Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2012, 08:06   #31

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Craigslist Scams

Hah.. Welcome to the international scam club. I got a text message that was almost verbatim to your first message. I was selling my boat in Aus through a different website and they still sent me a text with the same Oil Rig Crap. It was obvious that it was fake- lets face it, who buys a boat without inspecting? The annoying part was that they had my number. Though the texts stop coming once i put the price up
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 11:54   #32

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I can't see wasting my time replying to scammers. Report the scammers to craigslist.

sometime you have to have a little computer fun with the scammers.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 12:58   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I understand these are cons, and I have gotten them. They are pretty easy to spot. What I do not get is how giving a pap pal account number (most people use an email account as their pay pal account number, so the con already has it) does anything? What the con needs is the password to the pay pal account. If someone would explain this to me, I would appreciate it.

Hackers have programs that sniff out passwords. The blinding speed of new computers make such things far more possible.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 16:14   #34

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

So, to be clear. The paypal thing is through a message that comes back to me which is a forgery of a paypal message telling me there is some trouble with my account and that I need to send them more personal information like visa and checking account numbers, etc., etc.. And, eBay messages which are forgeries that ask for more personal information such as account numbers?

I've bought and sold lots of stuff on eBay and used Paypal for years and not had a problem. It must just be for big ticket items?

Anyway I'd like to buy your boat and I'm sending you a forged cashier's check for $20K more than you're asking. If you don't mind sending me back $15K as soon as you receive and deposit the check I'll have my moving van pick up your boat and deliver it to Kansas. Or, could we save a little money and have it moved in my cousin's Toyota pickup?

kind regards,
Old 04-08-2012, 10:06   #35

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Yes to be clear most of these that use eBay and Paypal involve emails that are clever forgeries. Those uninitiated or new to eBay and Paypal can get scammed anyone familiar with them usually just deletes the emails.
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:06   #36

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

Funny site about scamming the scammers.

419 BAITER | Scambaiting: Stringing-along 419 Scammers for my Amusement
Old 12-08-2014, 12:00   #37

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Jcapo,

I just spent over an hour reading the 419 Baiter's stuff. Wow, that guy goes to great lengths to reel in these folks. Totally hilarious.

Thanks, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 13:27   #38
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Also read the 419 blog, good stuff.

Got a scam thing on email about 4 years ago and played along for a while.
Got the scammers to express mail me a check as well as a pre-paid express mail envelope. Then contacted the police who said the contact The Secret Service in Miami.
The SS said it was not much they could do and just forget about it..
Old 12-08-2014, 13:31   #39

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Also read the 419 blog, good stuff.

Got a scam thing on email about 4 years ago and played along for a while.
Got the scammers to express mail me a check as well as a pre-paid express mail envelope. Then contacted the police who said the contact The Secret Service in Miami.
The SS said it was not much they could do and just forget about it..
My husband once received an unsolicited check in the mail. The organization it was supposedly from was half way across the country from the cancellation stamp. We took it to the bank and explained the situation. It was definitely a fraudulent check, we have no idea if there was follow up.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 01:22   #40

We are currently selling our house, and a scammer had set it up to rent on Craigslist. "Current tenants are in the process of eviction, do not contact them as they are hostile."
Yes, current tenants are hostile! They are also the owners who do not like people showing up to move into their "rental". Weeks after the ad was taken down, I still deal with people driving up to the house to inquire about the rental. With no punishment, only the possibility of reward, the attempts are getting bolder.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ak2outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2014, 20:08   #41

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

FYI... Google glass can be used to read what you are typing with almost crystal clarity from more than 15 feet away. So, PIN numbers, iPhone and computer passwords, emails, are all open for capture.

Beware.

zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 22:27   #42

Boat: Sadler 25

This is all very well and good, but look at it from the other side. We got totally messed up by a company when we wanted to buy some binocs. We don't have credit/debit cards and had to pay with a certified cashiers cheque in $ from an international bank. The company agreed to accept the payment, but didn't tell us they would hold the cheque for three weeks till it cleared, then send us the goods. They told us this once they had had the cheque for 5 days. They didn't hold the goods until the cheque cleared, so when the cheque did clear they couldn't supply the goods, so offered us replacement goods for 10$ more, which we couldn't pay as we would have had to send another cheque and go through all this again.

We were leaving the marina to head 600 miles away within that period of time, so we asked that they either send the goods or return the money to my sister's address in the UK as we were traveling and wouldn't be able to receive them. They refused to do this, but luckily for me a friend ended up in the marina and said they would collect the cheque. It never arrived so, two months later after much hassle and at least 50 emails, they agreed to do a bank transfer to my sisters account. They charged us 30$ for cancelling a cheque they never sent, and 50$ for the bank transfer.

Sorry didn't say we don't have a bank account either.
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 23:28   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciarob View Post

<snip> We don't have credit/debit cards and had to pay with a certified cashiers cheque in $ from an international bank. <snip>

Sorry didn't say we don't have a bank account either.
1890 called. They want to know when you are coming back...

Not to be flip but living off the grid with no credit card and no bank account, what would you propose merchants do?

Send you the goods on good faith?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:40   #44

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I would have insisted that they send the more expensive goods at no additional cost, since it was their error.

Old 30-08-2014, 17:53   #45

Boat: Sadler 25

I think you misunderstood Ex-Calif, we paid with a certified banker's cheque which we paid cash for this end. The merchant agreed to accept the payment and didn't inform us that although the cheque would be cleared within five days they would hold it for an additional three weeks. So, no I don't expect the merchant to send the goods for free, but nor do I expect the same merchant to rip me off.
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote