Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Bikes (folding or regular)
worth having on a cruising boat 29 72.50%
more trouble dealingwith than they are worth 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 22:20   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Folding Bikes

Strapped to the lifelines we carry two Trek District single speed, belt drives. Carbon frame aluminum forks, plastic sprockets with belt drive. Ultralight (wife picks them up, one in each hand) and nothing to rust.
Old 27-05-2017, 00:44   #107

The front disc is most important...as it allows removal and reinstalling the front wheel extremely quick (as you noted...that makes the folded size much smaller). If you start feeling at some point that your front brake is not working as well as it did (and you will as you put miles on)...look closely at the disc brake system, you'll notice only one pad moves. When the brake is no longer stopping well you just need to adjust the fixed pad in a tiny bit and your brake will work like new again. I have almost 6,000 miles and have not yet had to replace the pads, and I have made quite a few of these adjustments.
WindJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 01:42   #108

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
And what bike do you load in your dinghy?
I don't at the moment, but i do load a 55 pound Suzuki 6 hp engine in and out of the Zodiac, every time i want to use it. I WILL be getting the 30 pound Allston from Montague. What's your point?
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 05:12   #109

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
A lot of people will say: when a person's successful it's because they're lucky[emoji206] when they fail it's because they're incompetent [emoji572]

Ah, so I offer an opinion that is different from yours and I'm incompetent, shows lots about your character!!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 05:20   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
It's getting late but I just wanted to make one more comment. I've owned Raleigh's which are excellent bikes, a Fuji and another top brand bike that I can't remember the brand. I've had friends with very expensive bikes let me ride them, fixies and carbon fiber and you name it but I swear this paratrooper is the nicest riding bike I've ever been on.
In what way? The people who spend $2-10k on a bike don't do so because they are terrible to ride on, so what makes the Paratrooper good for you?

I'm not attacking the Montague since I'm thinking of getting one; just looking for more details.
Chris 249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 05:58   #111

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

I've owned a lot of clunkers and a few nice bikes.In Key West I owned a beach cruiser and it felt like I was always going uphill.( not too many Hills in Key West). That's the biggest thing, the paratrooper takes less energy to ride and it's just smooth. It also has unique shifters that have a lever to go up and a lever to go down in Gears. And as mentioned earlier the front disc brake kept me out of an accident by giving me complete control of the front Tire. And Dotdun I wasn't calling you incompetent . I was referring to you wishing me luck, it just reminded me of that saying.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 06:46   #112

Boat: Tartan 37

On a smaller boat, bikes are a real pain and always in the way. It depends on your boat, where you cruising, are you anchored out or tied to a pier and how long you're staying in one location. Most people we talk to, use the bikes less than they thought. Currently we wintering thru the Bahamas and it's not great for bikes. I have a very light Strida, fun to ride and folds up to small.

puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 07:33   #113

Puffcard, isn't there some requirement in the Bahamas to REGISTER your bicycle? I'm sure it's because they would rather you pay money for a taxi everywhere you want to go. I've heard it's pretty expensive, can you tell us how much, and how much of a pain things are there regarding using bikes in general? Thx.
WindJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 08:08   #114
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
On a smaller boat, bikes are a real pain and always in the way. It depends on your boat, where you cruising, are you anchored out or tied to a pier and how long you're staying in one location. Most people we talk to, use the bikes less than they thought. Currently we wintering thru the Bahamas and it's not great for bikes. I have a very light Strida, fun to ride and folds up to small.

Are you sure you put it together correctly?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 20:43   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Have you ever transported a folding bike in a dinghy? Stood in the dinghy and lifted it to a dock at shoulder height? Fit 2 bikes in a dinghy with 2 people without damaging the dinghy fabric?

My folding bikes are 20" aluminum frame and weigh 24 pounds. I've had heavier folding bikes, weight is a huge factor.
https://youtu.be/-mmePkOk-E8?t=9m30s
Full size mountain bikes from a 31 foot sailboat to a 6 foot dinghy. Is it magic?
Old 29-05-2017, 21:06   #116

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Well that video definitely had some magic in it. And I just wanted to comment that if you click on the YouTube logo it will bring you to YouTube where you can subscribe to that channel if you want, and read the comments too.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 21:08   #117

Boat: Tartan 37

The Rule is bicycles and motorcycles should be listed on the cruising permit when clearing into the Bahamas. If you wish to use them ashore, they should be licensed at the first port of call.

I only rode mind in Great Harbor in the Berries. I didn't list the bike and never saw any stickers or licenses on any bikes the locals were riding. Think a motor cycle would be much different.

Not taking one next year. Will carry more beer.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 22:26   #118
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
https://youtu.be/-mmePkOk-E8?t=9m30s
Full size mountain bikes from a 31 foot sailboat to a 6 foot dinghy. Is it magic?
Those MTB bikes will turn to crap within six months, ours did. Constantly replacing cables, bottom brakets and steering tubes froze up with rust. Front shocks... rust. Brake calipers finished total rust. Hurt my back several times getting on and off the boat with the two bikes. Could only transport them one at a time and they still got soaked on the way.

But do what you want, it's your money to waste, your back to hurt.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 23:49   #119

Boat: no boat any more

had two 28" el-cheapo steelframe "citybikes" on 2 rtw; some rust but astonishingly ok. getting ashore in the Bombard AX3 was a challenge, riding fine though. No way you'd make 50, 60km on gravel/sandroads in FP or Tonga with folding bikes
stowed them in the forpeak, frontwheels off, pedals off, handlebars turned 90°
Old 30-05-2017, 03:34   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Those MTB bikes will turn to crap within six months, ours did. Constantly replacing cables, bottom brakets and steering tubes froze up with rust. Front shocks... rust. Brake calipers finished total rust. Hurt my back several times getting on and off the boat with the two bikes. Could only transport them one at a time and they still got soaked on the way.

But do what you want, it's your money to waste, your back to hurt.
I'm sure they will. Wasn't the point of the post.