Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2017, 10:18   #1

Boat: longing for a trimaran
Golfing and Cruising

Hi. Just wondering if there are any active golfers in our community.
From what little has been posted, it seems that golfing and cruising don't go together, although I wonder how many beautiful courses there might be by the beach.
Anyway, my wife and I are planning to retire in 3 years and go sailing (learning and preparing at the moment). I am obviously into golfing now, but wondering if I will have to give up my clubs.
BTW. If you are near Jersey City and would like to play -- PM me.
Thanks in advance.
tatomaceda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Golfing and Cruising

Former golf professional here....it's a tough mix. Not many folks have enough time for two very time consuming sports. My former boat was named Casual Water, a golf term as well as a sailing term. It took three years of cruising for someone to recognize the golf connotation...that tells you how big of a golf community there is in the cruising one.

I am also a professional captain, and the only way I could find time for both is that either golf or sailing were/are my job at any particular time, so the other becomes the hobby. Hard to have both as hobbies!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 13:41   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

As an avid sailor and golfer, I find it easy to combine both. Most of a cruisers time is spent anchored or docked rather than actively sailing offshore. Once we arrive at a destination, the bulk of our time is leisure and it's easy to find some truly beautiful courses in destination cities, many close to shore.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 15:13   #4

Thank you for your replies.
Cruising will be the goal, but it would be nice to play golf whenever the destination allows. But, there seems to be no guide whatsoever on where these destinations are, and maybe it's time to start a catalog.
Would appreciate CF users posting the courses so we can add golf to our activities, in addition to snorkeling, diving, hiking, etc.
Old 10-08-2017, 14:11   #5

Boat: Vancouver 34

I go dinghy sailing on a Saturday unless a golf comp is on and I play golf on Sunday at Royal Lytham
removalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 14:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by removalizer View Post
I go dinghy sailing on a Saturday unless a golf comp is on and I play golf on Sunday at Royal Lytham
And I am just green - not because I am Irish, though people have read my last name as MACeda, I am envious. Lucky you!!
I live 5 minutes away from Trump Liberty National, where the President's Cup will be held this year, but have never played it. I volunteered for the even though, so at least I will get to tour it.
Old 10-08-2017, 15:18   #7

Boat: Various

While golf isn't our sport, we do have avid golfers who often are with us. They're now 32 and 29 years old and find courses all around, talking us into occasionally joining them. Both played on their college golf teams.

Now, golfers seem to love to gamble on the game. They see two girls and think they can't be very good. The girls always try to talk them out of playing for money but when the guys insist and ask their handicaps and the girls say "we don't need any, do you?" it finally hits the guys they may be in trouble. They don't use handicaps because they don't have them as scratch golfers. They generally do buy their opponents lunch or dinner with the money the take from them. Men just have a problem believing they can play.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 14:37   #8

BandB. I learned early in life never to underestimate the opposite sex. It's a good thing I do not bet on my game.
Old 11-08-2017, 15:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatomaceda View Post
BandB. I learned early in life never to underestimate the opposite sex. It's a good thing I do not bet on my game.
It's like going into the pool hall and thinking this girl can't play, watching her a moment, then challenging her and finding out she can beat anyone there. I never lost money but did have a funny situation in college. I was a junior and the girl was a freshman so we were about the same age, she wasn't much older than me. Well, we talked tennis and she said she'd love to play even though she wasn't very good. After we played, she did confess that in high school she was Pennsylvania State Champion. While not for money, my wife gets underestimated in basketball all the time so often it's a lot of teenage guys and I'll agree to take her on my team. They will double and triple team me and I'll just pass to her on the 3 point line and watch her make shot after shot. Then if they try to defend her they find out she can dribble and pass.

While we're not golfers, not even close, there are courses we've played on with Dena and Renee that are just incredible for the location and view. I think playing on islands and by the ocean is a great experience. They carry their clubs, we rent.
Old 11-08-2017, 15:28   #10

Boat: Seafarer36c

In case you linksters want to play golf and fix your boat, Green Cove Springs Marina, FL. has a public golf course out front. You can work on your boat and play golf in the same place.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 15:33   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
In case you linksters want to play golf and fix your boat, Green Cove Springs Marina, FL. has a public golf course out front. You can work on your boat and play golf in the same place.
You can do anything in Green Cove Springs. Hundreds of people reside there without ever even visiting it.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:06   #12

I recommend Istria in Croatia. It's very beautiful area with lot of marinas and good supply for sailboats. So it doesn't matter if you're there with your own boat or the boat's rented. And there are at least 5 golf courses in the vicinity. Great place to combine golf & sailing.
Marko_Vulesica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 14:13   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

we're circumnavigating adnwe borught our clubs - both of us are insane about golf - we play every chance we get

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising