Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2012, 20:21   #31
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Entertainment

We have a small sharp flatscreen in the V berth that is on Roku. That pulls netflix. The laptops provide surfing and occasionally movies. All on 110 and only good with shore power.

We are installing a kenwood car stereo and speakers that will be 12 volt and can be hooked to the terrabyte stand alone hard drive or Himself's smartphone.

A pack of cards and a cribbage board.

Lots of reading material. Trying to move to readers to avoid the clutter, but that has been a slow transition. Lots of what we read is not avaliable in e-format.

I do knot work and knitting. We sit out in the cockpit a great deal of the time and just pass the time.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 20:25   #32

Boat: John Pugh Windsong sloop 38ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM View Post
Here's a photo of him at Santa Cruz Island this summer with the Carcassonne set.
We LOVE Carcassonne! What a great game - it gets more and more interesting and strategic the better you get at it. We're on our third expansion pack! Highly recommended if you love board games.
Old 15-10-2012, 20:30   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Entertainment

I watch people anchoring... or trying to start their dinghy after casting of from the stern on windy days... great stuff.
Music, Movies come from my E-machines Notebook... as does my CP courtesy of OpenCPN....
Power supply is my battery via a 90amp invertor with a cigar lighter plug... also charges tools and my coffee grinder...
Don'tcha just luv technology...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 20:43   #34

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Boatman,Thanks for reminding us about the Drag Races at the local anchorages !! They are some of our favorite things to watch at the end of the day !!! (and of course the naiked swimming in the southern Cali area !!) How ya doing down below ?? Everythings good we hope !!
Old 15-10-2012, 20:49   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Boatman,Thanks for reminding us about the Drag Races at the local anchorages !! They are some of our favorite things to watch at the end of the day !!! (and of course the naiked swimming in the southern Cali area !!) How ya doing down below ?? Everythings good we hope !!
Sitting waiting for the lawyer to come back to me with the results from the letter of demand... don't know if the 'Within 48hrs' is working days or literal...
Went down to Rous Head yesterday and either the boats in one of the big sheds with masts down... or they spent the weekend moving her elsewhere after getting the lawyers letter on friday...
They can run... but they can't hide...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 10:57   #36

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
we have 2 poles in the saloon,rum punch,a months music on the hard drive and party girls..............
and you wonder why people anchor right next to your boat?
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 11:28   #37

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We have three laptops, two dedicated for work and one for personal use.

We have an Alpine stereo that we connect our I-Pod or MP3 players to for music and stereo sound from the 24" flat screen TV. The stereo is connected to 4 component level speakers and tweeters down below and two tube speakers in the cockpit.

We have a media player that we use for playing movies and tv shows from our hard drives.

We also each have Nooks plus paper books for reading.

These are enjoyable things for us, but the best times are watching life around us from the cockpit with great friends for company.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 13:44   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

We have music, books, board games, each other, and BEER!

but will have TV and video when we head out into the big wild
Old 16-10-2012, 13:54   #39

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Talk to me about these. I have a feeling I'll look over at the ampmeter and cry.
We have a Insigna 32" LCD with built in DVD player. We also have a WD Media Player with a internal 1 TB hard drive and USB port for external hard drives.

Many cruisers down here trade digital movies and TV Shows via portable hard drives. In the States you can also purchsae digital movies on line.

The TV/Medi Player run off a 400 watt inverter that draws about 9 AH with both units running.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 14:18   #40

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

The two times we were out for a month we only played the radio once. The third time I could not bring anything on AM except static so the wife could not listen to the Seminoles game. Not happy she!

She used a laptop and Verizon dongle to watch some TV.

Mostly it is the Kindle for both of us.

Just got a thumb drive from a fellow I met with Kindle (.mobi) files......about 10,000 of them. (6+ gigs)

I think I am set for life.
Old 16-10-2012, 15:11   #41

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

While out cruising I didn't have a TV until the last few years, and it rarely got used other than to watch an occasional movie. It does depend where one is: Croatia broadcasts lots of shows in English, Spanish, Russian, etc so that made a nice treat. These days, living aboard during a major refit back at home, a TV is great for the news and the few good shows available.

Many cruisers do share digital copies of movies, with portable hard drives and USB sticks (some pirates are loved by cruisers).

Most folks have given up on carrying their CD libraries around and store their music libraries on iPods and similar MP3 players. A quality car stereo with AUX or iPod input can easily fill the boat with music. Personally I am a fan of TEDtalks (free) when on watch - the 18 minute talks are an interesting way to stay awake on watch (I use a video iPod to watch them in the cockpit).

When buying a car stereo look for models that can be switched between US and European broadcast standards for best stereo reception everywhere. My new JVC does that, as well as having the iPod and AUX inputs. Edit: And available for about $200.

Other than the TEDtalks while on watch, and news on the radio or (rarely) TV, I don't use entertainment electronics much while cruising, but more during winters, etc. Exchanging books with other cruisers provides many hours of pleasure.

And yes, far too many hours are spent on the internet...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 16:30   #42

Boat: Lagoon 400 S-2 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34

Oh about 30 amps at 240V/1ph running. 50 amp breaker
Thanks sailorchick. How long have u been Sailing and where have u been too?
Erdnase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 17:05   #43

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

One of the really nice things about the Kindle is if ya have a internet connection, and a Liarary card, ya have all the reading you can ever want!! And all for free!! Ya just can't beat it !! Connie sure loves hers !! Tells me it's the best present I ever got her !!
Old 16-10-2012, 18:54   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

For personal use I still tout the iPad.

It does books, I subscribe to tv shows that download for later viewing (with no commercial interruptions), I can rent movies for viewing up to 30 days later, I have my music library and when internet is available I stream netflix.

For 3-4 people the iPad on a bracket plugged into the boat speakers is quite enough entertainment and everyone can view. We did Netlfix on the hook in Phuket with marina WiFi.

For a bit bigger boat a 12v display would be nice.

Even bigger boat adding the laptop, giga storage and integrating the system makes sense.

For personal use the iPad can be propped up on my lap anywhere.

The next day the iPad is my email, CF, facebook & internet banking tool before it starts doing navigation duties.

It's hard to beat the level of multi-purpose integration of the iPad. I don't travel without it.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 19:55   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdnase View Post
Thanks sailorchick. How long have u been Sailing and where have u been too?
Was messing around boats since oh 74-75. Though mostly smaller boats 14' - 16' back in Savannah.. I had a force 5 for a number of year. Fun little thing. On bigger boats I sailed the west coast of florida for a few year with a few times to the keys. Bouncing around SF bay and the cali delta for the last 5 years.

Today was a easy 12 mile day and unlike team ORACLE I did not pitch pole in the 25 knot winds. I was going downwind though :-) Glad the team was fine. Sort of expected the 72's might be a bit exciting with the bigger winds and chop at max ebb.

I am however working on my Spanish....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote