Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2020, 14:17   #31

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36
Re: Fishing on long haul or ocean passage

P.S.
Always take fixings for enjoying your fish.

For tacos--tortillas, tomatoes, cabbage to shred, onion, sauces
For sashimi--chopsticks, wasabi, pickled ginger, soy sauce, sesame seeds, etc.
For chowder--canned milk is a staple
For sauteeing fillets--Panco crumbs, crackers for crackers crumbs, etc.
For soup--your favorite additions for fish soup
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 15:46   #32

I like to drag something on a hand line. Check out waay cool hand lines for ideas.
Tight lines
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 16:14   #33

Cleaning the fish at sea can be made easier and less messy by using the vessels fender board

Lash the fender board diagonally across the windward side stern pulpit

Make it secure

Then put the fish on this fender board table ... take a large nail and nail the fish ...tail...to the fender board

Once the fish is nailed to the cutting table it’s easy to clean in a seaway

Throw a bucket of water over everything to make clean up easy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC9CC656-662C-4BB6-8074-A8BD9AF5B434.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	217856  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 16:53   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I don’t think it’s that the deep sea has been fished out, it’s just that it’s always been a dessert. Fish congregate where there is shelter or food. Neither exist mid ocean, so you left chancing across a random hunter or a migratory school to hook something.
Commercial Fishing has indeed done serious damage in many fisheries, but those are mostly near coastal.

Here in Panama an interesting thing is happening which I saw and discussed w local fishermen on a recent fishing trip on the Pacific coast. Chinese factory ships are hanging out offshore, just out of Panamanian waters, and buying the catch from local fishermen. This has encourage much heavier commercial fishing by Panamanian fishermen who are depleting their own fisheries.

The root cause issue is of course world wide seafood demand. Stop or reduce the demand and the fisheries will recover. Sustain the demand and someone will find a way to fill it.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 19:36   #35

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Commercial Fishing has indeed done serious damage in many fisheries, but those are mostly near coastal.

This has encourage much heavier commercial fishing by Panamanian fishermen who are depleting their own fisheries.

My guess is its going to get harder for individual fishermen that fish in those near coastal areas to catch enough to feed their families and the Chinese aren't interested in buying those small non-commercial catches.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 20:09   #36

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Great posts!! Thanks to all that contributed.

My 2 biggest concerns are...

(1) How do you know a fish is edible? (i.e. not poisonous or bad for you), and
(2) How do you filet it once it's on your deck?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0473_web.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	217868   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0481_web.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	458.2 KB
ID:	217869  

Name:	IMG_0964_web.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	217870  
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 20:55   #37

As others have noted, you should not plan on surviving on fish during a large passage (unless you bring some). On a delivery from Bermuda to St. Martin we only caught fish when we were leaving Bermuda and when close to St. Martin. 8 days of nothing. I use a boat line (parachute chord with bungee and long leader) as well as a Penn Tuna Stick with 80 lb test.
CaptSQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 21:17   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Great posts!! Thanks to all that contributed.

My 2 biggest concerns are...

(1) How do you know a fish is edible? (i.e. not poisonous or bad for you), and
(2) How do you filet it once it's on your deck?

(1) You don't. Avoid fishing in ciguatera areas (many tropical reef areas). Pelagic fish are normally OK.

(2) Lots of descriptions and videos all over the intertubes. Google is your friend.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 06:55   #39

Other than possible ciguattera contamination (for which there is no reliable test) there are VERY few fish that are toxic/inedible...some are just better than others.

An excellent encyclopedic coverage of every aspect of fishing from a cruising sailboat:

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Scott-Ba.../dp/0071427880
Old 22-06-2020, 07:42   #40

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post

(...)

No.

In fact, deep sea fisheries have done exactly the same offshore.

Oceans have been depleted.

Neither can you in these terms say 'coastal supply has been affected' as in the oceans nothing is disconnected - you kill all inshore species = you deplete offshore species. It is a chain, and we are at one of its ends.

We are simply consuming too much, of everything.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2006/11/02...sh-in-the-sea/
https://www.zmescience.com/science/o...cean-20012016/

But hopefully for not much longer. Vide graph.

Cheers,
b.
Attached Images

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 07:42   #41

[QUOTE=belizesailor;3169574]Other than possible ciguattera contamination (for which there is no reliable test) there are VERY few fish that are toxic/inedible...some are just better than others.

I think you have to be careful with some fish that eat small poisonous fish and the poison accumulates in their flesh. I think some areas in the Caribbean have barracuda that are mildly poisonous just because of their diet.

I know that barracuda are edible and very tasty but in some locals might be a problem.
Old 22-06-2020, 08:06   #42

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We had very different results in different places. Between the Chesapeake and the West Indies just the occasional fish. Across the Pacific, almost nothing. Across the Indian Ocean we would catch a maki-mahi any time we fished. Generally a catch would provide for 3 to 4 days for four people. Once it was gone we would fish again. Usually catch a fish within a few hours.
Old 23-06-2020, 01:24   #43

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Fish like certain temperatures. Usually is a temp where their prey congregate. Tuna fishing I found 62°F a good temp line to follow. Also their eyes don't dilate, so as the sun goes up, the fish go down. You can use a planer when the sun is high. Most tuna lures mimic flying fish and trolling speed is around 6 knots. Faster is better.
40 years ago, we started tuna seasons about 1800 miles NW of Midway Island and traveled with the fish toward the West Coast, occasionally dropping down to Midway to offload our catch to a buy boat. To find the fish again, we'd look for 62°F surface water temp.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 08:03   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ama View Post

I think you have to be careful with some fish that eat small poisonous fish and the poison accumulates in their flesh. I think some areas in the Caribbean have barracuda that are mildly poisonous just because of their diet.

I know that barracuda are edible and very tasty but in some locals might be a problem.
Ciguatera does not originate with inheriently toxic fish, it originates with a type of dinoflagellate. The reef fish eat the algae in which this organism lives, accumulate the toxin, then bigger predator fish eat the reef fish. This is how Cuddas end up being a prime carrier of ciguatera.

The occurrence of this dinoflagellate does vary with region and thus so does risk of ciguatera poisoning. Example, I would never eat a Cudda in S Florida or N Cuba, the risk is just too high, but I do eat them in Belize & Panama where the risk is low. I do stick to the smaller ones though (theory being that smaller ones have had less time to accumulate the toxin, but Ive never seen an actual study of that).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigu...fish_poisoning
Old 24-06-2020, 08:29   #45

My experience has been around Cozumel. I've never had a problem eating them but some of the locals are reluctant to eat barracuda. That may be from a steady diet for those locals versus me (a very occasional diver in the area).

Most of the cuda on the reefs in Cozumel are small. I've never seen one over 3' long; however, the ones that park under the rigs in offshore Texas or Louisiana are commonly over 6' long.

Tags
fish, fishing, passage