Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2011, 06:41   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Folding Bikes

We don't own cars. We own bikes, and the bike trailers necessary to transport sail bags. This decision frees up money for life's important things, like sailing and rum, but has dictated many other choices, like living within walking distance of the lake and our club.

Despite this, we have decided that folding bikes are not for us. We have determined that it is likely going to be cheaper to simply buy a "beater" wherever we go, and to bolt on a good rack and waterproof pannier "system". We keep the "beater" aboard if we are doing a chain of close islands, or sell it when we are about to embark on passage. We keep the racks (which lie flat and take up little room, and use the panniers in the dinghies like any other bag we'd use for laundry or groceries ashore.

If we are wrong about this, we can always score folding bikes, I suppose, but our idea is based on utility and the fact that I can alter any bike to fit, having been a bike courier for some time and a bike rider for over 40 years.

I just find those folders tend to rust to the lifelines more often than not, and the super-expensive alu jobs with "belt drive" just scream "steal me".
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 09:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamankhan
I am looking for a place where I can find used folding bikes. I've searched craigslist and ebay but nothing so far. Karim Cycle in Berkeley sells used folding bikes and I was just wondering if there's any other place that does the same. Unfortunately I cannot afford a new folding bike - It would be better if I can go and see the bike and test it considering its used. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Not sure, but my moulton is for sale on eBay at the moment. Probably a good place to look
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 09:45   #18

Re: Folding Bikes

I rode the wheels off mine during four years in the South Pacific and Oz. Sold the boat and the bike went with it. Now I have a new boat and I'll be getting another folder, for sure!
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 09:56   #19

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Folding Bikes

Hey Skippy,
I have a new Fortress 37 that I'd trade for a decent Dahon. Am in NC.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote