Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 18:44   #31
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Firing a gun on Lake Ontario

As long as someone knows what they are doing, and are being safe, and nobody else is inconvenienced or in any danger, what's wrong with using expanding gases to propel small cylinders of lead in a game of hand and eye coordination and practicing ballistics.
Old 23-03-2014, 18:49   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Firing a gun on Lake Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
As long as someone knows what they are doing, and are being safe, and nobody else is inconvenienced or in any danger, what's wrong with using expanding gases to propel small cylinders of lead in a game of hand and eye coordination and practicing ballistics.

The main problem, being the widely disputed and varied notion of what is " safe"

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23-03-2014, 19:20   #33

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

There is no trouble.
You must radio the authorities after each gunshot giving your name and position.
They will then have no trouble finding and arresting you.
Old 23-03-2014, 19:28   #34
Nearly an old salt

Firing a gun on Lake Ontario

Forgive me is the OP going to shoot at something or just , like randomly fire off shots into the air, I mean are you THAT bored sailing

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24-03-2014, 06:23   #35

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone mentioned that putting lead into our drinking water isn't such a great idea? I mean, we don't have "flare offs" anymore, as far as I know. My last box of expired flares I had to hump up to a suburban OPP detachment.

Nack to firing a gun in the lake. Brass or steel would be fine, I suppose. Insofar as "plinking" where there's very little to plink seems a touch pointless to me. Maybe tow a target?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 07:12   #36

Boat: S-2 9.2cc

The more I think about this, the better I like the idea. A little .410 ga. shot-gun with 8 shot would be LOTS of fun towing a target. I used to hunt feral hogs with a .410 with slugs, go about 50 yds. and run out of energy. Might be new way to entertain myself after rum is gone. Shooting sober, of course.
BobnCamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 07:40   #37

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

FROM NY Times obit of former NYPD Chief of Detectives Albert Seedman

- "When he was chief of detectives for the southern half of Brooklyn in 1967, a 17-year-old girl was killed by a bullet fired through an open window of her car as she drove on the Belt Parkway near the ocean.

Mr. Seedman oversaw an investigation in which 2,400 people were interviewed. Detectives located a gas station owner who had fired a rifle from his fishing boat while taking target practice at a floating beer can. One bullet had evidently ricocheted off the water and gone through the car window.(killing the teenage girl).
A grand jury ruled the shooting a bizarre accident."
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 07:52   #38

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanphoto View Post
I know there are tuns of threads about keeping a gun on board. But what if i want to fire off some rounds while i'm floating around on Lake Ontario. I'm a liscenced gun owner, gun is registured, boat is way off shore, no one is around (close enough to get hit). Can i get in trouble?

WHY???????????
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 08:21   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenarticle View Post

- "When he was chief of detectives for the southern half of Brooklyn in 1967, a 17-year-old girl was killed by a bullet fired through an open window of her car as she drove on the Belt Parkway near the ocean.

Mr. Seedman oversaw an investigation in which 2,400 people were interviewed. Detectives located a gas station owner who had fired a rifle from his fishing boat while taking target practice at a floating beer can. One bullet had evidently ricocheted off the water and gone through the car window.(killing the teenage girl).
Not so bizarre. Many yrs ago I was shot in the leg by a ricochet. Idiots had set up some cans on a pile of rocks and were plinking away with a .22. They thought the rocks would stop the bullets...they didn't. Ricochets have a rather unique sound a as they fly through the air, punctuated by a sharp crack as go past.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 08:33   #40

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottygurl View Post
popping and plinkin is a great past time, the problem i see is that you have a gun and nothing is in season, that could be an issue, some game wardens may try to seize your vessel as you could be considered a potential poacher or worse get put in the books as one.
better wait till September when duck season starts and you can pop off all the rounds you want
I guess you would be arrested because you had the equipment to commit the crime, even though you weren't committing the crime. Then I guess you could have the warden arrested for trying to rape you....he has the equipment (I hope).
Old 24-03-2014, 08:34   #41
Nearly an old salt

0.22 re notorious for ricochets anyway, they can be ricocheted of the dirt alone

Dave
Old 24-03-2014, 08:35   #42
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
I guess you would be arrested because you had the equipment to commit the crime, even though you weren't committing the crime. Then I guess you could have the warden arrested for trying to rape you....he has the equipment (I hope).

Well if he had his equipment in public view I think you could get him on that . !!!!
Old 24-03-2014, 08:37   #43

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenarticle View Post

Sad to say there are about 40,000 deaths per year caused by car accidents in the USA (about 2,700 death per year in Canada). Many of these deaths are due to poor driving habits, alcohol, and negligence and could be prevented with safe driving practices.

One must treat firearms with great respect, as we all know. Firing a rifle on the water toward a populated shoreline is negligent and stupid! It is an unfortunate death could have been prevented.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 09:17   #44

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLGCrawford View Post
In Canada it is illegal to fire a gun from a vehicle.
Sorry but a boat does not fall under the definition of Vehicle in the Highway Traffic Act.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 09:20   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
0.22 re notorious for ricochets anyway, they can be ricocheted of the dirt alone

Dave
By the way...that didn't turn me off shooting as a pastime. I just got a little more careful about the other people who might be around with weapons. I still enjoy target shooting and am considered pretty proficient. In recent years I came up with a solution which works well for me. I bought some nice pellet pistols and rifles and now can enjoy that pastime as much as I want without falling afoul of any anal retentive local laws, and shoot for a fraction of the cost as well. Works for me.
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lake ontario, ontario