Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Bikes (folding or regular)
worth having on a cruising boat 29 72.50%
more trouble dealingwith than they are worth 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2017, 17:02   #136

Boat: 1962 Sunfish
Re: Folding Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
BTW, you never did explain how your dinghy gets back to the boat by itself to pick up the second person and second bike.
I don't remember what your requirements were now, other than you need a butler.

You really can't figure it out? They make 2 trips with the bikes and then the 2 of them go to shore.

I solo, so there's only 1 trip needed.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 17:19   #137

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post

You really can't figure it out? They make 2 trips with the bikes and then the 2 of them go to shore.

Glad it works for you and them!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 18:04   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I lower my 35# dahon stowaway down into my dink then I climb down and.row to shore. When I get back to the boat I do the reverse . Never had an issue
Old 30-05-2017, 22:21   #139
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindJunkie View Post
Puffcard, isn't there some requirement in the Bahamas to REGISTER your bicycle? I'm sure it's because they would rather you pay money for a taxi everywhere you want to go. I've heard it's pretty expensive, can you tell us how much, and how much of a pain things are there regarding using bikes in general? Thx.
Rode our bikes for six months in the Bahamas this past winter, nothing in our cruising permit mentions bikes, customs said nothing about the bikes as she leaned on the rail adjacent to them, Never had anybody ask about a license at any time. Nor did the topic of licenses come up on my previous three winters in the Bahamas.
Old 31-05-2017, 01:17   #140
cruiser

Quote:

Obviously you've never actually tried to do this and are speaking out of your behind.

We actually did use MTB bikes for four years onboard and it was a total pain in the backside. I fell in once with the bike landing on top of me while attempting to board the dinghy... with the bike already on the dinghy. Hurt my back twice when transfering the bikes on deck. Finally in complete disgust with the wretched things, we abandoned both of them next to a trash can... where they remained for nearly a month before being tossed.

They were brand new Orbea MTB bikes when they started out, total junk after two summers which we nursed through two more summers.

The only good thing about having an MTB bike onboard, is that when you finally toss it overboard in disgust, it makes a good artificial reef.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 03:04   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Obviously you've never actually tried to do this and are speaking out of your behind.
No, I never said I did, but I showed you several people doing it. Are you one of those people who asks critics of YouTube videos where their videos are? You don't actually have to do a thing to know if it's doable, especially when you have visual evidence of people doing it easily. Maybe you're just clumsy if you keep hurting yourself. You say "we" which means you had help, just as the couple in the video. They aren't crying it's too hard. And they're doing it in a 6 foot dinghy.
Old 31-05-2017, 03:12   #142
cruiser

Quote:
No, I never said I did, but I showed you several people doing it. Are you one of those people who asks critincs of YouTube videos where their videos are? You don't actually have to do a thing to know if it's doable, especially when you have visual evidence of people doing it easily. Maybe you're just clumsy if you keep hurting yourself. You say "we" which means you had help, just as the couple in the video. They aren't crying it's too hard. And they're doing it in a 6 foot dinghy.
So now by your own admission, you've been talking out of your butt the entire time... with no personal experience on the matter like the rest of us.

Thanks for wasting everyones time.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 03:34   #143

Quote:
So now by your own admission, you've been talking out of your butt the entire time... with no personal experience on the matter like the rest of us.

Yes, by my own admission, I said I never said I had an MTB bike. But I do lift other heavier things in and out of the dinghy. So, yeah, I guess in your mind that means I can't know how to lift 35 awkward pounds up and down. I'm flattered to know that you think if I can't do a thing, it can't be done. Even when you have seen other people do it with no effort. Did you think they were superhuman? Maybe they were using special effects, since it's a video?
Old 31-05-2017, 03:41   #144

Sounds like you'd be doing me a favor.
Old 31-05-2017, 15:36   #145

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I've had at least 8 full size bikes over the years. I would use a block and tackle. I would have an attachment point on the bike that would be perfectly balanced. The main advantage was I could get them cheap off of Craigslist, leave them chained up on land when I was staying for a while and buy another one in a year or two for less investment than it would take to maintain an expensive bike.My Paratrooper's too valuable to leave locked up overnight. I've also had a few bmx-style bikes that were much easier to put in the dinghy and on board the boat but much more effort to ride and harder to carry stuff.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 16:36   #146

Quote:

Yeah, I usually recognize the trolls quicker....
Old 31-05-2017, 18:38   #147

Just because you disagree with someone and are proven wrong does not mean I'm trolling. You're just wrong. Nobody called you a troll because you had an inferior position.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:44   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I've had at least 8 full size bikes over the years. I would use a block and tackle...............
This was our practice or many years. I would slip a strap with a D-ring on each end around a strong point above the center of gravity within a bundle of our two folded bikes. Nancie, on deck, would take in the line on the block & tackle attached to our mizzen halyard after I attached the shackle to these D-rings. I would hold a guide line from my position within the dinghy to pull the bundle of bikes clear from the lifelines and direct the bikes over our aft cabin companionway. At this point Nancie could secure the end of the block & tackle line and I could board and take a position in the aft cabin to receive the bikes for secure storage below. The reverse of this same procedure was our method for loading the bikes into the dinghy. We never attempted moving our bikes to or from the boat in a rolling anchorage. Actually, we very rarely had to choose anchorages that were not peaceful.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:36   #149

Quote:
Just because you disagree with someone and are proven wrong does not mean I'm trolling. You're just wrong. Nobody called you a troll because you had an inferior position.
Wrong? The OP asked for people's opinions, there is no wrong answer!

I expressed my opinion based on my experience, all you did was express an opinion based on your imagination and youtube, then argued with others about their opinion. That is being a troll!
Old 01-06-2017, 07:46   #150

You're wrong that it's too difficult after all the people who have told you they easily do it. You've been shown people who easily do it. I've told you how I easily move equipment double in weight, not imagined weight. Crying troll is childish and there's no merit to it.