Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 09:07   #46

Boat: Skookum 53'
Randy,
I carry a kilo because that is the size of the package I got on ebay, + I hate to run out of the stuff I like, hence a 5 gallon bucket of soy sauce. Mind you I also use it in my fish smoking recipes. Also I do commercial fish so I probably fare a little better than the average sailor.
As far as catching salmon underway goes, I would recommend using a pink lady and a flasher on the line, the depth is controlled by how much line you let out. I have caught salmon on tuna jigs with nothing else just sailing along and dragging it behind the boat.
Old 03-08-2009, 20:28   #47

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
As far as catching salmon underway goes, I would recommend using a pink lady and a flasher on the line, the depth is controlled by how much line you let out. I have caught salmon on tuna jigs with nothing else just sailing along and dragging it behind the boat.
Yeah, that's the rig I'm using right now, along with some local lures. Do you go lures or bait with the flasher? We'll see if it works! I was also thinking about a surface lure like you said- maybe as a handline only.. . thanks!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:39   #48

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I use a silver Yo Zuri Hydro Magnum for just about everything. I bet it will catch salmon too.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:47   #49

I have caught salmon on the feathered tuna jigs, & a myriad of other lures, which leads me to believe that if there is something in the water that catches the fishes attention they will strike it. I bought a new jig called a "wounded herring" and was using it in Africa on a hand line and caught a 4' tuna that was last month. I have always been a believer in natural baits, they make a critter called a herring harness that works and a trick the commercial trollers use is making a needle out of a piece of small diameter brazing rod about 8" long, sharpen one end and take a hammer and flatten a small bit of the other end and cut a slot or drill a hole in it. Then take a leader with a treble hook on the end and using the needle run it up through the herring and out the mouth and take a half hitch around the nose of the herring and tie it on to the rig. If you should happen into a cove where the salmon are you can use a mooching rig, which is two hooks on the same leader and the one closest to the bitter end slides, hook the back hook in the back of the herring and the front hook goes behind the head, using a 1 or 2 oz banana weight, you throw it over the side and let it float down and then retrieve in long jerking motions, not too fast.
Old 04-08-2009, 21:18   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I have caught salmon on the feathered tuna jigs, & a myriad of other lures, which leads me to believe that if there is something in the water that catches the fishes attention they will strike it. I bought a new jig called a "wounded herring" and was using it in Africa on a hand line and caught a 4' tuna that was last month. I have always been a believer in natural baits, they make a critter called a herring harness that works and a trick the commercial trollers use is making a needle out of a piece of small diameter brazing rod about 8" long, sharpen one end and take a hammer and flatten a small bit of the other end and cut a slot or drill a hole in it. Then take a leader with a treble hook on the end and using the needle run it up through the herring and out the mouth and take a half hitch around the nose of the herring and tie it on to the rig. If you should happen into a cove where the salmon are you can use a mooching rig, which is two hooks on the same leader and the one closest to the bitter end slides, hook the back hook in the back of the herring and the front hook goes behind the head, using a 1 or 2 oz banana weight, you throw it over the side and let it float down and then retrieve in long jerking motions, not too fast.
Exactly the info I was looking for...thanks a lot!!

Haven't tried mooching yet, but got the setup for it ready- can't wait.
Old 04-08-2009, 23:01   #51

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Catching fish is the sign of a slow boat.
Really?

I would say that every fish I have caught trolling was at over 6 knots

Have had them on the chew at times where we couldn't even get the line fully out before getting hit.

Almost every fish (over 1000lb of them) we got on this trip was at 8 knots .

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...94&postcount=4

Even had hookups (and landed) when up in the mid teens under sail
Old 05-08-2009, 06:06   #52

Salmon slow, mahi mahi fast

Cat man do, the fish that you are catching like fast bait. Only when they are very small do they slow down a bit. We did very well from a liberty ship trading in the Pacific at 8 knots.

The salmon we catch in the northern waters mostly seem to like slow bait: even drifting.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50   #53

Enjoy Geo, we sat in a cove with 15 anglers using those mooching rigs and caught 75 Cohos in an afternoon, the fish seemed to be circling around and every time they came under the boat everyone would hook up. Of course a key factor is, the fish have to be there. The tide change can also change the feeding habits, I have watched in a tidal pool where a bunch of salmon were, and they would not take anything, and right when the tide turned and started going out, they came to life and ate everything.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:05   #54

Averaging...

5 coho + 5 beer per angler.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:07   #55
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
fishing from a slow boat is not a bad thing nor is catching only that which the crew is able to eat in one day.....i prefer to do it that way!!!LOL~~~~~_/)~~~~~~
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:55   #56

I had to reef the furling genoa to the size of a small jib when winds hit 6-8 kts...

...so we could "sail-troll" 1.5-2 kts fishing for salmon today. There were a few other sailboats out there, but we were the only ones sailing downwind fishing. We motored upwind just out of respect for the other fishers so they wouldn't have to deal with a tacking sailboat going through the fishing grounds. Thanks for the advice, it paid off. We ended up limiting on pink salmon today, my first saltwater salmon catches ever! They say that anyone can catch pink salmon, so I'm glad I did, too!

P.S. The first fish we hooked was a medium sized king on my small rod w/8 lb test!! That was the most exciting one of the day, but he got away about 5 feet from the boat.

P.P.S. I'm surprised it took this long for a "big one that got away" story to come up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1212.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	467.2 KB
ID:	9515   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1210.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	9516  

Old 22-08-2009, 21:35   #57
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

We have sailed for 14,000 nms and have caught 4 fish.... thats one fish per 6,000 kilometers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
Update: We have done another 2,000nms and still no more fish

Mind you, this is asia and I am not sure I would want to eat anything out of this water....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 07:01   #58

icould have told you all about the ones that got away and the rods i broke on them but i didnt wanna worry you all about being able to catch the fishies----lol--donot let them get under the boat!!!!if they do--they are GONE!!!!!!
Old 23-08-2009, 20:39   #59

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Got two nice blues yesterday in Narragansett Bay on my trusty Yo Zuri. Delicious.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2009, 17:40   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Got two nice blues yesterday in Narragansett Bay on my trusty Yo Zuri. Delicious.
i hope ye grilled them--those are soooooooo awesome!!!!!!--yer making me hungry!!!!

Tags
fishing