Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2016, 13:56   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Goofy idea- underwater port

I know of at least two completely clear dinghies. Glass Hopper was the name of one. I have a strange photo of my Dad holding one over his head back in the Fifties.

The problem was that they got scratched up pretty quick. Both inside and out.

I don't see a problem with a clear panel in the hull as long as it's properly engineered.
Old 30-10-2016, 14:14   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Some high end sailboats have an underwater port, aft, for inspecting the prop and rudder. It might be Swan. I always thought it was a great idea.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreaminFred View Post
Having grown up in Florida, glass bottom boats were part of my reality. I've seen sailboats with ports lower on the hull, but have never hear about an underwater port. We love to snorkel and scuba dive, explore reefs and marine life- why don't we have viewing ports to enjoy sealif from the main cabin?

Obviously, there would be technical obstacles to overcome, but good thick acrylic is "clear"ly as strong as a fiberglass hull. Has anyone seen such a customization?

Be gentle with me.
Not sure I would mess with the hull's integrity BUT since I am in the security camera business I am also sure that high-def cams are the way to go, especially if placed in low-drag bubble mounts. A small thru hull for the wire is all that's needed and that seals a lot easier than a port. Nowdays you can get a kickass 8 or 16 port 2MP camera system for as cheap as the older analog systems and the current draw isn't much. You could have cams at the top of the mast, looking down to see the coral heads much easier than from the deck, see underwater in more directions than from a little port, etc. Your imagination is your limit.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 19:43   #19

In the mid 1970's, there was a boat in Ventura California, built by a local builder, named 'myth of zanzibar' which had a porthole underwater at the bow. It was a small port, about four inches, and the top was about ten inches below the surface when the boat was at rest in calm water. It was meant as a "dolphin watcher". I don't recall there being any problems reported by her owner, but it did not seem like a good idea to me.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 19:49   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I spent some time on a Swan 90 which had a large port under one of the salon tables, plus lighting. Take the top off the table, switch on the lights, and enjoy the show.

It was pretty cool! But the consequence of any damage or failure doesn't bear thinking about, so I wouldn't want it on my own boat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 19:49   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Both the Santa Cruz 52 and the 1D35 have them. In fact the SC52 has three of them.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 01:44   #22

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

A different slant... as it were! If you can see out, eh, then something on the water side can see in! Who knows what those highly intelligent dolphins and whales are doing as we sleep. I am sure there is some deviant behavior amongst these highly intelligent creatures. Secondly, a giant squid could eyeball who is who and which night snack his tentacles should reach for. No, it is just too much for me to deal with. No underwater lenses for the marine life to watch me.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 05:14   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Some high end sailboats have an underwater port, aft, for inspecting the prop and rudder. It might be Swan. I always thought it was a great idea.
A Baltic I worked on had one. It would go about three days after a cleaning before you had to clean it again.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water