Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 19:38   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Fun places to see on the Chesapeake

I’m in Norfolk with a friend from Florida and headed for Deltaville tomorrow. (Tues) Would like to find somewhere to go between Deltaville and St Micheals. Anyone have any suggestions? Any suggestions for beyond St Michaels on the way to Baltimore are also welcome. We are on a sailboat with 5’8” draft and just need to be in Baltimore or Annapolis by July 4. Marina, mooring, or anchorage are all fine. My friend flys home on the 5th from BWI.
Thanks for your help.
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 05:39   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Fun places to see on the Chesapeake

Annapolis is a fun town. easy in and out. with the 4th of july coming there will be tons of towns/marinas ect doing july 4th fireworks.

st micheals to baltimore is 34 nm or so.. if you cut through Kent narrows. would be a long day sailing with a lot of motoring

Annapolis is 26nm but if you were going to stay there, you better get on the phone and start trying to reserve a slip unless you anchor out. BWI is about 30 minutes from down town annapolis

deltaville north, cambridge, solomons, Deal Isaland, tred avon, St mary's college, Oxford.. plenty of place to gunkhole.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 06:13   #3

Boat: Spindrift 43

Tangier island is a cool stop- probably the most unique “cultural excursion” you could ever get within the continental United States. You can only get there by air or by sea, and it’s a really unique/eclectic little community. They sustain themselves through crabbing, and they actually retain the accent from 18th century England (which doesn’t even exist in England anymore).

Here’s a link describing it: https://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/2...british-accent
Old 29-06-2021, 06:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Tangier island is a cool stop- probably the most unique “cultural excursion” you could ever get within the continental United States. You can only get there by air or by sea, and it’s a really unique/eclectic little community. They sustain themselves through crabbing, and they actually retain the accent from 18th century England (which doesn’t even exist in England anymore).

Here’s a link describing it: https://www.bbc.com/travel/gallery/2...british-accent
+1

Might keep you clear of all the 4th of July crowds as well...

Anybody looked at a weather forecast for your area? Where you go and how comfortable that will be for your guest/crew, depending upon his experience and proneness-to-seasickness should be factored into your itinerary.

Also you do understand about tides, yes...?

Happy 4th,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 06:58   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelandken View Post
I’m in Norfolk with a friend from Florida and headed for Deltaville tomorrow. (Tues) Would like to find somewhere to go between Deltaville and St Micheals. Anyone have any suggestions? Any suggestions for beyond St Michaels on the way to Baltimore are also welcome. We are on a sailboat with 5’8” draft and just need to be in Baltimore or Annapolis by July 4. Marina, mooring, or anchorage are all fine. My friend flys home on the 5th from BWI.
Thanks for your help.
Ken
What are you looking for towns or out of the way anchorages?

Be aware this is one of the busiest weekends and many of the towns, marinas and anchorages will be full. Also look at the firework schedule as this will create it's own anchoring craziness.

Here's a town route: From Deltaville the natural sailing stops/anchorages going N would be Reedville and Solomons. From there could do the Choptank (Oxford, Cambridge and a back way into St. Michaels). If you do the Choptank could make it thru Knapps Narrows (ck shoaling) to shorten the distance then to Annapolis. This would be plenty to do in this time period and you still may be to do all that. Would be the easiest for you to drop your friend off in Annapolis and get an Uber or hotel shuttle to BWI, vs. you sailing all the way to Baltimore.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 07:35   #6

As a fellow Tayana 37 owner (hull #448) based in Deltaville, I'll throw out a favorite stop of mine and that is anchoring up the St Mary's river at horseshoe bend. There a historial site there and people are dressed in costume much as you see in Williamsburg, just on a smaller scale. St Mary's college is also there and at the time we were there it was open to the public for meals. From there it's a pretty easy sail on to Solomons, which is always a fun place. And I do like going to St Michaels from the back door on the Choptank. If you want to avoid villages, the Wye River has good remote anchoraes. Just a few suggestions.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 07:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We often liked to anchor in the bay at St. Marys, Maryland. They have weekend concerts on the lawn and the college there is very welcoming to cruisers. There is also a tour of the early Jesuit replica vessel; however, I've forgotten the name

There is also a nice stop on Tangier Island at the very inexpensive Parks Marina. You would need to be careful with your draft, but the mud is forgiving, 'maybe enter at the rising, but not maximum, tide.

Reedsville can be pleasant too, but some ar put off by the fish industry smell,- 'good restaurant.
Old 29-06-2021, 07:51   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Anybody looked at a weather forecast for your area?

The forecast is for rain Thurs.- Sunday, but like many times the forecast is off. The good news for this forecast, it may keep the crowds down.
If you have enough foulies on board, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Enjoy the trip.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 07:59   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post

I've lived near and among these folks for many years especially when I was younger and their accent hasn't changed much.

Ours on the Eastern Shore back in the day wasn't a whole lot different though, but the lower Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (completed in 1964) and cable TV changed all that.

My high school in Onancock is only about 15-17 miles from Tangier with 5 miles of that being Onancock Creek.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 13:25   #10

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Baltimore is NOT having fireworks this year. Annapolis is and the Severn River anchorage will be a bigger zoo than normal this year.
If you're plan is to come up the Bay you should be aware of the following cause it aint pretty.
The forecast for the Annapolis area is Thunderstorms Thursday and Friday with rain showers tapering off Sat afternoon and stray showers Sunday morning.
I hate to be a party pooper but you might want to rethink your plans.
JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 13:55   #11

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
Ken
Solomons is good, might fit your purpose.

-Chris
Old 29-06-2021, 14:38   #12

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Only read the OP and not the whole thread so... forgive me it this is a repeat:

Haven't sailed the Chesapeake since the 80's but...

Is the Crab Claw restaurant in St. Michaels still open? Pick'n crab and drink'n beer there was always a good time.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 15:25   #13

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
Ken
I like Solomons Island, but my favorite place on the Chesapeake is Tangier Island. A magical place like stepping back in time 100 years.
If you go there tell Milton Parks that I said hello.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 29-06-2021, 15:30   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I like Solomons Island, but my favorite place on the Chesapeake is Tangier Island. A magical place like stepping back in time 100 years.
If you go there tell Milton Parks that I said hello.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Sounds nice but besides the accents you aren't gonna step too far back since they now have direct TV and High Speed Internet over on Tangier.

Now if you wanna hear some good preachin' that is the place to go but keep an eye on your wife if you are married.

The Tangier Preacher we had ended up with the married piano player.

Also, they are about 90 percent Trump supporters over there.

Figure that out if you can?!?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2021, 15:45   #15

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Maybe these may help.

Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fun Hops on the Chesapeake Bay.pdf (172.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: pdf Top 10 Anchorages in the Chesapeake Bay.pdf (625.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: pdf Dock Bars of the Chesapeake Bay.pdf (785.1 KB, 60 views)
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun