Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2012, 20:14   #46

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
we have 2 poles in the saloon,rum punch,a months music on the hard drive and party girls..............
Wow, I need to take lessons from you. My wife is shaking her finger at me...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 21:36   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Was messing around boats since oh 74-75. Though mostly smaller boats 14' - 16' back in Savannah.. I had a force 5 for a number of year. Fun little thing.
I love my brother's Force 5 - It's a blast to lake sail...

Here's a some pics in SFO a while back.

Photo 1 - My 12 y/o getting her on her ear - my brother can't watch...
Photo 2 - Asserting his "stand on" privilege
Photo 3 - Giving dad a ride approaching the dock - I am moving to the foredeck in anticipation of a cool step onto the dock with the painter
Photo 4 - The result when the sail tacked at the dock - LOL...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100095.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	48399   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100096.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	48400  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100113.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	48401   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100117.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	48402  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 22:31   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I sailed mine in the back river at Tybee island Ga (near Savannah) and off the beach on the ocean side. There was some wild rides. That little boat would fly with 15-20 knots of wind. Gusts were not my friend though. I'm not so crazy now... I think. There are days I miss the fun of the small boat. But I'm not so quick on my feet anymore either.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 00:44   #49

Boat: Lagoon 400 S-2 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34

Was messing around boats since oh 74-75. Though mostly smaller boats 14' - 16' back in Savannah.. I had a force 5 for a number of year. Fun little thing. On bigger boats I sailed the west coast of florida for a few year with a few times to the keys. Bouncing around SF bay and the cali delta for the last 5 years.

Today was a easy 12 mile day and unlike team ORACLE I did not pitch pole in the 25 knot winds. I was going downwind though :-) Glad the team was fine. Sort of expected the 72's might be a bit exciting with the bigger winds and chop at max ebb.

I am however working on my Spanish....
You seem pretty adapt at electronics and electrics. You're living on your own boat? I am planning to live aboard my own boat once it arrives.

When I do my circumnavigational trip I hope to handle my own boat and repair and manage my own maintainece
Erdnase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 08:56   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdnase View Post
You seem pretty adapt at electronics and electrics. You're living on your own boat? I am planning to live aboard my own boat once it arrives.

When I do my circumnavigational trip I hope to handle my own boat and repair and manage my own maintainece
Yes for the last 5 years I've owned my own boat. At the moment I'm singlehanding it back for another trip to the delta. Well waiting for the tide to change before lifting the hook. A bit late in the season and the rains are coming next week. But hey its sailing...

Before that I was on my former partners boat for 2-1/2 years.
Old 18-10-2012, 15:39   #51

Quote:

Yes for the last 5 years I've owned my own boat. At the moment I'm singlehanding it back for another trip to the delta. Well waiting for the tide to change before lifting the hook. A bit late in the season and the rains are coming next week. But hey its sailing...

Before that I was on my former partners boat for 2-1/2 years.
Hi sailorchick,

My boat a lagoon 400 s-2 arrives in June next year. It comes with gen set but I didnt get the solar panels as its too costly. Having a fridge and freezer on board. How much power do you suppose my batteries can last before each charge? I intend to run my generator 2 hours a day to charge the batteries which will then be used to power the fridge and other things like auto pilot.

Do you think it's sufficient? Or should I get three panels that will cost me 6000 euros?
Old 18-10-2012, 22:22   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

6000 euros for 3 solar panels. I am in the wrong business. Though I'm guessing the support system is 1500. Gee three 130-140 watt panels and a charge controller would be less then 800 euros ($1000 ish) Plus labor and a fancy stainless steel arch to mount them on and a whole lotta profit.

My original though was to use a generator for 2 hours a day. Worked ok, But noisy and always looking for fuel too. Solar is so much nicer, No noise or fumes and no fuel costs

I'm guessing your basic electric load will be 150-175 amps per day. 50 amps for fridge, 70 amps for freezer, 15+ amps for lighting, 10 amps PC/TV, plus a few odds and ends. That's a really rough guess. But most boats will be 80-100 amps/day with just a fridge ( one compressor).

So your looking at ballpark 45 amps per hour of panels. That's taking into account that the rated amps and the actual amps delivered will not be the same. I've measured it at about 70-75 % delivered compared to panel listing.

Using a generator, you'll want a battery charger rated at 100 amps to recover the load in two hours. Plus 400 amps of battery per day. This as you can only draw down 50% of the house bank. Me I would have 800 amps of house batteries. Then you have extra power for the windlass and microwave, etc.

OK I really really need to watch my thread drift a little....
Old 19-10-2012, 19:21   #53

Quote:
6000 euros for 3 solar panels. I am in the wrong business. Though I'm guessing the support system is 1500. Gee three 130-140 watt panels and a charge controller would be less then 800 euros ($1000 ish) Plus labor and a fancy stainless steel arch to mount them on and a whole lotta profit.

My original though was to use a generator for 2 hours a day. Worked ok, But noisy and always looking for fuel too. Solar is so much nicer, No noise or fumes and no fuel costs

I'm guessing your basic electric load will be 150-175 amps per day. 50 amps for fridge, 70 amps for freezer, 15+ amps for lighting, 10 amps PC/TV, plus a few odds and ends. That's a really rough guess. But most boats will be 80-100 amps/day with just a fridge ( one compressor).

So your looking at ballpark 45 amps per hour of panels. That's taking into account that the rated amps and the actual amps delivered will not be the same. I've measured it at about 70-75 % delivered compared to panel listing.

Using a generator, you'll want a battery charger rated at 100 amps to recover the load in two hours. Plus 400 amps of battery per day. This as you can only draw down 50% of the house bank. Me I would have 800 amps of house batteries. Then you have extra power for the windlass and microwave, etc.

OK I really really need to watch my thread drift a little....
Thanks once again for the input. Sailorchick u have played a wonderful part on my learning curve.

I just checked my options which I paid for. I have paid for two extra 140amp batteries each. Does it mean I have 4 batteries of 140 amp?

My battery charger is a 220v 40 amp battery charger. What does it mean? Is it adequate? My air con is 44000btu. Can the batteries alone power my air cons? Or do I need the generator to power my air cons or can i use pure batteries to power my boat?
Old 19-10-2012, 20:29   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So four batteries at 140 amps each give 560 amps total or 280 amps usable (draw down to 50% SOC). So you'll have about 1-1/2 days of battery power before running the genny.

With 44 mbh a/c your not at all running that on the batteries. That load is generator or shore power only.

Hum, So is your battery system 12 or 24V. Not that it makes that much difference. If your 24 volt and the changer is a 24V 40 amp then its close enough. If its 12V I would have them change the 40 amp battery charger (great for the dock, btw) with an 80-100 amp charger. So two hours or less on the genny a night will top off the batteries.

Of course if your running AC a lot then the smaller charger might be fine too as the generator will run more anyway.
Old 20-10-2012, 21:19   #55

Quote:
So four batteries at 140 amps each give 560 amps total or 280 amps usable (draw down to 50% SOC). So you'll have about 1-1/2 days of battery power before running the genny.

With 44 mbh a/c your not at all running that on the batteries. That load is generator or shore power only.

Hum, So is your battery system 12 or 24V. Not that it makes that much difference. If your 24 volt and the changer is a 24V 40 amp then its close enough. If its 12V I would have them change the 40 amp battery charger (great for the dock, btw) with an 80-100 amp charger. So two hours or less on the genny a night will top off the batteries.

Of course if your running AC a lot then the smaller charger might be fine too as the generator will run more anyway.
My battery system is 12v. Do you mean it's impossible to run the air conditioning purely from battery power? Forgive my questions as I am a first time owner/captain and any knowledge needs only be asked and learned once to be proficient in it for life. Your estimate of 1-11/2 days of battery life before needing a recharge is without aircon rite? Coz I remember a couple of days back u translated 44000 btu into 30-50amps.
Old 20-10-2012, 21:50   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdnase View Post
My battery system is 12v. Do you mean it's impossible to run the air conditioning purely from battery power? Forgive my questions as I am a first time owner/captain and any knowledge needs only be asked and learned once to be proficient in it for life. Your estimate of 1-11/2 days of battery life before needing a recharge is without aircon rite? Coz I remember a couple of days back u translated 44000 btu into 30-50amps.
Not impossible but VERY and inefficient and not practical.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 22:06   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Correct... No AC on the batteries. Your 44MBH is about 30 amps at 220V will be 550 amps ish at 12V. So really less then an hour if you could run it on the batteries. Really its far too high a amp load for your 4 batteries anyway. So no 3.5 ton AC without the generator or shore power.

There are small 5k btu 12V units that do run on batteries for a few hours, but your talking one cabin at most at that size..

Yes the 1 to 1-1/2 day was without A/C
Old 21-10-2012, 08:40   #58

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Correct... No AC on the batteries. Your 44MBH is about 30 amps at 220V will be 550 amps ish at 12V. So really less then an hour if you could run it on the batteries. Really its far too high a amp load for your 4 batteries anyway. So no 3.5 ton AC without the generator or shore power.

There are small 5k btu 12V units that do run on batteries for a few hours, but your talking one cabin at most at that size..

Yes the 1 to 1-1/2 day was without A/C

Good entertainment.
Old 21-10-2012, 08:52   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Good entertainment.
Hey.. I'm blonde.. I practically invented thread drift.... Besides it fits in with that annoy guys on CF part of MY entertainment....
Old 21-10-2012, 09:13   #60

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Hey.. I'm blonde.. I practically invented thread drift.... Besides it fits in with that annoy guys on CF part of MY entertainment....
OK....I surrender...........
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote