Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Bikes (folding or regular)
worth having on a cruising boat 29 72.50%
more trouble dealingwith than they are worth 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 06:11   #61
cruiser

Re: Folding Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
Thank you for propping up the Canadian economy. Almost singled-handedly, I would say.

Some bike case manufacturers say their travel cases/bags are waterproof. Could they not be stored on the aft deck during passages to keep a good bike dry, or is 'waterproof' just a marketing tag?

I suppose you have Dura-ace Di2 on some of those puppies too?
All Campy on the road bikes.

We tried everything before reluctantly switching to folders including bagging the road bikes on deck. Rust.

A monkey bike was the best solution, considering the last thing we needed was more bikes. Another big issue was transporting the road and MTB in the dinghy... too big, bulky and heavy. They get wet with salt water from the dinghy ride, and we have a twelve foot long dinghy.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:23   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Who has a Stradia? It would seem due to the drive belt and aluminum frame to be a decent boat bike?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:50   #63

After a lot of research and wanting "proper" bikes I opted for a pair of Montague folding bikes. Wouldnt be without them, as I like to arrive anywhere with transport. Of course they fold and they fit in the rear lazarette either folded or not. The 485 is big enough to also keep them on deck under a waterproof bike cover, and out of pure laziness that tends to be where they stay strapped to the rear rails. There are a few components which are inclined to suffer a bit with rust, but keeping them well coated in an inhibitor has prevented almost any rusting so far. As bikes very good they are too. (I have dropped them in the water once each!)
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:22   #64

Sondors Fold. https://sondors.com/pages/sondors-fold
https://youtu.be/-ADzjH0AupA
Fat tire- good for sand, off road, battery and controller are built into frame- protection from elements, aluminum frame, pre-sale pric $700-900, have to wait 3-6mo delivery.

On a hot summer day our non ebike range is about 5 miles. I figure with the bigger battery setup, we'll be looking at a comfortable range of 15 miles. We love to explore so that's a no brainier for us.
qtmspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:29   #65

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

I'm looking at this one. Looks like a real bike when it's opened and built for the marine environment.
https://www.montaguebikes.com/allston-folding-bike/
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:42   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
I'm looking at this one. Looks like a real bike when it's opened and built for the marine environment.
https://www.montaguebikes.com/allston-folding-bike/
Before you commit the the Montague, realize you can buy a Brompton for the same money or less, which folds up to half the size. Space is a premium on our boat, best to first check to see if that one will fit where you plan to put it. Plus, getting a folding bike on and off a boat and into a dinghy is also an issue. Will one or two of those fit in your dinghy along with a couple of passengers?

Remember, you can't leave these things outside even if the bike store says it's OK.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:38   #67

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Allston
Folded Size: 36″x28″x12″
• Approx Weight: 30lbs
Normal wheels

Brompton
23" x 22.2" x 10.6"
No weight given
Tiny wheels
No price given

I guess it's priorities. I want my primary mode of transport to be comfortable and have big enough wheels to handle variable terrain. I already have to put a 55 pound engine in the dinghy every time I want to use it, I can't imagine the bike is more difficult. But it's just me in the dinghy too.

I just watched Nike (White Spot Pirates) get in a one person kayak with another woman and her bike and other stuff, so really, is any foldable bike too big for a dinghy?

I plan to store it in my Catalina 30 where other people put their washing machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If you don't want to stretch your legs but just want to putter around town, then you would be better off with a 16" wheel bike like the Brompton or any number of others -- they are simpler and easier to store.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:58   #68

Boat: Liberty 458

Most folding bikes are just as cumbersome when folded. The bromptons are great for commuting but hardly marinized. Most others are more the result of an industrial designers wet dream than something practical.

We have a couple of montagues that fit in the back of our hatchback. But they're totally impractical on the boat.

The brompton is still the best folding bike imho but lacks keys features. Such as gilmer drive and internal shifting hub. Anything with a derailleur and chain is a pita.

I've been watching the weekly youtube videos that feature folding bikes, scooters and other wheeled vehicles. I can see the benefits in thinking outside the box.

There are some franken bikes that blend a bike and scooter. These seem to be heading in the right direction in terms of compactness, load carrying and practicality.

Our ideal solution needs to be a trike, with 2 front wheels and 1 rear wheel which is the most stable configuration. It needs to have a decent seat with back support. It needs to be combo electric and foot powered and be able to haul cruiser loads up hill and down. Sometimes we want to exercise and sometimes we want to haul stuff. It needs to handle paved road and rough tracks. It needs to fold flat and be easy to carry and store.

These days few co workers ride bikes on their commute. Lots of skateboards and unicycles.

If we don't see anything suitable by next year I'll build my own. Until then we love to walk.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 14:45   #69

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Just had my 87 dahon with 16 inch rims stolen after all these years on a boat had no real issues with rusting.
Stored easily on my 24 ft islander in the lazzerette with my engine.
Just purchased a new no name one that is rated for 120 kilos rider and gear.
Folding Bike 20 Inch 6 Speed Bike Fold Storage Blue College School City Commuter | eBay
Should take delivery next Monday. I will post a critique of how it preforms in a coup,e months after I have time to evaluate all the aspects of it.
Did you get the bike? And what did you think? I checked out the link and they look reasonably priced or maybe too good to be quality.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 15:26   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Most folding bikes are just as cumbersome when folded. The bromptons are great for commuting but hardly marinized. Most others are more the result of an industrial designers wet dream than something practical.

We have a couple of montagues that fit in the back of our hatchback. But they're totally impractical on the boat.

The brompton is still the best folding bike imho but lacks keys features. Such as gilmer drive and internal shifting hub. Anything with a derailleur and chain is a pita.

I've been watching the weekly youtube videos that feature folding bikes, scooters and other wheeled vehicles. I can see the benefits in thinking outside the box.

There are some franken bikes that blend a bike and scooter. These seem to be heading in the right direction in terms of compactness, load carrying and practicality.

Our ideal solution needs to be a trike, with 2 front wheels and 1 rear wheel which is the most stable configuration. It needs to have a decent seat with back support. It needs to be combo electric and foot powered and be able to haul cruiser loads up hill and down. Sometimes we want to exercise and sometimes we want to haul stuff. It needs to handle paved road and rough tracks. It needs to fold flat and be easy to carry and store.

These days few co workers ride bikes on their commute. Lots of skateboards and unicycles.

If we don't see anything suitable by next year I'll build my own. Until then we love to walk.
Our Bromptons have internal shifting hubs and after one full year, no rust. I coated the bikes with WD40 prior to packing them in a padded storage bags for the winter on the boat.

They still look new.
Old 08-05-2017, 15:30   #71

It works for you so I'm not knocking it but WD-40 is not really for rust prevention. I remember Practical Sailor did a review but I can't remember what they chose as best. I have a can of corrosion X but I remember it was not the winner.
Old 08-05-2017, 15:53   #72

Boat: J/42

Boeshield?
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 15:55   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Boeshield?
No it actually it didn't do very well. I also have a can of it. I bought it because supposedly NASA uses it and it has wax in it and I remember being surprised at how poorly it did. I have had great results with rust neutralizer that turns rust back into metal. I know Loctite is one company that makes it and you can buy it at any hardware store. Also Rustoleum has a spray on Rust neutralizer.
Old 08-05-2017, 16:02   #74

I once had a product for testing in the lab that is used as a corrosion inhibitor for cargo holds. It was like magic - some kind of micro-emulsified oil that looked like oil but dissolved in water. You spray it on, the water evaporates, and leaves the oil behind. But it was only available in 55-gallon barrels.
I should have told them that I needed another gallon of sample for testing purposes.
Old 08-05-2017, 16:07   #75

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...es/5431-1.html

They liked CorrosionPro Lube, CRC Heavy Duty, and LPS 3