans diving to depths greater than 2,000 feet may be subjected to tissue damage, besides the real potential for bends and other physiological problems.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 12:48   #24

Boat: Montevideo 43'

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbievardon View Post
He is correct. I have also done the commercial diving thing for too many years to remember. Most of the saturation systems that we have used can handle about 300m.
Downline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 12:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Divers have gone below 1000 feet. Google it. I did.
I will take your word for it. I'll bet you had chambers of some sort for prolonged decompression stops on the way up? My concern is someone, "kids" getting the idea they can dive deeper and longer than makes sense for recreational diving.
Old 25-05-2017, 13:00   #26

Boat: Leopard 39

Short answer, No. As there seems to be a lot of interest on this forum about Hookah rigs I offer these observations. They can be very useful in certain dive situations, especially boat maintenance and inspection below the waterline. However they carry the same risks and need for proper training as SCUBA diving. Please do not equate shallow water with absence of serious health risk when using compressed air from any source. Personally I don't understand how any experienced cruiser would be without SCUBA certification. There is no better way to thoroughly inspect your vessel and if you have a leak or equipment failure below the waterline SCUBA can be a real life saver. Re: hookah vs. SCUBA. Dive tanks come in a wide variety of sizes, as little as 20 cu ft which is about the size of the oxygen tanks you see strapped to some wheelchairs. These are easily stowable and will allow for up to 30 minutes submersion in shallow water. You don't have to wear all the dive paraphenalia just to scrub your boat bottom. A weight belt, a simple back pack (you can make your own) and a regulator with pressure gauge and you're ready to go. No hose to get tangled in, no float to pull around on the surface, no dragging around a shore power line or heavy battery. If you're concerned about being away from a dive shop for refills, then get a 38cf tank or a 50cf. Plenty of air for shallow water inspection and maintenance. Not to mention retrieving valuable items your guests drop overboard. Ultimately it's personal preference but if your objection to SCUBA is the required gear or the space it takes up there are many ways around those challenges. Hope this helps.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 13:09   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Can a Hookah system fill a dive tank?

I'm trimix and my personal limit is or was 100 meters. Not so sure with my age etc. that would be safe for me anymore.
However SCUBA and a Hooka are not exclusive to each other. I have just bought a Bauer Junior II compressor off of a member here for when we are in places with no dive shop and plan on taking a couple of steel HP 80's for the wife and a couple of HP 100's for me to dive with. No tech diving anymore, just warm, shallow water, look at the pretty fish and or get lunch kind of diving for us.
However I have and will continue to use my Hooka to clean the bottom, change zincs, clean prop etc.
To me it makes more sense to use the Hooka for those chores, but a Hooka just can't replace SCUBA for just regular diving, they complement each other, not replace
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 13:26   #28

There is quite a good youtube video at https:/www
robbievardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 13:34   #29

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
I will take your word for it. I'll bet you had chambers of some sort for prolonged decompression stops on the way up? My concern is someone, "kids" getting the idea they can dive deeper and longer than makes sense for recreational diving.
I'm with Cadence on this one. I bet at 1,000 feet your head looks like one of those VooDoo shrunken heads you used to win at the State Fair oh so many years ago.

It may be true but I would hate for some hotheaded kid to utter the classic "Hey guys, watch this!" and then try to do it on his/her own.
Old 25-05-2017, 13:50   #30

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
I didn't mean I did the dive. I just did the googling. I am not about to go deeper than I need to go to get a task done and certainly not down into "technical" or "deep" depths. The record scuba dive was to I think 1080 something feet, 15 hours for a normal decompressing ascent but no chamber. Like I said, give it a google.

A few minutes research will tell any idiot that exceeding established limits is a potentially (or probably) fatal mistake. Its like skydiving. Felix Baumgartner jumped from 128,000 feet. That doesn't make it a good idea, not does it make jumping from 10,000 feet necessarily a really bad idea.

If you ask me, NO recreational diving makes sense. I only do it when I have a good reason. Who cares about looking at a bunch of stupid fish in the water? I want to see them on my plate, not swimming around like they own the ocean or something. But the vast majority will disagree with me of course. And if they follow standard procedures, it is fairly safe.

BTW, Herbert Nitsch went down to 702 feet deep. Free diving, not scuba. Kids, don't try that at home, either! I have to assume that was with no decompression stops on the way up.